HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 12:13 AM

I haven't been following the whole thread, but I did see the pictures of people up on the line. Is it accessible now? Do they offer tours? How can one get up there?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 2:58 AM
low-riding

not open to the public yet. though if you want to sneak on and take pics...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 4:35 AM

Can't wait to watch this thing further develop. In some ways, I'll miss the old, overgrown, abandoned high line. Used to walk along it... it had rough beauty about it and was a quiet escape from the city.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2008, 5:18 PM

I do love the skywalk/promenade concept, but it seems so out of place for Manhattan. Will it connect into Central Park?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 8:56 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.amny.com/news/local/am-hi...,4013767.story

Eye-catching building highlights High Line rebirth

By David Freedlander
March 6, 2008

The transformation of the High Line from a rotting railway to a postmodern park traveled further down the track Wednesday as plans were unveiled for a new tower slated to open next year.

The building, called HL23, is the first project by architectural theorist Neil Denari. It will lean above the elevated park at an angle and taper upward to give the appearance of growing out of the old rail bed.

"The site makes what the building is, happen," Denari said. " The High Line is the start of the action. I used to live near there, and I always thought that if you could give me my choice of places to build in the city, I'd take this one."

Denari's not the only one. There are now more than 40 projects going up around the elevated railway, and the area is quickly becoming known in architectural circles as a global hotspot for new and interesting buildings.

"Because there is no context in this neighborhood, I thought you could do something different," said Alf Naman, the project's developer.

The 11 residences at HL23, which gets its name from its location on West 23rd Street between 10th and 11th avenues, will range in size from 1,850 to 3,600 square feet, and cost between $2.65 million and $10.5 million.

The project was unveiled Wednesday at Craftsteak, a Chelsea restaurant, to brokers and industry insiders.

The 14-story building will be the focus of a June exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York on new architecture and the High Line.

Some locals are wondering, though, if development in the area has gone too far.

"It's too much, and it's a lot of dust and traffic," said Silvia Baldwin, 58, a 16-year resident of the neighborhood, as she pointed to the forest of construction cranes looming over her West Chelsea street. "I feel like we're losing too many low-income people."

John Tyler, 65, a life-long resident of the area, agreed. He used to work on the piers unloading ships and remembered when the neighborhood was mostly tenements and trains ran on the strange tracks that seemed to float in the air.

"I wish it didn't change so fast," he said. "What was here they should have left alone. They should just let certain parts of Manhattan be."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2008, 9:01 AM
New Yorker for life

This is all very exciting. I do like the constrast in these shots (posted on curbed.com

http://www.standardhotels.com/new-york-city/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 9:24 PM
welcome to the madness

^^^Why are there tracks still sitting on the High Line? I thought they were all taken up.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 10:10 PM

Has hl23 started construction yet?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2008, 10:38 PM

Wow I just checked out this thread for the first time today. This project is going to be one of the most unique and interesting pieces of urban space anywhere. The layout of the "park" will help encourage interaction among those using the space which I think is neat. This sort of begs a question for me though: if the main function of this space is a park, and one of the purposes of which for some people is to get away from "it all" and have some peace and solitude, will this be a desireable place to stroll around in? It certainly would be for me, but maybe not to the majority.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
^^^Why are there tracks still sitting on the High Line? I thought they were all taken up.
They were removed temporarily for construction. As the park progresses, they will be returned.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i View Post
This sort of begs a question for me though: if the main function of this space is a park, and one of the purposes of which for some people is to get away from "it all" and have some peace and solitude, will this be a desireable place to stroll around in? It certainly would be for me, but maybe not to the majority.
The transformation of this elevated line into a park has made the area that surrounds it the hottest area for development in the city.

Quote:
There are now more than 40 projects going up around the elevated railway, and the area is quickly becoming known in architectural circles as a global hotspot for new and interesting buildings.
I don't think the idea is just to "get away from it all", but it will be an elevated, limited access direct link to Hudson River Park with a variety of activities around it. As an added bonus, it just so happens that the terminus will be in Manhattan's future Hudson Yards development. The first segment is scheduled to open sometime this year, and I can't wait.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:18 PM
New Yorker for life

http://chelseanow.com/cn_76/talkingpoint.html

Paths, plants, blogs: Working on the railroad park

Work is well underway on Section 1 — the southern part — of the High Line park project. Section 1 is expected to open by the end of this year.

By Katie Lorah
March 07 - 13, 2008

The public space on the High Line is now taking shape above the streets and sidewalks of the Meatpacking District and West Chelsea.

