HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 7, 2020, 8:31 PM
Space Magi

SALT LAKE CITY | Various Developments

Since things are a little slow right now, I thought I'd make a thread for some of the more interesting low-rise projects in Salt Lake City. Enjoy!

Greek Town Development (Proposed recently)
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...w-development/
Quote:
Documents soon to be submitted to City Hall envision creating an upscale campus around the 95-year-old cathedral at 279 S. 300 West, with elevated green plazas and public walkways, and an expanded cultural center for congregants of the Greek Orthodox Church of Greater Salt Lake.

The church’s yearly Greek Festival would get a larger and better-equipped home within the complex, capable of hosting more visitors.

The Exchange (Under construction)
Quote:
The Exchange incorporates many successful aspects of our past developments, including a residential community of over 400 mixed-income apartments, extensive street-front retail, and an energy-efficient, transit-oriented design capable of supporting a wide range of residents and businesses. Approximately 50% of residences will be affordable to households ranging from 40%-80% of the area median income. All these features were heavily desired by Salt Lake City’s government to address affordability concerns and nurture entrepreneurial growth.

http://ktgy.com/work/the-exchange/

Granary District (in design)
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/ind...-opening-soon/
Quote:
The Granary District, bounded by 600 South to 900 South freeway on-ramp and 300 West to Interstate 15, was once the main site of flour production for the Salt Lake Valley. The neighborhood’s proximity to downtown and abundance of large warehouses has attracted entrepreneurs, artists and artisans who see the warehouses as blank slates for their businesses and creative enterprises.
Quote:
I've been holding off for years on showing this stuff, but here is just a glimpse of some of the stuff we've envisioned for the Granary, where a true mix of tech office/research/retail & other urban amenities/ and a variety of housing exist all together to create a very pedestrian friendly and inviting urban experience.

Union Pacific Hotel (proposed)
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/his...-luxury-hotel/
Quote:
As currently proposed, the project will include the renovation of the Union Pacific Depot and eight floors of new construction directly west of the Depot. The project will add around 225 guest rooms, 26 suites, a coffee shop and over 6,700 square feet of restaurant space to The Gateway.

255 S. State (Construction starting soon)
https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/aff...alt-lake-city/
Quote:
Instead of proposing a single building of large scale, Brinshore’s architect, KTGY, has designed two structures. The south building will be eight floors containing 73 units and the north structure will rise to 13 stories with 117 units. 152 of the 190 total units will be affordable, ranging from 20%-80% of AMI, with 38 units at market rate. The mix will be 122 one-bedroom, 52 two-bedroom, 13 three- and four-bedroom, with three at-grade artist live-work spaces.

On street level, the project will offer 23,000 sq. ft. of commercial space (down from 40,000 in previous plans), some of which will be dedicated to community and education purposes. The developer plans to build one level of below-grade parking, offering 100 stalls. Eighteen surface parking spaces will be reserved for retail clients.

Red Lion Hotel Redevelopment (Early proposal/vision)
https://www.archres.com/project/rl-h...alt-lake-city/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2020, 10:53 PM
Space Magi

Some new beautiful new renderings of the Post District development surfaced today!

Gale Street Apartments (proposed)
https://www.mve-architects.com/proje...et-apartments/
Quote:
5 buildings | 580 units | 461,921 sf residential | 26,833 sf retail

This mixed-use project consists of five buildings with 580-units and 26,833 sf of retail within Type IIIA over Type IA construction. Located in the D-2 downtown area of Salt Lake City, this project will be a catalyst for fostering the development of a sustainable urban neighborhood. The five buildings of new construction are sited to retain existing adaptive-reuse structures to create the “complete block” of old and new. The design promotes a pedestrian-oriented development with a strong emphasis on scale in an urban context.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 1:49 PM

I'm lovin the design styles of the upcoming Post District. I hope the COVID doesn't cause a drastic long term delay in its development.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2020, 5:04 PM
Space Magi

I like the mix of designs as well. The different styles compliment each other nicely and seem to have quality facade materials.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 7:51 PM
Space Magi

More info on the Fleet Blocks/Granary District:
https://www.ankrommoisan.com/project...-place-at-huma
Quote:
The Fleet Block is part of an underused warehouse district that will, with intelligent urban planning, become a vibrant community and research hub. The site is 120 acres southwest of downtown Salt Lake City. Owned by the city and previously used for fleet storage and maintenance, it is well-served by alternative transportation, including an adjacent light rail station and a proposed streetcar loop.

