HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:26 PM
The New Republic

It's hard for me to imagine college basketball without Coach K. He's been a fixture for such a long time.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 8:29 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As an aside, basketball is the national sport of Lithuania and easily its most popular sport. I think it's the only country that can say basketball is its most popular along with...the Philippines, I think?
Correct but there's no reason why it can't be the #1 sport in Nova Scotia. 1970-2000, basketball was on equal footing with football and hockey in terms of cultural interest and coverage in the media. If anything, hockey got less attention than the other 2. Acadia and SMU sold out the 11,000 seat Metro Centre in the early 70s and it happened again when the Halifax Windjammers came into existence. Anecdotal, but everyone I knew followed college basketball, college football, and MLB baseball. I only knew one guy who watched/followed hockey. He was a Nordiques fan.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:09 PM
ハルウララ

March Madness blog: Aurora’s Andrew Nembhard steps into the spotlight and shines for Gonzaga

On Saturday, during a Q&A with draft analyst Robel Taame and me, Canadian star Andrew Nembhard remarked that it wouldn’t be a stretch to consider this edition of the Gonzaga Bulldogs the greatest NCAA basketball team … ever.

Their offensive firepower and dynamism frequently overwhelm opponents, including Sunday’s 83-65 win over the Creighton Bluejays — a program thought to stand a chance against top-ranked Gonzaga with its own respected offence.

Now only three wins away from a championship, the Zags remain undefeated at 29-0 and Nembhard doesn’t think his team has reached its ceiling.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...r-gonzaga.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 2:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Correct but there's no reason why it can't be the #1 sport in Nova Scotia. 1970-2000, basketball was on equal footing with football and hockey in terms of cultural interest and coverage in the media. If anything, hockey got less attention than the other 2. Acadia and SMU sold out the 11,000 seat Metro Centre in the early 70s and it happened again when the Halifax Windjammers came into existence. Anecdotal, but everyone I knew followed college basketball, college football, and MLB baseball. I only knew one guy who watched/followed hockey. He was a Nordiques fan.
Canadian college basketball and football or American college basketball and football?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 2:40 AM
Registered Drug User

With the Raps tanking Aaron Baynes has become one of the main sources of entertainment on the team. Tonight on the AB bingo card:

1. Scored an own basket when the rebound bounced off of his two hands at the defensive end. Yep, he was reaching up with two hands to retrieve an easy rebound and the ball caromed off his seal flippers and into the hoop.
2. Was blocked on a layup like a chump challenging a pro player to a game of one-on-one.
3. Gave up a rebound when the ball clanged off his hand and out-of-bounds, and got teed up for a technical foul for getting angry at the ref for not calling a foul.

Got yanked pretty quickly each time he was on the floor. I think he's got to be in the running as one of the most entertainingly useless Raptors of all time.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
March Madness blog: Aurora’s Andrew Nembhard steps into the spotlight and shines for Gonzaga
While I don't follow sports as much as I used to, in March Madness I have been a long, long time fan of Gonzaga. Two reasons, small Jesuit school and a team that has a long history of using Canadian players.

Having said all that, I can hazard to say that the game vs UCLA was one of the greatest basketball games I've ever seen. It was the first MM game this year I felt compelled to watch (thanks Locast) and I was not disappointed. I cannot say enough about the heart and skill of both teams.

It was great to see Nembhard ice an important basket and also know that he has been a participant for our NT at almost every age level. I really hope they can finish the miracle season, it would be a great accomplishment.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 10:32 PM

Gonzaga is the closest university to Castlegar at just over 2 hours drive go Zags!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:56 PM
The New Republic

Canada Basketball brass remains confident in NBA participation at Olympic qualifier

Canada must win the tournament, scheduled for June 29 to July 4 in Victoria, in order to book its ticket to the Tokyo Games. Due to the delay of the NBA season, however, those dates conflict with the playoffs that run May 22 through July 22. The Victoria tournament should fall toward the end of the second round or beginning of the conference finals, and any Canadians still contesting for the title would be extremely unlikely to leave their NBA team. With Nurse's Toronto Raptors outside of the playoffs, the coach is seeming likelier to be with the team for the entire duration of its summer schedule.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball...date-1.5978896

