HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:08 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Check out Elon's Instagram. There is a pic of the weird looking NYC Taxi clearly with Austin DT in the background from the S1st bridge.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Check out Elon's Instagram. There is a pic of the weird looking NYC Taxi clearly with Austin DT in the background from the S1st bridge.
It's a random artists rendering of the Tesla Cybertruck but in NYC Taxi color/print.

---
Tesla building their next Gigafactory in Austin would be HUGE news and you can expect to see plenty of Teslas around the area. I live close to the factory in the Bay Area and legit all you see here are Teslas.

Cleaner air coming soon to Austin

--
Just thought about this.... maybe Elon is going to push the sales of Cybertrucks to the people in Texas since majority of people have trucks? This is a prime market to build and sell the Cybertruck vs. in California

Cybertruck production is slated to begin in late 2021, with more models being offered by 2022. I looked into how long it took their first Gigafactory in Reno, NV took and the time line was as follows:

September 2014 - Announcement
January 2016 - First production of just Powerwalls and Powerpacks
July 2016 - Grand Opening

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:42 PM

Quote:
what's his official instagram? not seeing a verified profile when I search

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Was it a downtown thing, or did we all imagine that part?
never heard it was any particular spot.....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:33 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Heard a rumor to expect a BIG announcement this year (sooner than later) from a major employer. I know more, but can’t say.

If it goes down, needless to say, Austin skyline will never be the same(I know).....again. Hoping on hope.
Not being nitpicky... Okay well maybe I am a little lol but you did say "Austin skyline will never be the same" So that generally refers to the DT area. Granted a skyline can be any profile of buildings but Austin only has one real skyline and that is and will continue to be for awhile Downtown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
the shirt sponsor was signed a few weeks ago, with the announcement coming very soon. it's a local company and is among the top 4 jersey sponsorship deals in MLS.

they've already turned down a 10yr, $35m stadium naming rights deal. i don't think we'll see a gigastadium announced any time soon, but whoever they get is going to have to be pretty big. still it would be pretty cool to have the giant shade structure covered with Tesla solar panels.
Part of what the Sponsor pays for is their name painted on top of both canopies for passing planes to see so I don't think we'll see many solar panels.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
This is a fan page.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Not being nitpicky... Okay well maybe I am a little lol but you did say "Austin skyline will never be the same" So that generally refers to the DT area. Granted a skyline can be any profile of buildings but Austin only has one real skyline and that is and will continue to be for awhile Downtown.
Haha....not sure when I said that.....I probably was headed down a rabbit hole of what if's.

All I heard was a huge announcement of jobs (she mentioned a particular company) was to be announced last week, nothing more. So far, my source has disappointed me.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Yes, this was my question, too. Gigafactory needs tons of open space -- so it's surely a far east or far south side project. Maybe at the 130/71 junction? Or near wherever Amazon's doing its Project Charm UltraMegaSuperWarehouse?

But if you look at Tesla's Palo Alto HQ, it's clearly suburban -- even exurban -- certainly not a highrise. If that's corporate preference, I'd expect them to build up in the Tech Ridge area, or maybe land with all four feet in the former Eightfold development. Something similar. But not a DT office environment.

That's why I'm curious to see urbancore chime in. This is a huge thing, but maybe not HIS huge thing?
I would think they would want it along 130 in order to get down to Brownsville or up to their factory near Waco. I took 130 from San Antonio via I-10 and it was glorious.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
I can't remember whether you've been willing to do process of elimination lol, but was it Tesla? Or are you not going to ever say what the company was – which I understand.

But this Tesla thing is interesting. Not sure why Musk changed his handle to "Austin, TX" given that the conference is 5 hours south. Could you imagine an urban Tesla campus at Railyard with massive expansion in Texas corporate Ops to support a relatively close Giga plant.

