HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 8, 2011, 10:11 PM
BROOKLYN

^^^ That's what I thought it was.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
You're talking about the Morgan facility, which is where most of the postal work is done (the two are connected by a tunnel). The only current postal activity at the Farley building is the retail service, fronting 8th Avenue.
The plan is to keep the retail windows in the Farley building, although not occupying as much space as it does now.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2011, 2:48 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
The plan is to keep the retail windows in the Farley building, although not occupying as much space as it does now.
Right, and it looks magnificent (you get plenty of time to look if you ever go in for service). MSG (the Dolans) at one point wanted to use those windows for MSG ticketing, but the postal service won't be moving out of that space.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 5:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Check the link meanwhile for construction updates on the arena...
http://msgtransformation.com/Transformation.aspx#

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
BROOKLYN

Since they are renovating it, then there is no way they are moving...right?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2011, 10:31 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Make this happen NAO!
Wow, this would be beautiful if it ever gets built.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 12:00 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Well, since the OLD Madison Square Garden is in the process of being completely renovated... I guess it will NOT be a part of Moynihan Station.

What's up with Moynihan Station? Is this project dead?

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 1:39 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post

Well, since the OLD Madison Square Garden is in the process of being completely renovated... I guess it will NOT be a part of Moynihan Station.

I haven't heard anything about it , but they did put up signs.... As for a New Station in this region , i wouldn't rule it out sometime over the next 30 years.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post

Depends what you mean by Moynihan Station.

The renovation of the Farley building into a new entrance for Amtrak users is now referred to as Phase II. Phase I, which only includes building the West End concourse beneath the Farley building and upgrading the ventilation systems of Penn Station, has begun pre-construction, but won't get fully underway until next year (see below).

As for demolishing Madison Square Garden and creating a great new above-ground portion of Penn Station (sometimes referred to as Moynihan West), that's not in the cards for now or the foreseeable future, largely because MSG doesn't want to move. MSG has embarked on pretty lame (but oddly expensive) interior renovations (as mentioned above) probably because they will have real competition for events starting next year when the Barclay Center opens. I have a feeling if Barclay starts seriously cutting into MSG's concert and event business, they might be motivated to go ahead with a more ambitious renovation that could include substantial renovations to Penn, or even move to a new facility altogether. But that's all speculation on my part.

From Moynihan Phase I project pdfs on the ESDC's website:

Phase 1 Schedule
Design
100% Construction Documents – August 2011
Procurement
Release Construction Management RFP – May 2011
Release Construction Contractors RFQ – May 2011
Release Bid Package (s) – September 2011
Construction
Preliminary Work Order Contract – Summer 2011
Initial Amtrak Force Account Begins – Fall 2011
Phase 1 Construction Begins – March 2012
Phase 1 Construction Complete – September 2016

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 4:29 AM
New Yorker for life

NY Post

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ce=Post10Alpha

WATCH: Workers transform MSG in amazing time-lapse video

Knicks star forward Carmelo Anthony marvels earlier this summer at the pace crews
at Madison Square Garden are working to finish the first phase of the renovation.

By JEREMY OLSHAN
July 28, 2011

Quote:
A thousand construction workers have been splitting round-the-clock shifts to complete the first phase of the renovation, which includes a completely new lower bowl, new locker rooms and event-level suites for the home of the Knicks, Rangers and St. John's.

New dark, almost Yankees-blue seats have been installed throughout the lower bowl, and over the next two years will be added throughout the arena. But the seating won’t be entirely monochrome, MSG president Hank Ratner said. Roughly 1,000 lighter blue seats will be installed in the upper bowl to pay homage to the ones way up in the rafters which were once the MSG equivalent of the Yankee Stadium bleachers.

Much of the work will be completed over the next two summers, including the sky bridges that will each hold 500 seats.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 4, 2011, 1:46 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVNBKLYN View Post
Depends what you mean by Moynihan Station.

The renovation of the Farley building into a new entrance for Amtrak users is now referred to as Phase II. Phase I, which only includes building the West End concourse beneath the Farley building and upgrading the ventilation systems of Penn Station, has begun pre-construction, but won't get fully underway until next year (see below).

As for demolishing Madison Square Garden and creating a great new above-ground portion of Penn Station (sometimes referred to as Moynihan West), that's not in the cards for now or the foreseeable future, largely because MSG doesn't want to move. MSG has embarked on pretty lame (but oddly expensive) interior renovations (as mentioned above) probably because they will have real competition for events starting next year when the Barclay Center opens. I have a feeling if Barclay starts seriously cutting into MSG's concert and event business, they might be motivated to go ahead with a more ambitious renovation that could include substantial renovations to Penn, or even move to a new facility altogether. But that's all speculation on my part.