Landscape construction has started on Section 1 of the High Line (Gansevoort St. to 20th St.). Workers are installing the park’s pathways, made of long, smooth, concrete planks. These planks are tapered at the ends to allow plants to push up through the gaps, blurring the boundary between the hard surfaces and the planting. Some of these planks curl up from the surface of the pathway to create the High Line’s signature benches.

At the same time, the construction crew is reinstalling many of the steel rail tracks, where trains once ran. The tracks were marked for their original location before being put in storage during site preparation. They are now being returned to these locations, incorporated into the plantings, as a reminder of the history and original purpose of the High Line.

There will be an access point rising from street level about every two blocks in Section 1. At two of these points — one at Gansevoort St. and one at 14th St. — the stairway will cut directly through the steel structure itself. This will bring visitors up through the massive steel beams and hand-driven rivets of the High Line, coming face to face with the structure itself, before arriving on the landscape on top. Workers recently removed sections of the steel I-beams at both of these locations, creating cutaways for the stairs.

Later this spring, a team of horticulturists, led by Dutch planting designer Piet Oudolf, plan to start planting on the High Line. The plantings in the park are inspired by the wild landscape that grew up naturally on the structure after the trains stopped running. There will be a focus on native and drought-resistant plants, with many of the same species of grasses and shrubs that were originally found on the High Line.

Section 1 is projected to open by the end of 2008, and Section 2 (20th to 30th Sts.) is projected to open by the end of 2009.

Although the High Line up to 30th St. is secure, owned by the city, and on its way to becoming a public park, the future of the High Line north of 30th St. is still uncertain. This section, about one-third of the line, wraps around the West Side Rail Yards, a 26-acre site owned by the state-run Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The M.T.A. is planning to lease the rail yards site to a private developer for high-density residential and commercial development. As part of this development, the High Line at the rail yards might be partially or fully demolished. Friends of the High Line is working with city, state and federal elected officials and community leaders to ensure that the High Line is fully preserved at the rail yards. F.H.L. has also started a Rail Yards Blog to monitor activity at this important West Side site: http://railyardsblog.org.

Friends of the High Line is now transitioning into a conservancy organization, which will work with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation to maintain and operate the park when it is complete. As part of this transition, Friends of the High Line has recently launched a Charter Membership program. Membership dollars will help make sure the High Line is maintained and operated at a high standard, making it a well-loved neighborhood park. Friends of the High Line is planning a full roster of community events in the year leading up to the opening of Section 1. To learn more about becoming a Charter Member, upcoming events and volunteer opportunities, please visit www.thehighline.org. You can also read the High Line Blog at http://blog.thehighline.org.

Lorah is media and project manager, Friends of the High Line

Old Posted Mar 12, 2008, 1:27 PM
New Yorker for life

http://chelseanow.com/cn_76/wchelsearaps.html

W. Chelsea raps about Jay-Z hotel venture

The property at 511 W. 21 St., which runs through to 510 W. 22nd St., where hip-hop entertainer and new development entrepreneur Jay-Z and partners plan to build a 12-story hotel in the untapped West Chelsea area near the High Line

By Charlotte Cowles
March 07 - 13, 2008

The stretch of Tenth Ave. between 22nd and 21st Sts. in Chelsea lies in an area where avant-garde art galleries commingle with historic row houses, churches and auto-body shops on Manhattan’s low-rise West Side frontier.

But with the flurry of recent development after the rezoning of West Chelsea, the formidable orange brick warehouse at 511 W. 21st St. adjacent to the High Line is set for one of the area’s more ambitious high-rise projects—by one of the city’s more talked-about new developers.

This idyllic location is where hip-hop mogul and entrepreneur Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter will make his entree into the luxury development game by partnering with a pair of local developers on a planned five-star hotel set for the site.

The initial “J Hotels” project—an anticipated 12-story, 190-unit hotel that will feature a host of luxury amenities and attempt to tap into the area’s arts culture—got under way when Jay-Z and partners Abram Shnay and Charles Blaichman bought the Time Warner-owned site and accompanying air rights for $66 million in December.

The development team wanted to construct an “architecturally significant” hotel to complement what they saw as an under-serviced neighborhood, which Shnay said is quickly transitioning from a pure arts district to Manhattan’s hottest new nabe.

“There’s nothing like it in all the city,” Shnay told Chelsea Now of his venture, which enlisted world-class architect Rafael Vinoly to design the project, according filings with the city Department of Buildings. “This is pretty ambitious.”

