HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 7:39 PM

SAN FRANCISCO | 1601-1637 Market St | 100 FT | 10 FL

Quote:
. . . a proposed 584-unit development to rise up to eight ten stories in height across the Market Street parcels upon which the five-story Civic Center Hotel (1601 Market), Local 38 Plumbers and Pipefitters Union hall (1621 Market), and retail building at 1629‐1637 Market Street currently sit . . . .

As designed by David Baker Architects and Kennerly Architecture, the 1629 Market Street project would be constructed in two phases and preserve the existing facades of the Civic Center Hotel and the retail building along Market Street, behind which a total of six new structures would be constructed.

In addition to the 584 units of housing, of which 107 would be below-market-rate, supportive efficiency units, the project includes 13,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space, a new 27,000 square foot hall and office space for the Union, an underground garage for 316 cars, and over 23,000 square feet of publicly accessible open space, including the 18,000-square-foot “Brady Park,” at the corner of Brady and Colton.

And as envisioned, the BART ventilation shaft on the site would be “transformed into an iconic sculptural element” while a landscaped public mews would providing a pedestrian connection between the park and Market.

(Site Plan)

(Now)

(As Proposed)

https://socketsite.com/archives/2016...-revealed.html

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:35 AM

I walked by on August 5, 2020 and took this photo - The old buildings on the site have been gutted with only the walls on Market Street to be retained with a new structure behind.

8/5/2020 - 1629 Market St. San Francisco

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 6:42 AM

I took this photo on July 7, 2020 of the rig that is being used to prepare the foundation. The building in construction in the background is 30 Otis Street. The brick building on the left will be remodeled.

1629 Market St. & 30 Otis St.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2020, 11:43 PM

12/22/2020 - Excavation for the foundation

1601-1637 Market Street - view 2

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 8:31 AM

View from Colton & Colusa Streets of the foundation work.

The high rise on the left is the former California automobile office tower which was stripped of it's concrete skin & remodeled into an apartment building. The white building on the right was built by Bank of America, since sold. There was to be a twin tower next to it but the B of A did not like the taxes the city put on it's business & moved it's operations to the east bay. There was a heliport atop the building but neighbors complained about the noise when the tests were done. The bank was going to have daily flights to bring document and such to the site.

1601-1637 Market Development

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 10:34 PM

01/01/2021 - My first construction picture of 2021 shows steel beams now visible on Market Street.

Steel Beams 1/1/2021

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 11:16 PM

Thanks for your work keeping us up with this project, Jerry.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 12:07 AM

Keeping up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Thanks for your work keeping us up with this project, Jerry.
Thanks Pedestrian - I usually walk by on the way to Safeway. I really enjoy exploring the city & look forward to maybe getting about more when it is safe. If reincarnated (and I see no proof of it) I would be happy to be an architect! Then the guys & gals in this forum can heap their criticisms on me. :------>))

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 10:52 PM

01/10/2021 - Some hefty steel beams! Great progress since my last post 10 days ago. A reminder that the Civic Center Hotel will be updated when a new building is complete in the complex. This will be the new Plumbers Union Hall & offices.
1601-1637 Market Street, San Francisco

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:44 PM

Last week
, permits were filed to bring cranes onsite for the construction of the five-building development. As well, updated renderings compared with previous posts are included.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:52 PM
heavy user of walkability

flurry of updates here today!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:52 AM

I am almost sad that we won’t be able to see the poorly redone “C” in Civic when this is complete.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
I am almost sad that we won’t be able to see the poorly redone “C” in Civic when this is complete.
ha! hadn't noticed that

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 9:08 PM

View from the 24th Floor of the Fox Plaza

1601-1637 Market Street, San Francisco

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 9:12 AM

showing relation to 30 Otis

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:18 PM

^^In the renderings it looks like this building, for which the steel is now going up, incorporates the Plumbers' Union Hall but in the photos I can't see evidence of that yet. Could you tell if anything's happening with the Union Hall?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
^^In the renderings it looks like this building, for which the steel is now going up, incorporates the Plumbers' Union Hall but in the photos I can't see evidence of that yet. Could you tell if anything's happening with the Union Hall?
The Plumbers Union will move into this new building that is currently being constructed, so considering that it has been stated that the project will be constructed in two phases, I think the current hall will be demolished once the new one is completed.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:44 PM

To my eye it looks like all one building. But they could build it in 2 sections I guess.

Or now that I stare at it awhile, I think I get it. The Union Hall is actually vacating the ground under their current building and shifting a bit eastward making space for the "B" Building.

Last edited by Pedestrian; Feb 12, 2021 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 10:22 PM

Union Hall - Looking at the new steel frame the building is separated into 4 sections which matches the artist rendering of the new union hall. The new union hall is being built in what was for many years a parking lot. I will be glad to see that horribly ugly gray marble clad building demolished.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:50 PM

Quote:
sorry, I didn't notice this comment earlier, but I don't really have any helpful insight or observations, and it looks like the question got answered

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development