From Moynihan Phase I project pdfs on the ESDC's website:

Phase 1 Schedule
Design
100% Construction Documents – August 2011
Procurement
Release Construction Management RFP – May 2011
Release Construction Contractors RFQ – May 2011
Release Bid Package (s) – September 2011
Construction
Preliminary Work Order Contract – Summer 2011
Initial Amtrak Force Account Begins – Fall 2011
Phase 1 Construction Begins – March 2012
Phase 1 Construction Complete – September 2016
Still won't change the fact that MSG sucks , they need to move and build an all new arena.....

Old Posted Aug 5, 2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Still won't change the fact that MSG sucks , they need to move and build an all new arena.....

I agree, but we're probably gonna have to wait a good 15 years after all the money spent on this renovation.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2011, 2:27 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/21/di...s-upgrade.html

At Madison Square Garden, it’s Hey, Getcher Lobster Roll

Madison Square Garden will reopen with a new menu, including, from left, Andrew Carmellini's brats braised in Belgian beer, Drew Nieporent's Daily Burger and Jean-Georges Vongerichten's Simply Chicken.

By GLENN COLLINS
September 20, 2011

Quote:
After being closed for 20 weeks, Madison Square Garden is about to unveil its new upgraded carte du jour as part of a six-year, $850 million refurbishment.

Sausage Boss by Andrew Carmellini is one of four new concessions that high-end restaurateurs have created to serve mainstream food at the 43-year-old arena. Jean-Georges Vongerichten will offer Simply Chicken, Drew Nieporent will serve up burgers at Daily Burger and Jeremy Marshall of Aquagrill will open Lobster and Shrimp Roll, which pretty much describes his fare.

Also coming will be pastrami, corned beef and knishes from the Carnegie Deli; chopped brisket — and hand-carved prime rib — sandwiches from Hill Country; kosher food from Carlos & Gabby’s; a gluten-free concession; and desserts from Magnolia Bakery.

Long-suffering fans — some of whom have smuggled in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to temper the cost and agita of dining at the Garden, are about to enter a new era. “We are quite passionate about the food,” said Hank J. Ratner, the arena’s president.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2011/0...e-tastier.html
The New Madison Square Garden Will Be Tastier

By Seth Rosenthal
9/21/11

Quote:
First of all, a quick salute to shitty arena food. Madison Square Garden's concessions, at least in my lifetime, have always been a unique, appropriately offensive experience. Something about the meek floppiness of those personal pizzas or the lardaceous glistening of Ranch One chicken and fries seemed an ideal accompaniment to, say, watching the Knicks or Rangers. Times are changing, though. As the Garden rounds out the first of its summertime renovations, those in charge will hop on board with the sportswide craze of offering choicer concessions. Stands curated by chefs and options for a wider range of tastes and dietary restrictions will line the arena's widened network of concourses. The Times has the details...

And if you read the article, there's much more. I want very badly to be a traditionalist and thumb my nose (getting grease all over my nose in the process) at fancy concessions, but ... damn, that sounds delicious. Of course, if you give a fan an organic chicken sandwich with spicy mayonnaise, he'll probably ask for somewhere to ... go with it.

Does the new Garden accommodate the enjoyment of such exquisite dishes?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 2:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 4:08 PM

Hey! I was on the exact same tour as the guy who posted those Open House New York pics. It was super interesting. That place is cavernous. here are some interesting things they mentioned:

-The tracks already exist under Moynihan as they used to load the back ends of trains with mail so it was loaded out of the back while the passengers in the front would exit out of Penn station.

The phase after that will take an additional 4 years or so and will involve entrances at 31/8th and 33 and 8th corners, then the Inter-modal passage (the mid-block connecter between the old and newer buildings that will serve as the taxi drop off and central entrance to the tracks

-Construction will definitely start for the first four year phase next year. Mainly work on track ventilation to bring the area up to safety code for passengers. With the Hudson Yards being built there's nowhere for smoke to go in a fire so they're installing 4-6 huge fans to ventilate the substructure.

-The post office has been shrinking inside the building. the vast majority of it has been empty for the last ten years. Immensely spacious open rooms with elements (restrooms, etc.) that are largely unchanged from the 1910's.

-We should be seeing a new rendering next year. There will not be a potato chip glass structure in the inter-modal hall as anything that's visible from the street must keep in line with the look of the original landmarked structure.

-They are evaluating different options to make the station pay for itself (train stations in themselves don't make money) They mentioned making it a retail destination and perhaps installing a boutique hotel. They even mentioned a big-box store (Target, department stores) moving into the western side. This makes sense as the floor plates are immense.

-The station will serve intercity trains whereas Penn station across the street will primarily serve commuter traffic. The idea is that commuters don't spend time in the station so it is okay to be more functional than aesthetic, wheres the Moynihan will be an entrance into the city for travelers and will have amenities like Grand Central so that people enjoy spending time there.

-There will be some kind of pedestrian passageway that follows the course of 32nd street through the block.

