Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Today, 8:01 PM
Community Guy

Looks like an arena!

All from http://www.rogersplace.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Today, 8:21 PM
CanadiEn errant

It does not mean they'd necessarily want to play there with the home team, but it does not seem that most NHLers have the hate on for Quebec City:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17088791.html

Old Posted Today, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
#1 stupid comment in this thread. Congrats.
Nah his delivery was terrible but he he does have a point. Do you notice how open bettman was about talking Vegas and the ownership group in vegas at the allstar game last night? But Strombo asked him about Canada and not only wouldn't he mention Quebec, He wouldn't even mention Canada he just said we may in the future be open to the discussions of Expansion but not right now. The NHL has made it very clear they want to be in seattle and vegas. When the whole coyotes saga was coming to an end, Seattle Who had no owner nor arena was in the running before Quebec who had both. Daly has mention Seattle numerous times NOT ONE NHL OFFICIAL has ever directly mentioned Quebec unless to reassure everyone they have no plans on expanding nor relocating there.

Don't freak out on me Quebec. This isn't the way I want things. this is just how I truly feel about the situation. I really don't believe the NHL Nor players want to be in Quebec. Winnipeg is finding this with Evander Kane. Eric lindros killed Quebec in my opinion Shane Doan wouldn't even sign with the yotes without knowing for sure he wasn't gonna end up in QC. The difference is Winnipeg has changed vastly in 20 years and Quebec hasn't as much. On the NHL side it comes down to Television Revenues, cooperate sponsorship and the fact that again like Edmonton,Winnipeg,Calgary and Buffalo the city in itself is cold and it sucks and theirs nothing there that can make up for that like St Paul or Toronto, Montreal. Add the fact that It's a mainly french speaking community and it becomes an NHL players nightmare. Especially a young draft pick. I'm sorry to say it. I'm a prairie boy so im not exempt from this I grew up with no stars basically ever playing in Edmonton and now as a jets fan I'm gonna see the same in Winnipeg.

I also agree on the quebec arena. I like the sprint Center but for some reason I'm not as fond of the new arena in QB. And I don't think Rogers place will age quickly. Edmonton has a really good track record of keeping things in extremely good shape for decades. They will keep it polished for 40 years+ every month if that's what it takes to protect their investment. Rexall,Commonwealth and Telus field all look as great or better than they did brand new. I bet in 20 years it looks identical to the open date

Old Posted Today, 8:58 PM

Quebec City is really close to Montréal, Winnipeg is in central Canada.

Old Posted Today, 9:02 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
The difference is Winnipeg has changed vastly in 20 years and Quebec hasn't as much.
I am not from Quebec City and not a Nords fan but... care to elaborate on this?

Other than functioning in English as opposed to French, I'd like to know what Winnipeg has in 2015 that Quebec City doesn't.

Old Posted Today, 9:13 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
Nah his delivery was terrible but he he does have a point. Do you notice how open bettman was about talking Vegas and the ownership group in vegas at the allstar game last night? But Strombo asked him about Canada and not only wouldn't he mention Quebec, He wouldn't even mention Canada he just said we may in the future be open to the discussions of Expansion but not right now. The NHL has made it very clear they want to be in seattle and vegas. When the whole coyotes saga was coming to an end, Seattle Who had no owner nor arena was in the running before Quebec who had both. Daly has mention Seattle numerous times NOT ONE NHL OFFICIAL has ever directly mentioned Quebec unless to reassure everyone they have no plans on expanding nor relocating there.
I actually mostly agree with you. In an ideal world for the NHL, it would be an all-American league except for Montreal, Toronto and maybe Vancouver.

But the reality is that there is a limited number of people interested in owning NHL franchises in American cities. Many large American cities where the NHL would really like to be have absolutely no owner prospects whatsoever.

Given that you'd be hard-pressed to find a greedier bunch than the NHL owners, all of this makes expansion or relocation to Canadian cities a definite possibility for purely financial reasons, in light of the more limited options stateside.

A bigger question mark that has not been raised about the NHL in Quebec City is that the prospective owner for the team (and the only one that's been seriously talked about), Pierre Karl Péladeau, will likely be the new leader of the PQ and perhaps Premier of Quebec one day. He's unlikely to juggle both that job description and ownership of an NHL team.

Old Posted Today, 9:44 PM
Слава Україні

^^ The declining $CAD also puts an extra wrinkle in any Canadian NHL expansion talks. There were other extenuating circumstances of course, but when the dollar was in the 60s, all Canadian teams except the Leafs and possibly the Canadiens were feeling the pinch.

Old Posted Today, 9:47 PM
CanadiEn errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
^^ The declining $CAD also puts an extra wrinkle in any Canadian NHL expansion talks. There were other extenuating circumstances of course, but when the dollar was in the 60s, all Canadian teams except the Leafs and possibly the Canadiens were feeling the pinch.
Goode pointe!

Old Posted Today, 9:49 PM

The MTS Centre will be getting some major upgrades over the summer! This includes:

-278 Premium Loge seats hung below the current first row of the 300 level
-high definition centre hung scoreboard 2.5 times larger than the old one.
-new 360 degree power ring
-new state-of-the-art control room to allow the production of high def images throughout MTS Centre

Details here:

http://jets.nhl.com/v2/ext/files/mts...08712_22625798

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada