HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Semi-interesting updates from Valley Metro Board of Directors Meeting (http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up..._Posting.pdf):
  • As the first spur lines come on board, the intention is to use a letter/color combination to designate different lines (i.e. 'A' train on a yellow background). The plan is to introduce this convention with the Tempe Street Car, as it is planned to be the first new line to open. The packet gives an example of what this might look like (this is not an actual alignment):

• Valley Metro named Stacy and Witbeck as Construction Manager for the Street Car. There has been some concern that the Trump administration would "zero out" federal transportation funding. But my understanding is that the Street Car is supposed to be funded by CMAQ funds, which are already authorized by law, passed by Congress and signed by Obama through 2020. So I don't think there is too much concern there.

• They're funding fare box refurbishments, which, from my experience, is needed.

Looks like the light rail I-10 alignment is here to stay...bummer. I guess I had some some hope left that Valley Metro/MAG would see the benefits of it going down McDowell or even Thomas instead.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:44 PM

I'm interested to see this map overlaid with the Yellow route chosen for commuter rail so we can see the compete extent of where train service will be throughout the Valley.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Semi-interesting updates from Valley Metro Board of Directors Meeting http://www.valleymetro.org/images/up...or_Posting.pdf
I fixed that for you. The PDF file should be working fine. You shouldn't put on "()" on your forums.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I fixed that for you. The PDF file should be working fine. You shouldn't put on "()" on your forums.
Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:33 AM

Any news for future light-rail expansion? How about go to ASU West or University of Phoenix Stadium or Scottsdale or anywhere else.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 12:18 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Any news for future light-rail expansion? How about go to ASU West or University of Phoenix Stadium or Scottsdale or anywhere else.
The first two destinations have been talked about in terms of long-term plans -- beyond what is currently in the pipeline. Scottsdale continues to show no interest in light rail anywhere within its borders. Completing just those lines shown on the map will be a major feat in light of uncertainty over federal funding.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
That Map includes all proposed expansions for the next ~15 years or so. Tis doesnt include an expanded PHX skyrain, nor does it cover the Commuter rail when/if that ever pans out.

I have heard of a few future ideas like more streetcars, A lightrail extension up to Skysong or Old Town and possibly a light rail line from Tempe south to Chandler Fashion or Downtown chandler

that is all very far out however.

If all the current proposals are built by 2030 that will be an amzing improvement from 2009 when the light rail first opened. 20 years we will have gone from nothing to a moderatly sized mass-transit systerm in a city everyone claims has no urabaninty and its ridership and TOD expextations have been wildly surpassed to boot.

Phoenix really is a mass-transit success story as unlikely as that would seem.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 6:20 PM

Sky Harbor Preps for $700M Sky Train Proj.

Nice to see the acceleration of the Sky Train expansion to Rental Car Center moving along. The city has issued RFP for scope of work. Highlights:

http://azbex.com/sky-harbor-preps-fo...train-project/
Quote:
Scope & Schedule of the Project

Not unexpectedly, the Airport won’t be shutting down in order to build the Sky Train project. “Airport operations come first; construction comes second,” said Kotchou. The complex project includes the following major scope items:
  • New guideway and track heading west from Terminal 3, extending past a future terminal and West Ground Transportation Center, crossing under I-10 and terminating at the existing Rental Car Center.
  • Two new stations (a West Ground Transportation Center and the Rental Car Center Station) and a partial buildout of a third station (future West Terminal).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 9:45 PM

Awesome news! Can't wait to start construction soon. Is SkyTrain will have stop at West Ground Transportation Center on 24th St & Sky Harbor Blvd, am I correct?

One more things for sure about West Terminal. Which airlines who will be at new West Terminal? I think foreign airlines will used at West Terminal or something like that. I just curious about Southwest Airlines. Will they ever moved to West Terminal? Because of this, the entire terminal 4 is way too extremely overcrowded. They don't have enough ticket counter space and leaking gate space, too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 12:45 AM
Skyriser

What I didn't realize about the above map is that it has the light rail going on Camelback instead of Indian School for the PV mall extension. I always thought Indian School was a dumb alignment of that extension.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 5:01 PM
self-important urbanista

Sky Harbor Traffic Down

"Passenger activity at Sky Harbor dropped 1.4 percent in 2016. That's the first time the airport has reported a passenger decline since 2013 and the biggest decline since 2009."

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...998&j=77393241

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 8:31 PM

Southwest Airlines making $40 million investment in Sky Harbor

Good to see SW making investments at Sky Harbor. They will also be taking over the new concourse @ T4.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...stment-in.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Good to see SW making investments at Sky Harbor. They will also be taking over the new concourse @ T4.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...stment-in.html
Yup, it going to be S1 concourse, and the final concourse to be built. They will take 8 gates. Will they ever have new international gate at new S1 concourse?

PS. Will they able connecting pediatrician bridge from N1-S1 concourse? Can they build a new bridge?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Yup, it going to be S1 concourse, and the final concourse to be built. They will take 8 gates. Will they ever have new international gate at new S1 concourse?

PS. Will they able connecting pediatrician bridge from N1-S1 concourse? Can they build a new bridge?
Because there is a 2 or 3 level garage on the west end of T4 I think it might be difficult to construct a pedestrian bridge. Also, it would depend on if the Sky Train track is in the way or was built to be able to accommodate a bridge over it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 11:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Trump Budget Proposal

Despite pledges of massive infrastructure investment, the initial budget proposal curtails federal funding for transit projects. As noted in the table, the South Central light rail extension could be in jeopardy because it is only partially through the federal funding process at this point:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-transit-hard/

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Despite pledges of massive infrastructure investment, the initial budget proposal curtails federal funding for transit projects. As noted in the table, the South Central light rail extension could be in jeopardy because it is only partially through the federal funding process at this point:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...-transit-hard/
Isn't Phoenix South Central & Tempe Streetcars on the list? Did they already approved it? Can they start construction soon?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:30 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Isn't Phoenix South Central & Tempe Streetcars on the list? Did they already approved it? Can they start construction soon?
I'm not sure about the Tempe Streetcar. South Central has completed numerous preliminary steps but is not yet covered by a full funding agreement with the federal government. That makes it vulnerable.

Edit: I just took another look at the chart Yonah Freemark shared. Tempe Streetcar is on the same list of vulnerable projects. Like the South Central light rail extension, it has achieved several milestones on the path to federal dollars, but doesn't yet have a funding agreement in place. If push comes to shove, and we have only local money to rely on, I hope South Central goes forward, even if the Tempe Streetcar has to be delayed or scrapped. That's not because of any negative feelings about Tempe, but instead the uneven results nationwide with streetcars that operate in mixed traffic.

Last edited by exit2lef; Mar 17, 2017 at 12:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Phoenix Street Maintenance

"Staff is recommending companies that cut into new or recently maintained streets cover resurfacing costs. They also plan to meet regularly with utility companies and other stakeholders to coordinate schedules so public and private crews can work at the same time and reduce the number of cuts."

http://kjzz.org/content/447134/how-p...asting-streets

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 11:44 PM

WE haven't hear any news about high-speed trains from Phoenix to Las Vegas yet? Haven't they already got an approved yet? What are waiting for?!?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
WE haven't hear any news about high-speed trains from Phoenix to Las Vegas yet? Haven't they already got an approved yet? What are waiting for?!?
I've heard of no support for this from Governor Ducey, the Arizona state legislature, or the Trump administration, so I wouldn't expect to see this any time soon unless it is privately funded.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest