HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
Yeah this is my neighborhood, total bummer like so much of the recent development
Does anybody know what the plans are for the strip mall on the southeast corner of Berwyn and Broadway? It seems like the owner has been letting the leases lapse without filling in the space. Getting rid of one of those strip malls is the sort of thing that would seriously change the neighborhood for the better.

I'm planning to move to Lakewood-Balmoral, and that strip on Broadway between Foster and Balmoral just kills me.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:53 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewbs View Post
Does anybody know what the plans are for the strip mall on the southeast corner of Berwyn and Broadway? It seems like the owner has been letting the leases lapse without filling in the space. Getting rid of one of those strip malls is the sort of thing that would seriously change the neighborhood for the better.
^ How would you know that the owner is letting leases lapse as opposed to simply being unable to find new tenants?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:55 PM

Rauner Vet Studios - 2908 W Roosevelt

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:

I'm planning to move to Lakewood-Balmoral, and that strip on Broadway between Foster and Balmoral just kills me.
the residents of lakwood balmoral sealed their fate when they gave us the strip mall on the west side of broadway

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:

They could be shopping for a buyer. The land on the other side of the tracks was sold last year, and a rendering is floating around from a development group for that 5-story apartment building. The parcel in question is not listed as one of the "LBMM" CTA-owned sites (as part of the RPM project), but the Jewel parking lot across the street (per a circa-2018 document) is slated for a temporary staging site of some kind I would guess (it's listed as a "construction easement" site).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 12:32 AM

Wisconsin firm planning big Medical District project

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...strict-project

Quote:
A Wisconsin real estate developer is hunting for companies to anchor a big project it's planning in the Illinois Medical District, betting the Near West Side health care-centric campus is poised for growth coming out of the COVID-19 crisis.

General Capital Group has hired the Chicago office of brokerage CBRE as the leasing agency for a building that could be as large as 500,000 square feet at 1240 S. Wood St. in the southern portion of the IMD. The project, framed as a "build-to-suit" development on a vacant full city block bounded by Wood and 13th streets and Wolcott and Washburne avenues, is being marketed to prospective users as medical offices, life sciences lab space or educational or health-tech commercial space along what CBRE dubs the "Wood Street Medical Mile"—a stretch of properties running through the heart of an area that includes Rush University Medical Center, the John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County and UI Health.

General Capital, based in suburban Milwaukee, signed a 100-year ground lease for the IMD-owned site last May after the District selected it as the parcel's prospective developer. Now the company is touting what it thinks will be a compelling location for any number of health care industry users, especially if demand for office or research space in the IMD grows in the wake of the pandemic.

Marketing materials for the project show an eight-story building along the eastern portion of the site, which would be connected to a parking garage along the western edge. Gorens-Levey said the developer could build it for one large user or, if the developer can pre-lease enough space to land a construction loan, it could be developed in pieces with a smaller building going up first.

If anything gets built, the site would mark the first new development in a federal Opportunity Zone within the IMD.

General Capital is best known for developing affordable housing but recently expanded its work into life sciences when it developed over 600,000 square feet of lab and research space combined in Madison, Wis., for molecular diagnostics company Exact Sciences and genetic sequencing company Illumina.
Currently a vacant lot, so I guess that's something positive. Of course, this area just continues to be built pretty suburban.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-87.6716097

Rendering:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 12:38 AM
The City

^ Saw that. Hope it’s successful

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Currently a vacant lot, so I guess that's something positive. Of course, this area just continues to be built pretty suburban.
My understanding of medical facilities is that they need a lot of parking and road access. In my hometown in Indiana, they demolished the ~75 year old hospital downtown and built a new one near the state highways for better ambulance access. Minutes save lives, after all. We're all fans of urban development here, but my understanding is that many of these IMD facilities need parking lots and easy car access near the Ike so that it can accommodate people coming in from all over the metro area.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
the residents of lakwood balmoral sealed their fate when they gave us the strip mall on the west side of broadway
Is there a story behind that?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ How would you know that the owner is letting leases lapse as opposed to simply being unable to find new tenants?
You're right, I don't. I haven't seen any "for lease" signs in the windows, though, and it's really a lot of open spaces. I recall seeing a sign in the door of one of the closed stores at one point saying something about their lease not having been renewed, but that was a while ago and I can't remember the details now (and might be totally wrong).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 10:45 PM

Those lots are prime for redevelopment. Close to the Redline, Broadway and Sheridan buses, Foster Beach, Marianos and Jewel, and restaurants of Andersonville. If I had the money, I would buy the properties and redevelop them once the leases ran out.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 2:09 AM

This is great for that area, that area is hemmed in so getting something you have to drive to is no big deal. Bringing more jobs to the area is very good. The residential in that area needs to fill in denser east of Ashland

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 4:10 PM

New construction building permit was issued for 2420 W Grand Ave (near Western). Plans are for a new 4 story, 28 unit building with ground floor retail and a 29 car garage with 12 more spaces outside.

