HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:20 PM

I-81 community grid proposal advances to feds for review

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2020/0...or-review.html

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 1:33 PM

There’s a new plan for realigning Hartford’s highways. Is the third time the charm?

https://ctmirror.org/2021/03/17/ther...ime-the-charm/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:25 PM

With support in Washington, leaders say ‘this is the moment’ to plan removal of Baltimore’s Highway to Nowhere

https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimor...r-it-down.html

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal has dismantled most of the Bonaventure Expressway.

The Unconventional Beauty of Montreal’s New Bonaventure Expressway

Quote:
Since 1967, off-island visitors to Montreal would swoop in from the south, over the Champlain Bridge, pass the iconic Farine Five Roses sign, and arrive via the Bonaventure Expressway; passing over a derelict no man’s land of factories and slums known as Griffintown before arriving in the heart of the city.

“The idea was to build an elevated expressway to get cars through the area as quickly as possible,” says Simon Pouliot, an urban designer with the City of Montreal who has worked on the team in charge of the new Bonaventure since 2012.

The expressway was built for Expo 67, the world’s fair that led to the construction of Montreal’s Metro system, a man-made island, a Buckminster Fuller geodesic dome, and the Turcot interchange, which is currently being rebuilt over five years to the tune of $3.67 billion CDN.

But the Bonaventure was an eyesore and contributed to Griffintown’s isolation and blight. So, in the early 2000s, the city decided to kill it and rebuild an urban boulevard in its place.

bloomberg
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 1:44 PM

^Great stuff. You love to see it!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 2:05 PM

Taking shape: I-579 ‘cap’ project starting to look like a park near former Civic Arena

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/tr...s/202103240165

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:56 PM

Not news, but I am so glad this is happening. I-375 was built to deliberately destroy a thriving black neighborhood known as Black Bottom. Tearing it down won't bring back what was lost, but it will create new opportunities for the next generation.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2019/10/...evard-by-2024/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:25 AM

Wow, these photos are impressive. The development is remarkable.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifactwo View Post
Wow, these photos are impressive. The development is remarkable.
We're gonna keep em' coming as best we can! With all the buzz around infrastructure and the inclusion of community justice grants, there's a good chance we'll get to see some of the worst US urban freeways get major redesigns. It's a once in a generation chance to right some of these past wrongs. Very exciting times!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 2:43 PM

City starts planning to remove more of the Inner Loop

https://www.rochestercitynewspaper.c...t?oid=10475096

Rochester removed a portion of its inner loop freeway from 2016-2018 and its pushing to remove the rest of it. Take a look at the before and after images. What a transformation!

Before

After

Inner Loop North Transformation Study Area

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 5:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Too bad a portion of the sunken freeway couldn't have been just capped and used for public transit of some sort instead of just being filled in. Seems like kind of a waste of some very expensive subterranean infrastructure.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Too bad a portion of the sunken freeway couldn't have been just capped and used for public transit of some sort instead of just being filled in. Seems like kind of a waste of some very expensive subterranean infrastructure.
Removing a freeway is almost a power of ten cheaper than building a cap, especially when the freeway being considered is oversized or underused, as is/was the case with Rochester's Inner Loop. It's a lot more difficult and expensive to develop the land over top of existing freeway lanes. Removal allows that land to be redeveloped much more easily/cheaply and at a much more ambitious scale because it allows for deeper foundations built on top of fill. Caps are essentially massive land bridges that have to be maintained long term, whereas filling in a freeway is a one time expense. Buses can get people where they need to go at a fraction of the cost of a light rail or subway.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:59 PM
Show me the blueprints

I know all that. That's not what I'm asking about. Are you saying it would't have been just slightly wise to preserve a narrow tunnel on one side of that sub-grade row for a light rail easement even if there are no current plans for such a need? Subterranean work is wildly expensive and it just reasonable that such a conversion should have at least occurred. I don't know I guess I'm not all that familiar with Rochester.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 9:04 PM

San Francisco: Balboa Park Station Area Plan

This one was adopted and remains a part of the SF Planning Code, but has been put aside. It would have capped a block of Interstate 280. I hesitate to even mention it, because bringing it up seems to make people very angry.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 10:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

^That would be awesome!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I know all that. That's not what I'm asking about. Are you saying it would't have been just slightly wise to preserve a narrow tunnel on one side of that sub-grade row for a light rail easement even if there are no current plans for such a need? Subterranean work is wildly expensive and it just reasonable that such a conversion should have at least occurred. I don't know I guess I'm not all that familiar with Rochester.
Interestingly they did have a subway once:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_subway

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:44 AM

DC is building the Capitol Crossing development over I-395.

