HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 10:41 PM

Learn More About Projects Along Chicago River, Including Lincoln Yards, At Thursday Webinar

North Branch Works will moderate a panel discussion at 10 a.m. Thursday between developers and real estate leaders involved with Lincoln Yards, the Morton Salt district, Lathrop Homes, Rockwell on the River, and 1308 N. Elston Ave.

Register Link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_...R2WGubWT6DA3tg

Story Link: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/02...rsday-webinar/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
Learn More About Projects Along Chicago River, Including Lincoln Yards, At Thursday Webinar

North Branch Works will moderate a panel discussion at 10 a.m. Thursday between developers and real estate leaders involved with Lincoln Yards, the Morton Salt district, Lathrop Homes, Rockwell on the River, and 1308 N. Elston Ave.

Register Link: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_...R2WGubWT6DA3tg

Story Link: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/02...rsday-webinar/
Damn...

Same time as plan commission.

May have to do a separate Zoom on the laptop one on the phone.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 3:22 AM

“Joe Manseuto and the Chicago Fire are looking into Lincoln Yards to build a state of the art training facility and that preliminary steps have already been taken towards making it happen”

https://twitter.com/ChiFireSocTalk/s...58620106633227

Looks like Lincoln Yards might be going back to soccer. Instead of a stadium, there will be a state-of-the-art soccer training facility. The Fire have been actively searching for a place to build a training pitch in the city for some time now.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 2:40 PM
TL;DR

Interesting. I assume this would be similar to the Blackhawks facility on the West Side that is open for youth sports and community use. Probably a better fit than an actual soccer stadium, given the limited infrastructure.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:48 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
“Joe Manseuto and the Chicago Fire are looking into Lincoln Yards to build a state of the art training facility and that preliminary steps have already been taken towards making it happen”

https://twitter.com/ChiFireSocTalk/s...58620106633227

Looks like Lincoln Yards might be going back to soccer. Instead of a stadium, there will be a state-of-the-art soccer training facility. The Fire have been actively searching for a place to build a training pitch in the city for some time now.
I remember when LY was first proposed and part of the proposal was for a minor league soccer team to play there. That definitely freaked out the Fire, who in a matter of years bailed on Bridgeview, moved back to the city, and now are laying their footprint here. Smart move on their part. Although massive boneheaded move leaving for the suburbs to begin with.

Glad it seems a new stadium is no longer in the cards. Traffic to/from this part of town is already a nightmare. Maybe doable once the transit plans are in place. Is the music venue(s) still planned? Honestly, hope those don't go through either. We have plenty of old movie palaces that can easily fill that role.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:22 PM

Parcel G.1 Plan Commission Presentation

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...DRAFT%2006.pdf

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Parcel G.1 Plan Commission Presentation

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...DRAFT%2006.pdf
I like how this building looks. I believe this is the building for biomedical lab space and Sterling Bay already has a building on Halsted St in Lincoln Park with multiple companies (including one moving from San Diego) basically as staging space so they can move to this building when completed. Makes sense as they already have real demand for the building. Also technically within walking distance of a Metra stop and near an interstate. Will be interested to see how this all plays out, especially if they can get more companies to come to Chicago because of these types of spaces being built specifically in the bio space.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I like how this building looks. I believe this is the building for biomedical lab space and Sterling Bay already has a building on Halsted St in Lincoln Park with multiple companies (including one moving from San Diego) basically as staging space so they can move to this building when completed. Makes sense as they already have real demand for the building. Also technically within walking distance of a Metra stop and near an interstate. Will be interested to see how this all plays out, especially if they can get more companies to come to Chicago because of these types of spaces being built specifically in the bio space.
As someone who works in the life sciences space, I'm very excited to see what Sterling Bay and others do to lure companies into the city. The industry is very ripe for moves from traditional suburban campuses. These companies are gunning for younger talent, and employees are getting more and more tired of having to reverse commute to the suburbs (ex: AbbVie).

Would be great if we could get our own little Kendall Square in Lincoln Yards.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
As someone who works in the life sciences space, I'm very excited to see what Sterling Bay and others do to lure companies into the city. The industry is very ripe for moves from traditional suburban campuses. These companies are gunning for younger talent, and employees are getting more and more tired of having to reverse commute to the suburbs (ex: AbbVie).

Would be great if we could get our own little Kendall Square in Lincoln Yards.
I've been looking at funding data in general (not just pure tech companies) in various metros and it's insane how much funding a lot of these companies are getting in areas like San Diego and especially Boston. The ones in Cambridge and Boston are lured there because of MIT and Harvard, but am genuinely curious if Chicago can lure some more companies away from these cities.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 10:24 PM
1st Ward

We certainly have the educational infrastructure in place for that; Northwestern & UofC are the two that would compare most favorably against the likes of Harvard and MIT, as well as UIC, LUC, DePaul, IIT, etc. playing backup roles. UofI's planned tech incubator in The 78 should hold a lot of promise when it comes to attracting tech companies in general I would imagine.

What is San Diego's magnet for tech/life sciences firms? I get the weather is great, but there must be some other reason for that. UCSD?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
We certainly have the educational infrastructure in place for that; Northwestern & UofC are the two that would compare most favorably against the likes of Harvard and MIT, as well as UIC, LUC, DePaul, IIT, etc. playing backup roles. UofI's planned tech incubator in The 78 should hold a lot of promise when it comes to attracting tech companies in general I would imagine.

What is San Diego's magnet for tech/life sciences firms? I get the weather is great, but there must be some other reason for that. UCSD?
I guess here's some perspective:

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...ere-its-going/

Quote:
San Diego is home to the third largest concentration of biotechnology companies in the world, behind the Bay Area and Boston. It’s an impressive claim that industry insiders say is the result of two major forces: the cluster of world-class research institutes that sprang up more than 40 years ago on the Torrey Pines Mesa and the success of one local company that fostered a generation of gutsy entrepreneurs with the money and expertise to start new companies.