The team will employ creative adaptive-reuse strategies: the Silo Towers will be convereted into a landmark with signage; Restaurant Row will incorporate historic brick buildings; and the existing rail line will become a pedestrian/bike path connecting Restaurant Row and Fleet Block Area to the ballpark stadium one mile east.

The Fleet Block Redevelopment Framework will serve as a guide as this area grows into a pedestrian-friendly, human-scaled, mixed-use neighborhood. A broad range of housing types, from live-work studios to family-oriented townhomes, will create the density needed to support complementary desired amenities and services, and provide a workforce for tech, medical, educational, and creative industry tenants.

Project goals will align with the new Delos WELL Building Standard, which places health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. Fleet Block development goals for the project include creating a dynamic business and research community, with multi-use conference/innovation center, and weaving that into a lively retail destination. These uses would take full advantage of the Fleet Block’s proximity to the airport, University of Utah, and Research Park.

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 11:05 PM
Space Magi

New, much more attractive renderings of 255 S. State can be found here:

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 2:04 PM
Space Magi

Potential silver lining of pandemic for the new SLC airport:
Pandemic could shorten Salt Lake airport rebuild by 2 years, save $300M
https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/5/...-save-millions
Quote:
Bill Wyatt, the airport’s executive director, recently laid out the plan for Salt Lake City’s Airport Advisory Board, explaining how the airport would complete its multiyear redevelopment in the same size and scope, “except it will be two years faster and up to $300 million cheaper.”

To maximize available gates, airport officials had originally planned to demolish the airport’s old terminals and concourses in a phased manner, after the new airport’s first concourses open to the public, slated for Sept. 15. Now, because of less demand, Wyatt said they’ll be able to demolish all of the airport’s old facilities faster.

“What we’re proposing to do, instead of keeping old Concourse B and old Concourse C open (during construction), is tear down the existing airport facilities after the new SLC phase one is open,” Wyatt told the advisory board. “Tear them all down at once.”

“What that means is we won’t actually have to use any parts of the old airport after October of this year,” Wyatt told the Deseret News. “And so we can tear it all down, and it won’t be in our way as we do the second phase of the airport.”

Now, Wyatt said the entire airport project’s completion is slated for December of 2024, rather than early 2027.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:15 PM
Space Magi

This map shows the scale of development happening in SLC right now. This is just one corner of the city, west of downtown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
With so many projects getting proposed around the gateway in the past two weeks, I thought it might be a good idea to map out the projects that are proposed and under construction in the west side of downtown Salt Lake City.

If I choose to take the time, I may add details and photos for each of the projects, but I thought I'd post the map for now.

I may have missed something here or there, but I am hoping this acts as a good snapshot of what is happening on the west side.
We have a long way to go in terms of infill but things are moving fast!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2020, 11:39 PM
Space Magi

New rendering of the RL Hotel redevelopment:

Some insight about it from Makid:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think it is probable. They are actually shrinking the number of hotel rooms. They are going to convert roughly 1/2 of the current Hotel RL rooms to apartments.

My understanding is that the new construction will a few more apartments but will also include office space.

From the image, it looks like the new construction would include a 17 Story building and possibly 2 11-12 story buildings. The overall design of the buildings in the image look more like office space than apartments to me.

The overall sense of the images shown screams Tech Campus, maybe a even Bio Tech Campus. The 17 Story building would be for the Execs and front office staff. The 2 11-12 story buildings would be lab space.

