HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Post Office Redevelopment Tower [1] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Crains had photos of the completed rooftop from a recent article:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...e-rooftop-park
(sorry, always a paywall, just sharing link for reference)

The Sun-Times has an article too with even more images
https://chicago.suntimes.com/busines...-space-tenants

I love that they included an apiary! Gotta support the bees!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:32 PM

^ Never noticed the Chicago grid mural on the elevator shaft of 300 S Wacker. Hiding in plain sight for me.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:44 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Hmm, is this going to be visitable at OHC this year? If so, might be one of the first on my list...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
^ Never noticed the Chicago grid mural on the elevator shaft of 300 S Wacker. Hiding in plain sight for me.
Yes sir, and it was topic of conversation here in the General Developments when they were painting it. There's a red rectangle where the building is located. Essentially a 300' tall "you are here" map. Beats a big blank wall by a million.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 8:29 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Hmm, is this going to be visitable at OHC this year? If so, might be one of the first on my list...
I don't think so. OHC is all self-guided and virtual this year, they will have driving/walking tours but you won't be able to go into any buildings.

This rooftop is technically outdoors, but I don't think they would be able to bring crowds up the elevators safely.

I saw a presentation by some of the project team, they did hint that there might be a public bar/restaurant opening up here in the next few years. IIRC they have reserved space for such a restaurant, you can see portions of the roof are still just gravel.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:01 PM

OPO gets a new tenant

Codal Moves Its HQ to Old Post Office Building, Plans to Double Headcount

https://www.builtinchicago.org/2021/...-office-hiring

Quote:
On Monday, Codal announced that it will be moving its headquarters from 11 E. Hubbard Street in River North to 433 W. Van Buren Street — the address of Chicago’s historic Old Post Office building.

Codal says the move will give it access to approximately 17,000 additional square feet. It also gives the company access to some major corporate brands as neighbors, including PepsiCo, Uber and Walgreens.

Codal is expecting to complete the move some time this summer. And in order to fill out its new space, the company plans to go on a hiring spree. Codal says it plans to double its employee headcount, which currently sits at 50+ people. This hiring will take place over the next few years in order to help Codal meet growing customer demand. The company currently has over a dozen open Chicago-based job listings in roles across design, engineering, product and more.

Codal is a UX design firm that teams up with brands in order to help them perfect their online presence. This involves services like web and mobile development, e-commerce development, establishing a digital strategy, identifying emerging technology and website maintenance. Over 160 companies both large and small have partnered with Codal as customers.

Last edited by marothisu; Mar 24, 2021 at 11:33 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:22 AM
TL;DR

Good news on the new tenants, especially with Uber/Uber Freight scaling back.

OPO is almost done with their riverfront plaza as well, which will allow outdoor dining for the food hall. That should be a nice spot to grab lunch once it opens!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 5:52 PM

i thought i was looking at renders, my god what an amazing job they did!

Stay in the burbs but as soon as i get my shot i'm going to be down there every weekend...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 1:13 AM

New building permit was just issued yesterday for Uber to build out their office space here to the tune of $55M estimated cost.

Floor 8: South (partial)
Floor 9: South (full)
Floor 10: Southeast (full)
Floor 12: North (full)

Their lease is for around 460K sq ft, but they put up 150K sq ft for sublease. Still building out 310K sq ft which is still pretty large. Definitely large enough for a few thousand people. According to a Sun Times article in February, Uber hasn't really changed their plans for Chicago which still means they want to hire a few thousand people

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 9:47 PM

April 26

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 12:56 PM
BANNED

Gorgeous! Looks like a rendering

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 3:00 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

It is gorgeous. Still anticipating what the outside public areas near the riverwalk and off Clinton will look like though. As well as what the long-term plans for the annex on the south side will be.

I would think that signed leases have surpassed expectations, I would hope there is no reason to cheap out on those areas.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:04 PM

Looks like an airport in Sim City, but the shots I've seen from the actual rooftop are much nicer.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:09 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Looks like an airport in Sim City, but the shots I've seen from the actual rooftop are much nicer.
Business Commuters Clamour For Airport Glamour!

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 11:00 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
April 26

Awesome shot Harry!

When is that craptastic suburban Holiday Inn going to bite the dust? It's demise seems to get closer every year... that land is too valuable to be 80% parking lot/20% exurban-style motel...

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:12 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
It is gorgeous. Still anticipating what the outside public areas near the riverwalk and off Clinton will look like though. As well as what the long-term plans for the annex on the south side will be.

I would think that signed leases have surpassed expectations, I would hope there is no reason to cheap out on those areas.
The Canal St-side plaza will need to wait until the city rebuilds the crumbling viaduct it sits on. Every year they say it will happen but it keeps getting pushed back. I think there is TIF money allocated from the Rahm days to pay for the landscaping part of the project, but it will be controlled and managed by the owners of OPO.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 1:44 AM

Speaking of tech jobs downtown, one of my engineers just got poached by Milwaukee Tools. I asked if he was moving to WI, and he said they’re opening up a new office in the OPO. I don’t know how many employees. Another win. Had that been reported?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Speaking of tech jobs downtown, one of my engineers just got poached by Milwaukee Tools. I asked if he was moving to WI, and he said they’re opening up a new office in the OPO. I don’t know how many employees. Another win. Had that been reported?
I believe I read somewhere that Milwaukee Tool was opening some kind of engineering office here.

Also just bought a new impact driver and drill set from them last weekend and they are manufacturered in Mexico now instead of China. Big time win for their quality IMO and for the ongoing restoring of manufacturing chains to North America...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:02 AM

Has Chicago finally crossed the tipping point for attracting tech jobs? It feels like every week for the past 2 months there's been a relocation/branch announcement in Fulton Market/West Loop

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 10:43 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Has Chicago finally crossed the tipping point for attracting tech jobs? It feels like every week for the past 2 months there's been a relocation/branch announcement in Fulton Market/West Loop
What are you even talking about? Chicago has had a strong tech scene for decades. Comparing it to the Bay Area isn't really a reasonable comparison, but by almost any other measure Chicago more than holds its own when it comes to tech, and has for decades.
[/SIZE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development