I'm super excited for this project!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwntwnr View Post
With the Hudson Yards being built there's nowhere for smoke to go in a fire so they're installing 4-6 huge fans to ventilate the substructure.
When you take the train into Penn Station, you can see that the rails are already in place beneath the building, but its the large opening just before where Brookfield plans to build the huge Manhattan West complex. My only (small) regret is that it will block out that one peek of actual daylight that signals you are about to enter Penn Station. However, plans called for some daylight to actually reach the platforms below, so we'll see.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 2:40 PM

This is a very exciting project. Thanks for all the information NYguy and dwntwnr.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 5:11 PM

I went on a tour of the building last night. It was too dark to take good photos, but I have a couple bits of information to add:

1. The construction schedule for Phase I (the West End Concourse expansion and ventilation work) is four years from the beginning of 2012. Even though the scope of work isn't huge, they're severely limited to the times of day that they can do work (only nights and weekends) because of the volume of train traffic directly below where they'll be working. So look for the concourse to open in 2016!

2. Phase II is dependent on funding, which would largely come from the sale of the 2 million square feet of air rights to potential adjacent development. The idea is that once this funding is secured, the construction schedule would be shorter than Phase I because it would not affect the trains below. In fact, Phase II would likely run concurrently with Phase I and finish at the same time, so depending on the health of the NYC office market (which seems to be doing pretty well), you could be boarding Amtrak trains from the new hall also in 2016.

3. We also talked about the MSG Renovation. I've suspected that MSG is doing a phased renovation now because they want to keep their options open in case the Barclays Center really starts to cut into their business in 2012 and MSG decides that it in fact needs a new facility. The guy from the Moynihan Station Redevepment Corporation shot down my theory, though. He believes that MSG will be staying put at least for the foreseeable future (10 years or so). He also mentioned something that I hadn't known but found interesting: MSG will not be renovating the exterior of their building because to do so would lose them their property tax abatement. Not sure on the specifics, but that abatement is substantial (I think they pay no property taxes per se and only make negotiated "payments in lieu of taxes", or PILOTs, to the city). Too bad since the exterior is the worst thing about that building.

And one final note: I think the general public and some people who read about this project on this thread are still under the impression that this is a new train station independent of Penn Station. (A woman on the tour asked if Penn Station would close down when Moynihan Station opened!) This is not a new station. The station is where the trains stop and the tracks and platforms will be where they have always been. What's called Moynihan Station is just a new entrance to Penn Station with greatly improved passenger facilities.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
2. Phase II is dependent on funding, which would largely come from the sale of the 2 million square feet of air rights to potential adjacent development. The idea is that once this funding is secured, the construction schedule would be shorter than Phase I because it would not affect the trains below. In fact, Phase II would likely run concurrently with Phase I and finish at the same time, so depending on the health of the NYC office market (which seems to be doing pretty well), you could be boarding Amtrak trains from the new hall also in 2016.
That I did not know, and is great to hear. At the very least, it's a good sign that they have a way to fund Phase II, or at least a large portion of it.

Thanks for info.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I think the general public and some people who read about this project on this thread are still under the impression that this is a new train station independent of Penn Station. (A woman on the tour asked if Penn Station would close down when Moynihan Station opened!) This is not a new station. The station is where the trains stop and the tracks and platforms will be where they have always been. What's called Moynihan Station is just a new entrance to Penn Station with greatly improved passenger facilities.
I think the name confuses some people, and the fact that above ground it is something "new", and would appear to be accross the street. But underground, it all connects. The platforms beneath Moynihan are there, but there is no public access as it now stands. Trains currently stop between 7th and 8th Avenues, with a little walking to reach either exit. The difference between Moynihan and where Amtrak and NJ Transit trains now stop is shown in the image below:

A block may not seem like a lot, but it is in terms of the way Penn Station works. It is sometimes impossible to even get into the station when the crowds are so large. But the new Moynihan station will releive that as it expands into the Farley building with a large, new concurse/terminus. But beyond that, it gives the station a visible presence as well, something that it lost when the original was demolished. One final thing to keep in mind - the LIRR, which is the largest user of Penn Station, will continue to operate where it currently does, even as it expands into Grand Central.

Meanwhile,

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...are_garden.php
Here Now, a Sneak Peek at the New Madison Square Garden

Wednesday, October 19, 2011, by Sara Polsky

Quote:
Madison Square Garden is in the midst of a long-awaited $775 million makeover, and the pieces of that makeover are finally starting to come together. The powers that be at the Garden led a press tour this afternoon, and while we weren't invited (where's the love, MSG?), we spied a few pics on the @MSGnyc Twitter feed. In the gallery above, some views of the West Balcony, the lower bowl, the new 8th floor Garden Concourse, and the future location of those 200-foot-long catwalks, which we now know will be called the Chase Bridges. We're a little sad to see the disappearance of the teal and purple seating color scheme, but the catwalks will cheer us up.

Where the skybridges, called Chase Bridges, will be

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development