HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm not sure how this will integrate into the larger Navy Pier masterplan that they've selected, but the Shakespeare Theater announced a long time ago that their expansion was going to be handled by Trahan Architects.

As for the rendering, take it up with these folks. I'm guessing most students would kill for that client list.
Thanks for the images spyguy, looks pretty cool. Do you if the Shakespeare Theater has said anything about timeline or even funding for the expansion?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ I generally agree with what you are saying, but there are pretty clearly structural collumns visible through the glass, they are just set back about 15 feet from the glass suggesting a cantilevered floor plate.

But yeah, the "glass" appears to have no realistic detail to it and is really hard to discern given the fuzzy rendering.
Sometimes glass rendered "as is" doesn't make the money shot. So it'll get touched up to look more transparent than it is and glow as well. Though there's actually ways to make glass look like that in real life with acid etch treatments and cleverly placed floor lighting.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:09 PM

I'm not sure if the glass can be achieved as is, but that rippling with the subtle colorations is totally different than anything I've seen. Looking at the graphics firms website, many of their images look similarly hazy. I wonder how much of that coloration is what the glass may look (or might have looked) like and what is simply silly rendering...
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
I'm not sure if the glass can be achieved as is, but that rippling with the subtle colorations is totally different than anything I've seen. Looking at the graphics firms website, many of their images look similarly hazy. I wonder how much of that coloration is what the glass may look (or might have looked) like and what is simply silly rendering...
To answer your question honestly...it's for effect. It doesn't mean it's literal. You see this rendering style done a lot for cultural or educational projects. As ardecila pointed out, it's a favorite image quality among young designers, but it's become more mainstream with larger firms. I personally like it. It's a return of artistic styles that had been lost when water/prisma color and sketch drawings were replaced with 3D renderings which delivered photo realistic imagery. The latest industry trend is more toward surreal scenery comprised of post-render photo collaging, layering and color tweaking

Though I think the glass may look different if this project becomes reality, it doesn't mean it's impossible to achieve. You can use butt-joint glazing to reduce mullion visibility and a variety of acid-etch treatments applied in gradient patterns to create those darker shades near those bending points. The way acid-etched glass refracts light makes it appear it's glowing. Using appropriate directional lighting and color temperature you can get that nice warm glow effect.

But there is alot of information left out, because it's just a concept or marketing image. The real details will be conveyed through construction documents. For example, railings can be done as a simple piece of glass, but they'll require standoffs mounted at the bottom, connecting to the slab...and obviously they aren't visible.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:50 PM
BANNED

Question: would this 'design' also house the expanded Children's Museum? I was trying to figure out what they are going to put in this massive thing, but that would explain it if it included added space for the Children's museum.

Looking at what details we do have on it, it seems like this could be quite a striking design. It appears to be massed like an accordion with alternating "folds" of glass. They probably don't have the details of the facade worked out which would explain the fudging on the rendering.

PS, really big renderings here:

http://www.by-encore.com/archives/1274

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:29 PM
TL;DR

I didn't realize this was a Trahan project. They do awesome work, but it's a bit odd to see them working in Chicago - they're based in Baton Rouge. They're sorta split between a stadiums side where they do some fairly average university-athletic stuff and then a boutique architecture side where they do this awesome avant-garde stuff. As far as I know, it's the same people doing both kinds of projects.

This is another project of theirs with similar rippled cladding. As you can see, there's a double-wall system with traditional glass on the inside. I'm guessing the rippled material is ETFE, with negative air pressure inside the cavity so the surface is concave. You can tint the ETFE, screen-print a frit onto it, and then you can overlay that on top of whatever treatments are done to the glass behind.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I didn't realize this was a Trahan project. They do awesome work, but it's a bit odd to see them working in Chicago - they're based in Baton Rouge.
According to their website, they have a location in Chicago?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfchi View Post
It's been a year. Still no news?
I was wondering the same recently. Haven't heard anything and I did do some quick searches. The official page on Navy Pier's website for the future vision has no mention of updates, just the 2012 design team selection.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 5:56 AM

Seems like a good article pitch. Shouldn't take too much digging to find at least some kind of an update. Is someone dropping the ball? Did money fall through? Was the proposal contest a big fat scam? Did Rahm kill it?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:10 PM

James Corner Pier Redesigns

I didn't see any images on this thread of the James Corner Navy Pier redesigns, so I thought I'd just post them:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 8:14 PM

Also, a good article by Blair Kamin after James Corner was selected:

Trib article

and youtube video

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 4:51 AM

Some of these ideas are really neat. So much potential at Navy Pier. Hope they go big with it (and then implement BRT/LRT to connect it with the Michigan Ave corridor).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 1:41 PM

So it appears his plan is to disburse one hit of acid to everyone who comes to Navy Pier?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 2:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
So it appears his plan is to disburse one hit of acid to everyone who comes to Navy Pier?

I'd say a hit of acid and a few tokes, to be exact..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 7:33 PM

The best part (to me) is that the Children's Museum is now definitely staying put. No need to worry about Grant Park desecration

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 6:06 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Renderings from the Tribune article today:

http://galleries.apps.chicagotribune...pier-pictures/

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 4:50 PM

Harry Caray's sues to block Navy Pier makeover

Quote:
Harry Caray's Restaurant Group has gone to court to block a plan to revamp Navy Pier, saying the project would block views of Lake Michigan and the Chicago skyline from its restaurant there.

The planned makeover includes 30-foot tall trees and planter boxes in front of the Harry Caray's Tavern that also would attract rats and pose a fire hazard, according to a lawsuit filed yesterday in Cook County Circuit Court. But the blocked views present the biggest problem, the suit says.

[...]

Navy Pier Inc., the non-profit that runs the pier, said it "will vigorously defend our position in court," according to a statement.

"We are disappointed that the owners of Harry Caray's have decided to try and stop this improvement," the statement said. "In anticipation of the start of renovations, we met numerous times with the managing partner, Mr. Grant DePorter, in an effort to address his concerns without compromising the quality or construction timetable of the renovations."

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:34 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Another frivolous lawsuit. Disgraceful.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:42 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Sure seems like we've had a rash of these recently too. Maybe with some high profile dismissals, starting yesterday, silly potential plaintiffs such as these will rethink going this route....

Old Posted Nov 20, 2013, 6:49 PM
tilted & shifted

The Navy Pier makeover is desperately needed. But these these folks would rather save their views than see the city progress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development