This is formerly Sachs Auto Sales, which hasn't existed in over 5 years. It's been a single story building and a field of weeds since. There were other plans for the parcel on Western awhile ago, but not sure what is going on with that. Architect is Axios Architects.

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...!4d-87.6876834

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 6:36 PM

Not sure if it was posted here already, but new to me. Saw this on Madison yesterday, at Carpenter. Going by the name Madison + Carpenter. 4/5 BR condos at 1.75m to 3.5m—sales info at the domain sixnorthcarpenter.com. Would have expected a development like this on perhaps a quieter corner.

From the sales site:

Last edited by jc5680; Apr 11, 2021 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wisconsin firm planning big Medical District project

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...strict-project

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-87.6716097
The rendering is a weird angle; this is the back of the site, from the corner of Wolcott/13th. The front of the building is definitely facing Wood St and looks like it might have a proper urban front door, but that's not shown here. I think the site plan is about as good as it could be, given the demand for some convenient at-grade parking (I assume for visitors). The developers are actually playing up "transit oriented" aspect but in reality the Polk CTA stop is too far away and nobody wants to cross Roosevelt on foot. CTA has talked about a new station at Roosevelt in the past, but I don't see that happening ever.

I also posted a few weeks ago Chicago Lighthouse's plan to build a midrise assisted living tower at Wood/Roosevelt, so they are actually filling in part of their "suburban" parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I also posted a few weeks ago Chicago Lighthouse's plan to build a midrise assisted living tower at Wood/Roosevelt, so they are actually filling in part of their "suburban" parking lot.
It's good to see these fill up. I posted a few weeks ago about Roosevelt Square phase 3 from Related Midwest. Was kind of surprised to see nobody talk about it. On the other side of Addams Medill Park on Roosevelt, 2 new buildings on vacant lots - 6 stories and 70 units each. Pretty close to the IMD in general.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
Not sure if it was posted here already, but new to me. Saw this on Madison yesterday, at Carpenter. Going by the name Madison + Carpenter. 4/5 BR condos at 1.75m to 3.5m—sales info at the domain sixnorthcarpenter.com. Would have expected a development like this on perhaps a quieter corner.
Even though this looks kind of 'imitation' International Style, I like it. The mass is nicely broken up and it's a good mix of materials that strikes a good balance between the appearance of delicacy and that of strength.

To me, it's a good example of how big, academic ideas eventually trickle out into the larger local culture, forming a vernacular (the length of time they stick around serving as a testament to the value of the idea). Like how terra cotta companies in the early 20th C imitated Sullivan's ornament and it ended up on numerous quotidian commercial buildings throughout the city.

I don't know what's with that superfluous "halo" on the top, though; is this the Modern equivalent of the gable end with no roof behind it?

I also noticed the price point vis-à-vis the location -- seemingly a loud corner for $1.75MM and up. (I guess the floor plan is so large you can escape into its depths for some quiet time?) Heady times in the West Loop...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Even though this looks kind of 'imitation' International Style, I like it. The mass is nicely broken up and it's a good mix of materials that strikes a good balance between the appearance of delicacy and that of strength.

To me, it's a good example of how big, academic ideas eventually trickle out into the larger local culture, forming a vernacular (the length of time they stick around serving as a testament to the value of the idea). Like how terra cotta companies in the early 20th C imitated Sullivan's ornament and it ended up on numerous quotidian commercial buildings throughout the city.

I don't know what's with that superfluous "halo" on the top, though; is this the Modern equivalent of the gable end with no roof behind it?

I also noticed the price point vis-à-vis the location -- seemingly a loud corner for $1.75MM and up. (I guess the floor plan is so large you can escape into its depths for some quiet time?) Heady times in the West Loop...
if the MLS is to be believed, 5 of the 13 are under contract with at least one of them at $3 million

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

UC is gearing up for two big projects on campus:

1. UC Medicine is planning a massive 600,000 gsf Cancer hospital in two phases (or maybe all of it will be built at once but only 50% of the interior space will be built out at first...? Not final information yet). I think it's for the massive NW lot on 57th and Drexel, but not yet confirmed.

2. I believe some others have mentioned the new PME building before, but it will be located at the SW corner of 56th and Ellis, and is planned to be about 15% larger than the newish Eckhardt building directly south of the site. Project will be complete by 2026.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2021, 7:59 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
UC is gearing up for two big projects on campus:

1. UC Medicine is planning a massive 600,000 gsf Cancer hospital in two phases (or maybe all of it will be built at once but only 50% of the interior space will be built out at first...? Not final information yet). I think it's for the massive NW lot on 57th and Drexel, but not yet confirmed.

2. I believe some others have mentioned the new PME building before, but it will be located at the SW corner of 56th and Ellis, and is planned to be about 15% larger than the newish Eckhardt building directly south of the site. Project will be complete by 2026.
goodbye Accelerator, you will be missed.

there go the views from ERC .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development