"This project will consist of five new mixed use buildings totaling over 2.2 million square feet. Capitol Crossing is expected to create 4,000 construction jobs and 8,000 permanent jobs, all while dramatically improving the utility infrastructure supporting local neighborhoods. Once completed, annual new property tax revenue of $40 million is expected. Capitol Crossing will deliver almost 70,000 square feet of retail space, over 1,100 parking spaces, and 440 bicycle parking spaces."

https://dmped.dc.gov/page/capitol-crossing

Here is the website for the project: https://capitolcrossingdc.com/project/ .

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:54 AM

Can we post railroad caps? San Francisco has a plan to both remove and reconfigure the terminal portion of I-280 and also cover and develop the CalTrain tracks adjacent:

Here is how things are now: The CalTrain tracks terminate in the city in a rail yard with passenger terminal at 4th & Townsend Sts. Ultimately it is planned to tunnel from there to the new Salesforce Terminal as part of the CA HSR project (CalTrain and CA HSR will use the same tracks).

Also, the I-280 Freeway comes to ground level from an elevated structure next to the Railyard and joins the Embarcadero roadway (created upon the tearing down of the former Embarcadero Freeway, another elevated structure previously posted about).

https://socketsite.com/archives/2013...he_end_of.html

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/gill...?cb=1357863486

The new plan would take down the freeway structure north of 16th St, where the freeway ROW would become a surface parkway similar to what has been done with the Embarcadero and

https://socketsite.com/archives/2015...-and-turn.html

In addition, and more dramatically, the railyard would be covered over and developed:

https://socketsite.com/archives/2013...ng_street.html

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 11:35 AM

Dupont Circle-- Washington, DC

There are plans to cap over the trench that Connecticut Avenue sits in north of Dupont Circle. A park would be built above this section of Connecticut Avenue. This is one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in Washington.

Dupont will get a new park over Connecticut Avenue

Greater Greater Washington
June 3, 2014

Image courtesy of Greater Greater Washington.

"Besides simply adding park space, which is always valuable, this would better connect the two sides of Connecticut Avenue, and add plenty of room to enjoy food from the eateries nearby. Further, since this would not be National Park Service land, it would be possible to program this space with events much more flexibly than NPS regulations allow for the circle itself.

Behind the buildings on the west side of Dupont Circle is a fairly large surface parking lot, which is a rarity in the neighborhood and not the best use of space when it could have needed housing. However, one argument against developing this space (besides it being up to the property owner) is that the farmers’ market uses that parking lot and adjacent 20th Street. This park could possibly become the new site of the farmers’ market."

https://ggwash.org/view/34930/dupont...ecticut-avenue

Here is some more information about this proposal: https://ctavestreetscapeplaza.com/ .

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Can we post railroad caps? San Francisco has a plan to both remove and reconfigure the terminal portion of I-280 and also cover and develop the CalTrain tracks adjacent:

Here is how things are now: The CalTrain tracks terminate in the city in a rail yard with passenger terminal at 4th & Townsend Sts. Ultimately it is planned to tunnel from there to the new Salesforce Terminal as part of the CA HSR project (CalTrain and CA HSR will use the same tracks).

Also, the I-280 Freeway comes to ground level from an elevated structure next to the Railyard and joins the Embarcadero roadway (created upon the tearing down of the former Embarcadero Freeway, another elevated structure previously posted about).
Of course you can . This makes so much sense, it makes you wonder what civil engineers were smoking in the latter half of the 20th century. I'm seeing a pattern here with SF. Tear down a freeway and make it a boulevard, and then redevelop former waterfront industrial sites into thriving mixed use neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development