Shnay cited the area’s reputation as the center of the art world as the main draw for J Hotels, and dismissed any notion that the group would try to play off the name recognition of its marquee partner.

“He’s obviously glamorous and an important person and well-known celebrity,” Shnay admitted of Jay-Z. “This is not being done as some sort of ego thing—this is basically a business investment.”

Plans for a hotel, which Shnay acknowledged could change depending in current market conditions, include a restaurant, spa and other retail uses, as well as a possible gallery component. The 12-story structure will be built as-of-right, and he said no variances to the zoning code will need to be sought at the site.

Describing the hotel as having a luxury “Four Seasons kind of atmosphere,” Shnay reiterated that any pomp surrounding the project—with red carpets, limos and flashbulbs—would not be self-generated. “We don’t want that whole kind of scene,” he said.

The current scene in the neighborhood is a classic mix of old and new Chelsea: 22nd St. is home to some of the area’s pioneering avant-garde art galleries, and an old Catholic church and school stand quietly on the corner of 21st St. and Tenth Avenue. A touristy hotel with any amount of glitz will definitely bring change to the neighborhood, said Karen Heaste, who works at Matthew Marks Gallery on 22nd St.

“At the same time, it’s so New York—the change in the neighborhood,” Heaste said. “I don’t want to sound curmudgeonly about it, but I remember when it was just the serious art pioneers who were coming here. I feel like I spend a lot of my time now telling people where they can eat lunch or park their cars instead of having conversations about, you know, the nuts and bolts of modern art.”

Heaste, however, seemed optimistic about the entertainer’s presence in the neighborhood. “I know Jay-Z is a collector and a supporter of the arts,” she said, adding she wasn’t so sure hotel patrons would follow his example. “I do hope there’s some concern for the preservation of the neighborhood.”

Father Fernando Hernandez, administrator of the Parish of the Guardian Angels on 21st St. and Tenth Ave., hadn’t heard much about the hotel but felt optimistic about the prospect. “Whatever can enhance the community is positive,” he said. “I’m positive about any change that brings people to this area. It used to be that all the nice restaurants were over on Eighth Avenue, and now they’ve spread over to Ninth and 10th, and I really like that.”

However, Father Fernando also hoped that the hotel would not drive up rent prices in the area. “I do like the mix in this neighborhood,” he said. “I don’t want this to move the galleries out or displace the old folks. I hope the Chelsea flavor is preserved—it’s artsy, kind of different.”

Maureen McElduff, the principal of the Catholic school affiliated with the parish, has lived a block away from the hotel site all her life. “I’ll be happy as long as it’s a well-run establishment and as long as they keep us in mind,” she said. “You know, we have children here.” McElduff commented that much of the change she has witnessed in the neighborhood during her lifetime has been positive. “There’s been a lot of revitalization,” she said, adding, “I think some of it is getting out of hand… I’m glad about the restrictions as far as buildings going up. They try to keep it residential, and that’s good.”

Some also expressed concern that an influx of hotels and nightclubs on the West Side would drive out the indigenous galleries. Indeed, some of them have already left. “From what I understand a lot of galleries are moving to the Lower East Side,” said Renate Gonzalez, co-owner of the Empire Diner on 22nd St. and Tenth Avenue. “The way the neighborhood is going, it doesn’t surprise me.”

The other co-owner of the Empire Diner, Mitchell Woo, struck a more optimistic note. “Some people could be coming to the hotel to see the galleries,” he said. Believing the hotel could benefit all the businesses in the area, he quoted an old Chinese saying: “A rising tide lifts all boats.”

While the hotel will not require any zoning variances, former Community Board 4 chairperson Lee Compton said that neither Board 4 nor the committee he chairs, Chelsea Preservation and Planning, had been informed of the project. It’s a trend, Compton noted, he sees increasing in Chelsea.

If a new project is as-of-right, he said, such consultation by developers has been happening less and less—unlike in Clinton farther north, or in neighboring Community Board 5, where builders of massive as-of-right projects often stop by the board to let them know what’s going on.

“We would more than welcome such a visit about the 21st Street hotel,” Compton added. “We might even be able to help them sort out any vexing details.”

Last week, the area rang with hammering noises and teemed with construction workers, but not for the incoming hotel. Gerard Zimmerman, chief inspector for the High Line, said that they were there working on the elevated railway that passes just inches from the future hotel.

“They’re turning it into a park up there,” he said of the High Line. “When all this is done, all these buildings around it are going to be worth big bucks. That hotel they’re going to build? It’ll be park-front property.”