But I see this beyond just Tesla. Musk could also house offices for SpaceX, as others originally opined. He could additionally expand corporate offices for The Boring Company, which is working on the Loop (which is high-speed underground tunnel transportation) and somewhat humorously, also becoming an actual brick manufacturer from the resources dug out from the tunnels.

It's not hard to surmise he could have plans to test-drive this so to speak as a solution to Austin's transportation issues, maybe between Downtown and the Domain for example or if you model it off of what he's proposing between DC and Baltimore, maybe a route between ATX and San Antonio.

Or how about producing the SpaceX rockets on the same real estate as the giga factory (separate companies, separate leases ) and then transporting them down to Boca Chica. (Maybe even via a Loop tunnel.. not quite there yet)

But in all seriousness, Austin could be a very strategic location for all of Musk's ventures, from Tesla to SpaceX to The Boring Company (Loop) if he's interested in an "infamous" HQ2 of sorts.

To my knowledge they don't have a ton of corporate offices outside of Palo, Alto save for some adjacent office space at some of their plants in the states and globally.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:34 PM

The ABJ has an article. It's one of their three monthly free ones if your cookies are clear.

Quote:
Rumors have also recently swirled in real estate circles that Tesla is looking for office space in the Austin area, though as of yet no leases have been reported.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n..._news_headline

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
The buildings are oddly photoshopped in this image - looks like they are stretched vertically.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The ABJ has an article. It's one of their three monthly free ones if your cookies are clear.

"Rumors have also recently swirled in real estate circles that Tesla is looking for office space in the Austin area, though as of yet no leases have been reported."

again with the rumors. the one thing that is certain is that no one knows anything lol

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
I can't remember whether you've been willing to do process of elimination lol, but was it Tesla? Or are you not going to ever say what the company was – which I understand.

But this Tesla thing is interesting. Not sure why Musk changed his handle to "Austin, TX" given that the conference is 5 hours south. Could you imagine an urban Tesla campus at Railyard with massive expansion in Texas corporate Ops to support a relatively close Giga plant.

But I see this beyond just Tesla. Musk could also house offices for SpaceX, as others originally opined. He could additionally expand corporate offices for The Boring Company, which is working on the Loop (which is high-speed underground tunnel transportation) and somewhat humorously, also becoming an actual brick manufacturer from the resources dug out from the tunnels.

It's not hard to surmise he could have plans to test-drive this so to speak as a solution to Austin's transportation issues, maybe between Downtown and the Domain for example or if you model it off of what he's proposing between DC and Baltimore, maybe a route between ATX and San Antonio.

Or how about producing the SpaceX rockets on the same real estate as the giga factory (separate companies, separate leases ) and then transporting them down to Boca Chica. (Maybe even via a Loop tunnel.. not quite there yet)

But in all seriousness, Austin could be a very strategic location for all of Musk's ventures, from Tesla to SpaceX to The Boring Company (Loop) if he's interested in an "infamous" HQ2 of sorts.

To my knowledge they don't have a ton of corporate offices outside of Palo, Alto save for some adjacent office space at some of their plants in the states and globally.
I kind of doubt Tesla would want an office downtown. It's too hardware-centric of a company. A suburban location would make more sense, where there is plenty of room for Cybertrucks and whatnot.

Tesla does make a ton of sense as the answer to "which tech company might make a big bet on Austin".

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post

It appears the story is taken directly from this thread, including the rumors 'recently swirling in real estate circles' about Tesla looking for office space in Austin. They just swapped skyscraper forum speculation for real estate circles and called it a day.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
It appears the story is taken directly from this thread, including the rumors 'recently swirling in real estate circles' about Tesla looking for office space in Austin. They just swapped skyscraper forum speculation for real estate circles and called it a day.
I had the exact same thought.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 2:10 AM

Headline

Tesla shares crater 17% after coronavirus delays Model 3 deliveries

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/05/tesla-coronavirus-carmaker-plans-delay-to-model-3-deliveries-in-china.html

Is this really a good thing???

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 4:01 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin