HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 10:24 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
If you can see both skylines from Six Flags, then there might be a building tall enough in Trenton to see both skylines from. Trenton is close to the straightline midpoint between Manhattan and Center City.
The tallest in Trenton is 203, less than half of Kingda Ka, so I am not sure if you can.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:00 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Earth's longest straight line on land:

~11,240 km

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 12:12 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
There were (are) white Europeans, the Sami people, who survived in isolated hunter-gatherer clans in the Scandanavian arctic well into the 20th century. They were not true "uncontacted peoples" in the strict sense; there is genetic evidence that they were exposed to the black death, and since the 18th century, a small number of missionaries have documented various insane-bordering-on-suicidal treks into the arctic wilderness to find Sami and convert them. Nevertheless, if the word "isolated" means anything, then most Sami were fully isolated from European society until around 100 years ago.

After being subjected to forced-scandanavian-assimilation policies from the turn of the century until the 1950's, most are now integrated into modern scandanavian society.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1mi_people

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:28 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ sounds like the ainu in japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
This is something I think a lot of North Americans don't appreciate: How far north Europe is. I've often wondered how much long summer days and long winter nights have affected their history, culture and development. But I guess that's another topic.
wouldnt it be nice if america had a gulf stream to keep things temperate? instead we get arctic blasts!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ sounds like the ainu in japan.

wouldnt it be nice if america had a gulf stream to keep things temperate? instead we get arctic blasts!
Gulf Stream is apparently weakening/shifting. Soon Europe will suffer the same winters we do. And it’s not like Europe is some tropical paradise in the winter as is. London is warmer than NYC in January with much less snow - no doubt - but the difference is rather marginal.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Did anyone ever figure out if you can see Detroit and Cleveland from Cedar Point? Seems likely, since both cities are roughly 60 miles from Sandusky on a straight line.
I've certainly tried to find Cleveland and Detroit from the top of Cedar Point's taller coasters, but to no avail.

You probably need a ridiculously clear day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:51 PM
All man. Half nuts.

I'll just put this here and let you all enjoy browsing for the next 30 minutes:

https://twitter.com/amazingmap?lang=en

and don't forget this one, too:

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:37 PM

Quote:
And that's on a cloudy day. Did anyone ever figure out if you can see Detroit and Cleveland from Cedar Point? Seems likely, since both cities are roughly 60 miles from Sandusky on a straight line.
From a height of 420 feet (tallest roller coaster at Cedar Point) a building at a distance of 60 miles would have to be at least 813 feet tall to be visible above the horizon. So Detroit wouldn't be visible at all. Key Tower in Cleveland at 947 feet would theoretically be visible, but only the tip, and it would probably get lost in the trees and intervening terrain.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:00 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
I'll just put this here and let you all enjoy browsing for the next 30 minutes:

https://twitter.com/amazingmap?lang=en
Thanks for that!

A few geographical oddities that stuck out to me from that link:

*The northernmost part of Brazil is closer to Canada than to the southernmost part of Brazil

*Technically, at 730 km France's longest border is with Brazil (via French Guiana)

*Melbourne, AUS is closer to Antarctica than it is to Darwin, AUS

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
and don't forget this one, too:

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps

Interesting one from that link:

None of the countries that surrounded Poland before 1990 exist today

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:08 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by proghousehead View Post
Gulf Stream is apparently weakening/shifting. Soon Europe will suffer the same winters we do. And it’s not like Europe is some tropical paradise in the winter as is. London is warmer than NYC in January with much less snow - no doubt - but the difference is rather marginal.
warmer and much less snow = marginal? okurrr.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

do you guys want to talk about the missouri bootheel? it dips further south than kentucky or virginia, they grow rice and cotton in weird sandy soil, and (allegedly) has gators. it is part of a failed continental rift perhaps similar to the red sea and is the great half-healed geologic scar of the mid-continent.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 6:52 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
And that's on a cloudy day. Did anyone ever figure out if you can see Detroit and Cleveland from Cedar Point? Seems likely, since both cities are roughly 60 miles from Sandusky on a straight line.
i'll ask around, maybe, but i dont think so from cleveland proper.

however, you definitely can sometimes in places as you go along the western suburb waterfronts, or just out in the water a little ways from shore in a boat.

also, except from clear days on the key or terminal tower observation decks you can't see canada from cleveland, but you can see it kind of regularly actually from either direction as a fata morgana/superior mirage depending on the weather. also these days at times you can see the red lights on canadian wind turbines from cleveland, but i think that is a fata morgana type weather effect too, not an actual straight view of it.

of course, they are always building new and taller roller coasters at cedar point, so maybe we can take that into account too, the views could change every season.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:22 PM

I posted a picture from twitter here once where you could make out Cleveland from the top of the Millennium Force roller coaster at Cedar Point. I'm unable to find that post now though

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I posted a picture from twitter here once where you could make out Cleveland from the top of the Millennium Force roller coaster at Cedar Point. I'm unable to find that post now though
Just found a tweet that says you can see downtown Detroit from Millennium Force, so I guess we somewhat have confirmation: https://twitter.com/Tripleb3amdream/...63385745817600

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:12 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

alrighty then -- cedar point is on a peninsula, so it sticks out there, i'm not surprized.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
El Paso is closer to Los Angeles than it is to Beaumont.
Beaumont is also closer to Jacksonville, FL than it is to El Paso!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:09 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

OK so I couldn't really figure out why the Missouri bootheel exists. It’s kind of funny that a midwestern state is just like “Uh i’m gonna just stick my...uh finger way into the south like THIS!” I can only imagine that its the result of alcohol.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
OK so I couldn't really figure out why the Missouri bootheel exists. It’s kind of funny that a midwestern state is just like “Uh i’m gonna just stick my...uh finger way into the south like THIS!” I can only imagine that its the result of alcohol.
It's because the major landowner in that area, who got his land from the French settlers who moved to Canada after the Louisiana Purchase, knew that Missouri would be the most important state in the region due to the slavery issue, and so he petitioned for his land to be included in Missouri instead of Arkansas.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:15 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

of course, they are always building new and taller roller coasters at cedar point, so maybe we can take that into account too, the views could change every season.
While you can never be too sure about what cedar point might have up its sleeve for its next trick, it's important to remember that there are only 8 (or 9*) full-circuit roller coasters in the entire world that exceed 300' in height, and while 2 of them are located at Cedar Point, they haven't built a coaster of that height in nearly two decades now. Top thrill dragster might remain the tallest coaster at the point for some time to come.

The World's tallest full-circuit roller coasters

1. Kingda Ka - Six Flags Great Adventure (NJ) - 2005 - 456.0 ft

2. Top Thrill Dragster- Cedar Point (OH) - 2003 - 420.0 ft

3. Red Force - Ferrari Land (Spain) - 2017 - 367.3 ft

4. Fury 325 - Carowinds (NC) - 2015 - 325.0 ft

5. Steel Dragon 2000 - Nagashima Spa Land (Japan) - 2000 - 318.3 ft

6. Millennium Force - Cedar Point (OH) - 2000 - 310.0 ft

7. Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland (ON) - 2012 - 306.0 ft

8. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion (VA) - 2010 - 305.0 ft

*9. Orion - Kings Island (OH) - 2020 - 287.0 ft (technically, Orion only stands 287 ft. above the ground at its apex, but its first drop is a full 300 ft. high due to sloping terrain)

source: https://rcdb.com/

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 12, 2021 at 3:06 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions