HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 4:30 PM

^ agree, and I would hate to see it happen in its current plan. This kind of project should promote connectivity to the lakefront but the giant base it sits on seems like a giant wall to the rest of the south loop.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 4:40 PM

That's a mic drop if I've ever seen one

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 4:59 PM

Yea, just gross. Montgomery Ward just rolled over.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 1:15 PM

Tonight (July 15) at 6 pm at McCormick Place W184:

Quote:
Alderman Pat Dowell and the Department of Planning and Development are hosting a meeting to discuss the existing zoning and land use regulations that govern the proposed One Central development site. These existing regulations set the basis for potential project development which can be built of right for the site.

This will be an informative discussion with Alderman Dowell and Planning and Development staff ONLY. For more information please call the 3rd Ward Public Service Office at XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Not sure if anyone plans to go. I am hoping to make it.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:00 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
From my 3D model:
Bravo!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Tonight (July 15) at 6 pm at McCormick Place W184:

Not sure if anyone plans to go. I am hoping to make it.
If you're there can you live update us?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:55 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
While I'm 99% sure this all will never happen, that is breathtaking. I wonder how long our skyline would be compared to Manhattan's...
I agree, this seems like a pipe dream and a half, as much as I love Chicago most of the coolest projects never happen so it'd be unwise to get excited.

Cool concept I guess?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:05 AM

^It's comical that the rendering illustrates such tall towers as if people are going to move here in droves. Chicago is slowly filling its other luxury towers in more interesting and connected areas of the city. What is the appeal of living here beyond being close to the park and lake?

To be clear, I would love to see continued quality skyscraper development and our skyline extend south, this just seems ludicrous.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:06 AM
Urbane observer

Things I learned at tonight's meeting:
  • DPD has only had one meeting with Landmark Development, and requested something like 17 specific pieces of information. None have yet been supplied. Though they won't publicly say so, they seem as puzzled as other observers about how this deal could make any sense whatsoever.
  • The Central Station PD has at least 2000 dwelling units approved but not yet used. It also has 3.1 million sq ft of office and 2,500 hotel keys that can be traded in (at the rate of 3:1) for additional dwelling units.
  • Some 4.7 million square feet of bulk is approved and not yet used. For comparison, what's built in Central Station (and approved, such as NEMA's sister) north of 14th St. is around 5 million square feet.
  • The PD includes language that vests the approvals once certain amounts of development took place within a specified time. The usual rule is that property owners have no rights to their future zoning, but in this case they apparently do.
  • The city's new Zoning Administrator, Patrick Murphey, is a pretty sharp guy who can get to the point clearly.
  • Most of the neighbors who ask "questions" at public meetings like this . . . not so much.

Last edited by Mr Downtown; Jul 16, 2019 at 8:59 PM. Reason: corrected figures after rechecking presentation

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:23 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
  • DPD has only had one meeting with Landmark Development, and requested something like 17 specific pieces of information. None have yet been supplied. Though they won't publicly say so, they seem as puzzled as other observers about how this deal could make any sense whatsoever.
  • The Central Station PD has at least 3,100 dwelling units approved but not yet used. It also has 3.1 million sq ft of office and 2,500 hotel keys that can be traded in (at the rate of 3:1) for additional dwelling units.
  • Some 4.7 million square feet of bulk is approved and not yet used. For comparison, what's built in Central Station (and approved, such as NEMA's sister) north of 14th St. is around 5 million square feet.
  • As soon as a "master plan" for the air rights area south of Waldron is approved, that unlocks another 2000 dwelling units and 3.8 million square feet of FAR. (I hope I didn't double count.)
  • The PD includes language that vests the approvals once certain amounts of development took place within a specified time. The usual rule is that property owners have no rights to their future zoning, but in this case they apparently do.
  • The city's new Zoning Administrator, Patrick Murphey, is a pretty sharp guy who can get to the point clearly.
  • Most of the neighbors who ask "questions" at public meetings like this . . . not so much.
Great info. It's interesting to watch this play out. Like others I'm skeptical but I enjoy watching the process.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
  • The Central Station PD has at least 3,100 dwelling units approved but not yet used. It also has 3.1 million sq ft of office and 2,500 hotel keys that can be traded in (at the rate of 3:1) for additional dwelling units.
  • As soon as a "master plan" for the air rights area south of Waldron is approved, that unlocks another 2000 dwelling units and 3.8 million square feet of FAR. (I hope I didn't double count.)
You did double count. The 4.7 million square feet and 2000 dwelling units are the total remaining for the combination of subarea B and C.

All but 2 of the highrises in the One Central renders are in subarea B, but subarea B has a FAR of 1.7. Subarea C has a FAR of 7.59, but it is long and thin and much smaller than the other subareas. Additionally (not mentioned tonight) is that the view corridors cover at least half to two-thirds of subarea C - it's pretty worthless unless the "rights" can be transferred to subarea B.

I did some internet detective work and found that the PD331 subarea 4E that was mentioned only allows "unenclosed" parking, which I assume means a surface lot. One Central (and also the Lucas museum before it) showed a parking structure here. And my detective work also found the IL compiled statutes that authorized McPier to acquire the property/air rights but I see nothing about them being allowed to transfer it to a private party. Hmm.

