HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoChicago View Post
Knowing Daley, it's all about ego. He wants to prove he can building Grant Park. This town doesn't have enough green space as it is. Pisses me off.
I agree...we need more green space and I am not talking about "green space" like Millenium Park or Grant Park, I mean we should have more green space like Lincoln Park!

And its not about what is IN the Childrens Museum...its just a fun place fun kids to go that is also educational. It just fits well with the family theme of Navy Pier!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 4:58 PM
BANNED

ChicagoChicago

I dont!

When i was that young i really dident care about a museum even if it was for children.

Last edited by America 117; Aug 18, 2008 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 6:13 PM
Chicago carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by America 117 View Post
ChicagoChicago

I dont!

When i was that young i really dident care about a museum even if it was for children.
I know you don't hate children. Daley has been calling the people opposed to moving the children's museum racists and children haters. It's his red herring.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 7:43 PM
Dance with the Devil

forget the new plan
Just finish Burnham's Plan of Chicago from 1909.
now that would be a beauty

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 8:52 PM

^^^ Now that would be great.

Burnham Plan 1909

Yikes!! I didn't realize my scan was so BIG. sorry

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 9:52 PM
BANNED

That would not look good in chicago.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 10:10 PM

You know what would be really great...to have a big cruise ship...something like carnival cruises, do weekend or 5 day cruises on Lake Michigan. They can visit Milwaukee, Mackinac Island, and other popular tourist places on the large lake. And have its main docking station be somewhere around Navy Pier. Or even just making it a "Great Lakes Cruise" starting in Chicago and possibly going to Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland, and ending in Toronto?

Haha what future thinking!

Last edited by Chicagoguy; Aug 19, 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 10:01 PM

That proposal was mind-bogglingly atrocious, and thankfully it will likely never see the light of day.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:18 AM

Give this thread the old Bump

I thought someone should revive this thread seeing as how there has been a giant competition going on now for moths over the redesign of Navy Pier. Though the budget is only 80 mil, to designs look the be in the billions. Will anything (if ever decided on) even be built?

Here is a little BK article about the lack of a decision on the final design so far. The biggest surprise so far was Jeane Gang's early elimination.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:55 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

^ The competition entries are also on display in the Santa Fe Building's light court (adjacent to the CAFs Model City).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 2:58 AM

New Navy Pier Plans

No one seems to care, I'll head over to the general developments and see if I can drum up some interest, but the winner of the competition for the renovation of Navy Pier has been announced. See a writeup here and here by BK. Alot of New York Firms in the mix, but whatever...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 5:16 AM

Can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I usually completely miss absolutely everything that is going on in Chicago because of the way everything gets lumped into the "general developments" thread and it takes a LONG time to sort through. I don't know how that tradition got started, but I sorta wish the Chicago folks would split it up and create separate threads for each project...

For example, with New York, I always check in on news on Brooklyn Bridge Park, Atlantic Yards, and the High Line; but I ignore the threads on most other projects (except occasionally checking in on longer-term projects like Hudson Yards) because there is A LOT going on across the world, and frankly, I only have time to check in on projects that are of interest to me for some reason. I'm sure there are some great things going on in a world class city like Chicago, but every time I've opened the "General Developments" page I have to sort through page after page of discussion about stuff I am unfamiliar with and lack any context for understanding. At least when each project has its own thread, you can go back to the first post and get an idea of what the project is about.

Funny thing is I usually completely forget Chicago is actively discussed on this forum unless something reminds me... I was reminded this time when I checked this thread because it looked like something "new" (or at least recently bumped) and read ChiPhi's comment. I suppose with only 30 posts to your account you probably aren't the best one to complain to about this, but rather than assuming nobody cares about Chicago and its developments, maybe the Chicago posters should realize that their city would get more attention on here if they'd just break up that stupid "General Developments" thread.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 6:01 AM
TL;DR

Most of the people discussing Chicago are Chicagoans. We like having a relatively small number of threads to check, because that saves time when checking the forums and allows us to have open discussions with less fear of going off-topic.

I can speak for New Orleans, too... when we had a jumble of different threads, there were maybe three regular posters and I was the only person actually living in the city. After we centralized things into the City Compilations thread, we formed a robust community with 15-20 members who post regularly. Given the relative lack of highrise development, we usually feel free to discuss any and all forms of urban development including retail, parks, transportation, economics, etc all in the same thread.

It seems like New York by having a constellation of threads attracts a lot of people who are interested in updates but don't contribute to a larger discussion, either because they don't live in New York or because they are constrained by the narrow topic of each thread.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 1:46 AM

The Denver folks discuss local issues in the way you're talking about on the regional forum... thought this section of the forum was meant for showing off what your city is doing to the rest of the skyscraperpage community. I didn't realize extensive discussion was required to justify a project specific thread. You guys are of course free to do whatever you want, I'm just saying, the Chicago thread attracts mostly Chicagoans because nobody else has the time to sort through the discussion. As a result, the rest of us don't really know what's going on in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:52 AM
TL;DR

Yeah... for the Boom Rundown at least, we tried to remedy that by putting a complete list of all proposals and U/C in the first post of the thread, so non-Chicagoans could see all of the major projects at once. But constantly editing that first post became a pain both for the OP and the mods.

The general developments thread was intended for neighborhood development and other sorts of small-scale projects where we can just discuss them casually without worrying about every little detail of financing drama and construction minutiae. We don't necessarily even follow projects from start to finish.

I approve of the Navy Pier thread, though. It's a big project with a well-known design team and it will become very visible and well-known, even to tourists. Part of the rationale for the revamp is to bring Chicagoans back to the pier, though.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:03 AM
THAT Guy

Chicago Shakespeare Theater expansion proposal

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:05 AM

^^^^
Looks really great. I think the slightly deconstructivist look, yet incredibly simple glass curtain wall would look amazing. Any idea of how this will look in the larger plan? What does this change? Was this the plan that had that weird opening roof thing that the theater people disliked?
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:30 AM
TL;DR

Oh boy... this looks like a student project, or at least a competition entry.

Hazy, atmospheric rendering? Check.
No means of structural support? Check.
Unrealistic degree of transparency? Check.
Lots of figures standing around doing nothing? Check.

If the handrails were missing, I'd get a bingo.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 1:39 PM
BANNED

^^^ I generally agree with what you are saying, but there are pretty clearly structural collumns visible through the glass, they are just set back about 15 feet from the glass suggesting a cantilevered floor plate.

But yeah, the "glass" appears to have no realistic detail to it and is really hard to discern given the fuzzy rendering.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:39 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
^^^^
Any idea of how this will look in the larger plan? What does this change? Was this the plan that had that weird opening roof thing that the theater people disliked?
I'm not sure how this will integrate into the larger Navy Pier masterplan that they've selected, but the Shakespeare Theater announced a long time ago that their expansion was going to be handled by Trahan Architects.

As for the rendering, take it up with these folks. I'm guessing most students would kill for that client list.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development