San Diego’s biotech story began when research institutions such as the Salk Institute, Scripps, and the University of California, San Diego, were founded between 1955 and 1965. With the academic foundation in place, civic and business leaders in 1965 made the pivotal decision to designate Torrey Pines Mesa for science and research development, hoping to create new industries and companies with high-paying jobs.

By all accounts, the effort paid off.

Tempted by the emerging opportunities, throngs of researchers and students began pouring into San Diego. In the early 1980s, the region was infused with a surge of complementary firms — patent attorneys, headhunters, venture capitalists and public relations firms that were anxious to support entrepreneurial start-ups on the road to medical breakthroughs.

The beginnings of the windfall can be traced back to a small UCSD laboratory.

In 1978, Ivor Royston was a young assistant professor studying immunology at UCSD when he drove four investors to the airport after giving them a tour of his lab. He told them how he believed his research into monoclonal antibodies could be the future of disease diagnosis, and that he and assistant Howard Birndorf wanted to start making the antibodies commercially, for things such as hepatitis testing. San Francisco venture capitalists gave them $300,000 and Hybritech, along with San Diego’s multibillion-dollar biotechnology industry, was born.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:16 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:

Scripps is there too and tons of defense stuff (probably at least partly why Qualcomm is there...).

UChicago is a bit funny because we don't really have an engineering program (other than the new-fangled Institute for Molecular Engineering), though there is a CS program (which I imagine is highly theoretical, although I don't really know). It's probably one of the reasons there are so many physics undergrads at UChicago, since none of them get siphoned of to ME or EE like they did at Stanford.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Scripps is there too and tons of defense stuff (probably at least partly why Qualcomm is there...).

UChicago is a bit funny because we don't really have an engineering program (other than the new-fangled Institute for Molecular Engineering), though there is a CS program (which I imagine is highly theoretical, although I don't really know). It's probably one of the reasons there are so many physics undergrads at UChicago, since none of them get siphoned of to ME or EE like they did at Stanford.
CS is often times not part of engineering school because CS in general is majorly math (discrete) based. There is a reason why there is Computer Science and then there is Software Engineering. Though they can be used in conjunction, they're different things. All CS graduate programs (and a good 50%+ of the undergrad) are going to be highly theoretical anywhere you go. One of the main reasons I did not pursue my PhD in CS was this reason - I am terrible at proofs. Depending on which algorithm you're proving, sometimes the lines are really blurred between CS and math.

Regarding lab space, is there any more plans for Lincoln Yards to add more space than just this one building? Seems from everything I've read and some things being built that there's really a bit of demand in the city for this type of space.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 1:00 AM

Quote:

No discussion on Chicago based research institutions is complete without including Argonne and Fermi labs. These facilities LEAD research in multiple disciplines. Also peripheral research academia/commercial include Rush University, Toyota Technical Institute and of course the entire bio-pharma hub of Lake county.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:40 AM
TL;DR

Glad to see references to a future bridge at Concord Place. I was worried SB would try to wriggle out of that commitment (they still might, potentially) but it's good to see they are thinking about it.

Once finished that should allow a 1/2mile walk to the Brown Line at Armitage, mostly on quiet side streets. Or much shorter walks to shops and restaurants on Clybourn.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 11:35 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
No discussion on Chicago based research institutions is complete without including Argonne and Fermi labs. These facilities LEAD research in multiple disciplines. Also peripheral research academia/commercial include Rush University, Toyota Technical Institute and of course the entire bio-pharma hub of Lake county.
Yeah I totally brain farted and forgot Argonne and Fermi. Both are huge incubators in the metro.

I had no idea the TTIC even existed. Some quick Google searching tells me its closely associated with the UofC. I wonder how large of a student body it has.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 9:05 PM

Sterling Bay completes environmental remediation at Lincoln Yards site

Quote:
Sterling Bay, the developer behind the massive multiphase Lincoln Yards project, has completed a years-long clean-up of 55 acres of polluted brownfield land along the Chicago River between Lincoln Park and Bucktown.

"For the last four years, we've been working with expert geologists and environmental engineers to reverse over a century's worth of industrial damage in the North Branch Corridor," said Sterling Bay CEO Andy Gloor on Thursday.

"The land we started with at Lincoln Yards was heavily polluted and unsuitable for community use, but today, Chicago residents are one major step closer to enjoying what will soon become a thriving new neighborhood that prioritizes the health and wellbeing of residents and visitors," Gloor announced.
They're saying the Lab building should start in July and take 24 months to complete

Link: https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/l...al-remediation

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:06 PM

Quote:

They're saying the Lab building should start in July and take 24 months to complete

Link: https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/l...al-remediation
Crain's had some interesting tidbits today.

Quote:
Speaking yesterday during a virtual forum of the Executives' Club of Chicago, Sterling Bay CEO Andy Gloor said the developer will break ground in July on an eight-story life sciences research center along the southern edge of the planned $6 billion campus...

Gloor also revealed other parts of the initial development phase—which he estimated would come together over at least three years—including 800 apartment units, a 350,000-square-foot office building and a park on the southern portion of Lincoln Yards between the river and Throop Street.

Construction of a Dominick Street bridge connecting the northern and southern portions of the campus, which Sterling Bay said last year would be the first infrastructure project built at Lincoln Yards, has been pushed back to a later phase."

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:22 PM

Got some more renders of Parcel G.1

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:59 PM

maybe all this new lab space will be where the next pandemic starts.... the CHICAGO VIRUS!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development