I know that there has been some news recently about SLC focusing more on the Bio Tech side of the Tech industry and this may just be the first project focused that way.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 11:52 PM
Space Magi

A lot of development is happening in SLC! Now we just need someone to propose something that will break 500 feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando

Old Posted Nov 7, 2020, 12:00 AM
Space Magi

Also, here's great recent update on the Exchange (mentioned previously in this thread) from new user ThePalmerHouse:

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 8:37 PM
Space Magi

The site for Moda Luxe is fenced off. Groundbreaking imminent:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:19 PM
Space Magi

Construction update on 650 Main and 6th & Main in the Trib yesterday:

Also, MVE posted a recent photo of the Post District site (formerly Gale Street Apartments)

Also, 255 S State (mentioned in a previous post above) finally broke ground and is moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2021, 6:57 PM
Space Magi

Construction begins on downtown Salt Lake City mixed-use development

https://www.abc4.com/news/local-news...e-development/

Quote:
The 190-unit mid-rise and high-rise community was developed by Chicago-based Brinshore in partnership with the city’s Redevelopment Agency. A Monday release says the new walkable, transit-oriented development, designed by KTGY Architecture + Planning, aims to offer affordable housing with commercial tenants, non-profit organizations, food hall, event space, and live-work units.

The development, located at 255 South State Street, will “enhance the city’s downtown business district,” according to the developers.
This will be a great benefit to downtown. SLC has some of the biggest blocks in the world and this will have a nice, engaging midblock walkway. They're also doing some adaptive reuse with an old house on the site:

Quote:
McCloskey says the design guidelines called for a midblock crossing and the preservation of the Cramer House, an existing two-story historic building on the site.

“The two towers create a public paseo from State Street carrying pedestrians from the urban streetscape through a retail and art corridor, into a sweeping outdoor space that will host events at the intersection of the north-south and east-west paseos. The open-air event space creates a place to savor a meal and enjoy the outdoors for both employees of the creative office space, as well as residents. It also establishes this corner as the neighborhood gathering place, ideal for concerts,” McCloskey adds.

“The paseo is activated by the development’s largest tenant, a ground-floor food hall concept, which features large, operable glass walls allowing the dining experience to flow into the public realm. The historic Cramer House, which is currently envisioned to be restored and reopened as a unique culinary concept, sits directly on the public open-space component and will actively engage the public realm with an outdoor-dining component,” says Whitney Weller, senior vice president with Brinshore Development.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Greek Town Development (Proposed recently)
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/02/...w-development/

Any updates on the Greek Orthodox Development?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 9:14 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
Any updates on the Greek Orthodox Development?
I haven't heard anything in awhile, unfortunately. I'm guessing that it's still alive but significantly delayed by the pandemic and material/construction costs.

Here's the 255 S. State site today, from the top of the Wells Fargo Center:

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 8:42 PM
Space Magi

Nice photo of 6th+Main from MVE's facebook page, posted on May 26:

Here's a render:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 2:22 PM
Space Magi

Really good summary of the best developments in SLC right now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I got bored over the 4th of July weekend and started making this. I noticed a lot of other cities had similar videos for their projects and I felt Salt Lake deserved one as well.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 4:40 PM
Space Magi

It's been awhile so I will give a brief update on a few projects that I mentioned previously.

Moda Luxe is being reconfigured in design because the state of Utah decided that they want a 10-story parking garage for their new liquor store. This was going to directly block the views of downtown from the pool deck of the old design. The new design is slightly taller and adds a second, future tower where some of the amenity spaces will be located. There's also a new midblock walkway between the buildings, and both buildings have ground floor retail. Here's a new rendering with both buildings, design review is pending:

We also have a pending design review for 465 Main, a ~179 ft residential building adjacent to the future Sundial tower:

The Greek Town project is moving forward but no new information is available. Demolition of existing structures is imminent.

The biggest news recently has been the surfacing of new renderings of Phase II of the West Quarter project, which will probably be the single most transformative urban project in SLC when it's completed.

Here's a nice image showing Phase I of the West Quarter in progress:

Finally, here's a construction update for 255 S State from a couple weeks ago:

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 2, 2021 at 5:13 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development