HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:28 AM

The Wichita Aerospace Needle

I have proposed my idea to the city of Wichita. I call it The Wichita Aerospace Needle. If built it would be similar to The Seattle Space Needle but would be in the shape of a plane at the top instead of a spaceship. It would be 600 feet tall and would have an observation area at least 500 feet AGL and maybe a BBQ restaurant. Another thing thought of would be The Wichita Aerospace Monument and would be similar to The Washington Monument. It would be made out of concrete and have a concrete plane at the top of it. It too would be of similar height to The Wichita Aerospace Needle that I proposed. Tomorrow I am going to go before The Greater Wichita Partnership and see what they think. I have talked to many people in the Wichita area and they love my idea. Tell me what you think about it. I may have to start a go fund me page for $$$ to have it built. Also some of the city council I have talked with seem interested in my idea.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:02 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Ive been to Wichita to visit a good friend several times, and I think Wichita would love this.

I would make the plane shape at the top basically a triangle.. a delta-wing plane.. rather than a typical swept-wing plane. This will allow for a more efficient –and better looking– support structure (the "needle" part) under the plane.

I would also design the cross-section of the "plane" so that it doesn't generate any lift or downforce in the event of a tornado

Finally, at the base of this thing, you could have an aerospace museum, and have it designed like a modern airport terminal

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
Ive been to Wichita to visit a good friend several times, and I think Wichita would love this.

I would make the plane shape at the top basically a triangle.. a delta-wing plane.. rather than a typical swept-wing plane. This will allow for a more efficient –and better looking– support structure (the "needle" part) under the plane.

I would also design the cross-section of the "plane" so that it doesn't generate any lift or downforce in the event of a tornado

Finally, at the base of this thing, you could have an aerospace museum, and have it designed like a modern airport terminal
Thank you I love your design idea. The museum sounds awesome and I would like a restaurant to be put in as well. Another thing is sharing the names of the people who brought the aviation industries with their names posted on a plaque. I will share this with the city.

Last edited by Shakespeare2016; Feb 8, 2021 at 5:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:32 PM

A group in my hometown of Dayton, Ohio (where the Wright brothers lived) is proposing something similar:

https://triumphofflight.org/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2022, 10:58 PM

Here is a petition for change in Wichita. Sign it if you don't mind. https://www.change.org/p/the-wichita-aerospace-needle

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development