I left the meeting with the sense that this thing is dead in the water unless they can throw the existing PDs out and get a new one through the city council. Anyone want to lay odds? I certainly don't have much faith.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:32 AM

^ this thing will have a chance if in exchange for the deal they got from Springfield (~$5 billion) they provide a significant amount of affordable housing (>35%). Otherwise good luck getting approval from any resident or alderfolk

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:18 PM

I just went back and looked at my photos from the event and compared them to the slides on page 1 of this thread. The southernmost high rise is in PD 331, so it's a no-go.

It also looks like they are siting 4 high rises in subarea C, not 2.

PD 499
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/gi..._pds/PD499.pdf

PD 883
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/gi..._pds/PD883.pdf

PD 331
https://gisapps.cityofchicago.org/gi..._pds/PD331.pdf

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 8:54 PM
Urbane observer

Last night's presentation, and all the underlying PD documents and master plans, available here.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:23 PM

I haven't had a chance to attend the meetings yet but I live in one of the buildings at 18th St and the tracks and the people in my building have been getting their torches ready for this thing for a while now. Given that for the most part I'm in favor of it, I've learned to just stay silent in my building just to maintain some peace.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
I haven't had a chance to attend the meetings yet but I live in one of the buildings at 18th St and the tracks and the people in my building have been getting their torches ready for this thing for a while now. Given that for the most part I'm in favor of it, I've learned to just stay silent in my building just to maintain some peace.
It might be a good idea to voice your support in hopes that other residents who also approve of the plan come out of the woodwork. Otherwise it will feel like everyone is against it, and not just a vocal minority.

(And I'm not saying that's the case - it's possible that the majority of your building is against One Central. But if no one stands for it because it means getting involved in the noise, then nothing gets done. It's why I appreciate when people at community meetings stand up just to voice their approval, without a question or a complaint.)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 8:37 PM
Urbane observer

Exactly. One of my frustrations with the way we do "public meetings" in this country is that the only people ever heard from are the whiners who already know they hate it. Even if an alderman wants to responsibly represent his constituents, the torchbearers who came to oppose any change will always outshout or even intimidate the folks with open minds. (And—my god, the level of ignorance and misunderstanding always on display.)

I think this particular scheme is utterly bizarre, fiscally irresponsible as a state investment, and makes no sense as a "civic asset"—but I get so frustrated by some of the idiocy I hear at these meetings (my window will be cast into darkness, there might be construction noise, it will kick up carcinogenic dust, strangers might come within sight of my townhouse, waaaaahhhhh) that I sometimes want to go to the microphone and let loose with both barrels.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:43 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Exactly. One of my frustrations with the way we do "public meetings" in this country is that the only people ever heard from are the whiners who already know they hate it. Even if an alderman wants to responsibly represent his constituents, the torchbearers who came to oppose any change will always outshout or even intimidate the folks with open minds. (And—my god, the level of ignorance and misunderstanding always on display.)

I think this particular scheme is utterly bizarre, fiscally irresponsible as a state investment, and makes no sense as a "civic asset"—but I get so frustrated by some of the idiocy I hear at these meetings (my window will be cast into darkness, there might be construction noise, it will kick up carcinogenic dust, strangers might come within sight of my townhouse, waaaaahhhhh) that I sometimes want to go to the microphone and let loose with both barrels.
You forgot about the moms with double-wide sport-utility strollers' ability to cross the street! Not to mention the multitudes of people in wheelchairs who need three crosswalks (signalized of course) in between every single block! Yes, the idiocy abounds. Absolutely abounds. Kind of like internet comments on most news sites.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Exactly. One of my frustrations with the way we do "public meetings" in this country is that the only people ever heard from are the whiners who already know they hate it.
This is why I'm grateful to have Bvic. You can count on him to be there to offset the absurdity of the whiners.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 8:30 PM

Chicago DPD announced a community meeting on Jan 25th for ONE Central

Quote:
ONE Central
The ONE Central mixed-use project from Landmark Development is proposed for approximately 32 acres of rail yards between the McCormick Place Convention Center and the Museum Campus on the Near South Side.

Pending the submission of a formal Planned Development (PD) zoning application and the completion of a formal review and approval process, the proposal would be anchored by a multi-modal transit hub. It would also include up to 9,050 residential units, 1.5 million square feet of retail uses, 9.45 million square feet of office space, 1.5 million square feet of hotel uses, 350,000 square feet of event space, and 3,500 parking stalls.

Community Engagement
The proposal requires significant review by the Department of Planning and Development (DPD) and other City departments and agencies, as well as public hearings with the Chicago Plan Commission and City Council. A virtual community meeting hosted by DPD and Ald. Pat Dowell (3rd) is scheduled for the below time and date.

ONE Central Community Webinar
6 p.m., Monday, Jan. 25 | Register or Watch Live

Dates for future meetings and hearings are still to be determined. All questions or comments may be directed to dpd@cityofchicago.org.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development