Zimmerman, who has overseen construction on the High Line for several months, said that the park plans have inspired many developers like Jay-Z and Co. to snatch up property along the old railway. The park will bring green space to the area as well as provide a pedestrian highway straight to the glitzy clubs, destination restaurants and high-end boutiques of the nearby Meatpacking District. “All the meat guys are leaving,” said Zimmerman. “It’s getting too expensive. All the building owners are happy, but the residents and tenants aren’t.”

Regardless, the area has begun a natural transformation that will ultimately lead to a more “diverse ecosystem,” which includes hotels, office buildings, residential condos and galleries, said local architect and developer Peter Moore.

“It doesn’t benefit West Chelsea to be a gallery ghetto,” said Moore, who just finished construction of his own office building on 27th St. between 10th and 11th Aves. He championed innovative real estate projects like the new hotel as the best approach to take in the evolving “organic mix” of the West Chelsea landscape.

“From a neighborhood point of view, congestion is never welcome,” Moore said. “But I think the enthusiasm from creative developers and architects outweighs the problems of growth.”

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The transformation of this elevated line into a park has made the area that surrounds it the hottest area for development in the city.

I don't think the idea is just to "get away from it all", but it will be an elevated, limited access direct link to Hudson River Park with a variety of activities around it. As an added bonus, it just so happens that the terminus will be in Manhattan's future Hudson Yards development. The first segment is scheduled to open sometime this year, and I can't wait.
I wasn't making any arguments regarding desirability of the area for development. That's not to say I don't think this will be an amazing space, and I have previously stated in my other post that it in fact will be. I was simply questioning the functioning of this space as a park simpliciter.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2008, 6:22 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV_325i View Post
I was simply questioning the functioning of this space as a park simpliciter.
I think you misunderstand the funtion of park space in Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:17 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.inhabitat.com/2008/03/24/high-line-23/

High Line 23 Brings New Green Tower to Chelsea Skyline

by Ali Kriscenski
March 24, 2008

High Line 23, or HL23, is a new green building from Neil M. Denari Architects that is currently under construction and turning heads soon in the Chelsea art gallery district on Manhattan’s west side. The structure is a 14 floor mixed use of gallery space and condominiums with amazing views of the evolving High Line elevated park preservation and green space reuse project. With an impressively small footprint of just 40’ x 99’ and a multitude of green building technologies, HL23’s cantilevered silhouette is made even more exquisite by the expected achievement of LEED Gold certification.

The building’s geometry is an ambitious response to the development site’s limited space, maximizing zoning restrictions and expanding the possibilities out over the park. Naturally ventilated and daylit spaces fill 11 residential condominiums fitted with water conserving fixtures, energy efficient appliances and low VOC materials. Reused and recycled materials are incorporated throughout the structure and 75% of construction waste will be reused and recycled to be diverted from landfills.

A high-performance building envelope and highly reflective roofing material will decrease HL23’s heat and energy loads, as well as help moderate urban heat island effect. From its tiny footprint, HL23 towers skyward housing 39,000 square feet with homes between 1,850 and 3,600 s.f., including a top floor penthouse that will run $10.5 million.

While among the leading architects of his time, Denari will count High Line 23 as his first free-standing building when completed in late 2009 - an enduring green design trend that we certainly hope continues.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 10:00 PM

Standard Hotel, mid-March

Old Posted Apr 3, 2008, 7:04 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Great pics.

http://curbed.com/archives/2008/04/0...minent.php?o=0

High Line Construction Chronicles: Soil Imminent!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008, by Joey

Even though it doesn't quite feel like spring yet, and the thought of gallivanting on an outdoor elevated former railway does not sound like the most appealing activity at the moment, the latest High Line construction update from the High Line Blog is enough to make any sourpuss giddy. There's a lot more walkway to show off since the last time we checked in, and that's not all: landscaping on Phase 1 will soon begin. Let the Friends of the High Line explain:

The first shipment of soil is due on site at the beginning of April. Trees and shrubs will be the next to arrive on site, with plantings coming a few months from now. This layered installation process will take shape over the next six months on the High Line. Currently, a filter fabric membrane is being attached to the planking system. This is being installed to ensure that soil stays in the planting beds and prevents debris and other fine particles from entering and clogging the drainage system that runs below the planted areas. Once the filter fabric is in, soil can be brought to the site.

Delicious. We already got a look at this season's exciting sand delivery, and now it's time to bring on the soil!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:02 AM
Everywhere all at once

OMGGGG (convulsions)

It's gettin' thurrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
OMGGGG (convulsions)

It's gettin' thurrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I think this is the single most exciting opening of the year in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development