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:02 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Gonzaga is the closest university to Castlegar at just over 2 hours drive go Zags!
Isn't UBC Okanagan closer? Or do they not field a basketball team? Just checked. Kelowna is further by road but closer as the crow flies.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 2:07 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Isn't UBC Okanagan closer? Or do they not field a basketball team? Just checked. Kelowna is further by road but closer as the crow flies.
"Field" a basketball team. Just teasing. Couldn't resist.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Without speeding Spokane is 2.5 hours drive and Kelowna is 3.5.
And driving to Kelowna involves a major and minor mountain pass
Whereas the drive to Spokane follows the Columbia River Valley for the most part.
And Spokane's radio stations are in our airwaves whereas Kelowna's are not.

Last edited by Denscity; Apr 8, 2021 at 8:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"Field a football team".. "ice a hockey team"... so is it "court a basketball team" ?
I've never heard that phrase before, and it sounds like something a Kardashian would do.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 6:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
"Field a football team".. "ice a hockey team"... so is it "court a basketball team" ?
I've never heard that phrase before, and it sounds like something a Kardashian would do.
"Field a basketball team" gets over 600,000 hits in Google, so I guess I am the one who is in left field.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 12:59 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Nicely played. I follow college basketball quite closely and couldn't for the life of me remember if they even had a team. I searched online and apparently they're called the UBCO Heat. They joined Canada West in 2011 and made the playoffs for the first time ever in 2020. It's no wonder I didn't know about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBC_Okanagan_Heat

Quote:
"Field a basketball team" gets over 600,000 hits in Google, so I guess I am the one who is in left field.
Yes. To 'field a team' isn't specific to sports played on grass .... or a field. I assumed you meant that UBCO weren't very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The term 'field' has multiple meanings and doesn't refer to grass only. It also can refer to an unbroken expanse or area. 'Field of study' certainly doesn't refer to grass. The word has been broadly used for over a century. Interesting that you brought up the Kardashians, It sounds like something they wouldn't know.

Last edited by isaidso; Apr 9, 2021 at 1:36 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Without speeding Spokane is 2.5 hours drive and Kelowna is 3.5.
And driving to Kelowna involves a major and minor mountain pass
Whereas the drive to Spokane follows the Columbia River Valley for the most part.
And Spokane's radio stations are in our airwaves whereas Kelowna's are not.
Yeah, I looked it up online. Maybe one day they'll be a road going due west from Castlegar. The current route looks like a pain in the neck.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 1:26 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Khem Birch expected to sign with Raptors after being waived by Magic

Reinforcements are on the way for the Toronto Raptors as they look to make a late playoff push. Khem Birch, who is finalizing a contract buyout with the Orlando Magic, plans to sign with the Raptors once he clears waivers, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. Birch is reportedly looking for more playing time, and the 28-year-old from Montreal is familiar with Raptors coach Nick Nurse dating back to their run in the 2019 FIBA World Cup.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/rep...153633568.html

That's 2 Montrealers on the roster now. Should help our Montreal Raptors get that 'play in' spot.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I looked it up online. Maybe one day they'll be a road going due west from Castlegar. The current route looks like a pain in the neck.
Well in the 90s there was an article in both our newspapers talking about the "Kootenay Connector" a Coquihalla extension from the Okanagan to the Kootenays.
Highway 33 to Big White would extend east to the Arrow Lakes and follow the lake south into Castlegar and Highway 3.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 6:03 PM
ハルウララ

Canada Basketball
@CanBball
More than just a court.

This year's FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Victoria will be played on the same floor the Raptors won their historic NBA Championship on in 2019.

https://twitter.com/CanBball/status/1381686280795402240

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 2:51 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
That's 2 Montrealers on the roster now. Should help our Montreal Raptors get that 'play in' spot.
Absolutely anybody is going to be better than Aron Baynes, so even no-names like Birch and Gillespie are an upgrade. Thankfully their arrival has coincided with Baynes falling out of the rotation. With any luck he won't get on the floor in a Raptors uniform ever again.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2021, 10:53 PM

Too bad about Murray. Canada's road to the Olympics just became a little more difficult. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada