HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 9:40 PM

Quote:
'It almost feels like 2019': S.F.'s first groundbreaking of COVID era a sign of a return to normal
J.K. Dineen
March 4, 2021
Updated: March 4, 2021 4:45 p.m.

Over the past year the ceremonial groundbreaking, where politicians and developers put on shiny hard hats and celebrate the city’s latest real estate milestone by flinging ceremonial dirt with ceremonial shovels, has vanished into the COVID abyss.

But on Thursday, in a sign that the city could be starting to return to some sense of normal, Mayor London Breed and other City Hall officials gathered on a construction site just south of Market Street in masks to mark the redevelopment of a quintessential San Francisco mega-development that has something for everyone: a new union hall for Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 38, 96 units of supportive housing for the formerly homeless, a park for the neighborhood and hundreds of market rate apartments that will sprout from a patchwork of surface parking lots.

The project will be made up of five buildings, which will total 595 housing units. The portion of the project being celebrated Thursday is 53 Colton St., the supportive housing for the formerly unhoused, which will open in 2023 . . . .

The development, which will take about three years to complete, broke ground in June, the only major project to start during the coronavirus era . . . .

Prior to speaking, the mayor and Supervisor Matt Haney lined up with the developers, which include Strada Investment Partners and Community Housing Partnership. They held silver-plated shovels with wooden handles. The shovels were engraved with “Groundbreaking Ceremony Local 38” and the date July 7, 2020 — when the original ceremony was planned.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/local/ar...t-16001550.php

Jerry will supply photos as it progresses I'm sure.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2021, 4:35 AM

03/24/2021 - I saw a lot of progress for this massive development. This view is from Colton Street looking toward Market Street. The building on the far side will be the new union hall & the old building will be demolshed. I look forward to seeing this when completed.
1601-1637 Market Street - view 1

Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 8:01 PM
heavy user of walkability

similar shot to Jerry's above, from this last weekend

I'm also really looking forward to seeing this project completed - I've always thought the small, almost intimate, scale of the internal alleys here create a sort of little oasis which I hope the open space will preserve or maybe enhance. this doesn't come through so much at the moment with all the construction disruption, but here are some shots to go along with Jerry's earlier ones

Colton is the one that parallels Market

and Brady is perpendicular, connecting Otis and Market

this is the southern-most parcel of the project, which I think is to be affordable. directly behind where the first pic above was taken from. (and with 30 Otis visible in the background)

back 'outside' on Market looking east

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 2:53 AM

4/15/2021 - timbad - glad to see you were in my neighborhood keeping up with the latest construction! I was by today & found a 5 foot hole in the plywood fence & stopped to get this nice view from Market Street! Photo taken with my CAT smart phone.

1601-1677 Market St. San Francisco

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post

this is the southern-most parcel of the project, which I think is to be affordable. directly behind where the first pic above was taken from. (and with 30 Otis visible in the background)

just came across this talking about that affordable component at 35 Colton

Quote:
project that will create 96 affordable and supportive efficiency studio apartments for formerly homeless adults, which is expected to be complete in 2022. All of the units will be reserved as part of the Coordinated Entry System that assesses, prioritizes and matches individuals experiencing homelessness with housing opportunities.

... the AFL-CIO Housing Investment Trust... launched a $1B initiative in September to fuel jobs and housing creation in the Bay Area in response to the economic downturn caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Over the next five years, the fund is geared to invest $500M in multifamily projects in the region. HIT will invest $19.1M in the 53 Colton project, one of the first to be funded by the initiative.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 12:10 AM

It's hard to get decent pics of what's going on here but I tried today. First, here's a diagram of the project from earlier in the thread:

This I believe is the "A" building:

The rebar for columns appears to be at around 2nd floor level.

This I believe is the "D" building--making progress but still mostly below ground:

And this I believe is part of the "C" building--most advanced of all--but I think there must be another section to come in what is the foreground of the picture (I was standing in Stevenson Alley taking the picture):

Last edited by Pedestrian; May 9, 2021 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's hard to get decent pics of what's going on here but I tried today. First, here's a diagram of the project from earlier in the thread:

And this I believe is part of the "C" building--most advanced of all--but I think there must be another section to come in what is the foreground of the picture (I was standing in Stevenson Alley taking the picture):

It is hard to tell by the renderings but it looks like there will be an extension to that corner of the Civic Center Hotel (the portion with the “11” on it on the project diagram). You can tell if you compare it to the current shape of the building on google maps.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:56 PM

Quote:
... here's a diagram of the project from earlier in the thread:

I was also by there this weekend, so can add some shots for context...

first, this is the affordable one at 53 Colton (at the bottom of the diagram):

this is looking NE from the corner of Brady and Colton, so through what will be the courtyard and at the 'A' building:

looking north down Brady, 'A' building on the right

same angle, but closer to Market St

looking SW from Market

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:44 AM
Wendy Tagaytay

Speaking of good architecture, there's an interesting San Franciscan-inspired development in the Philippines that's able to capture the vibe and structure with a Neo-Victorian feel.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 7:00 AM

^^They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so it's nice to be imitated but I have to say that at almost 2000 sq ft those houses are bigger than most San Franciscans enjoy.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 12:45 AM

the current view into Stevenson Alley from 12th St

and looking at the future central greenspace and building A, from Brady St

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 9:32 AM

the affordable one on Colton

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:32 AM

07/10/2021 - The new union building. The face looks like ceramic tile. It is a very busy design!!

Union Hall - San Francisco

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 5:50 AM

Are they renovating the Civic Center Hotel as part of this project? That vermin-infested dump with good bones cries to be upgraded.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:51 AM

Civic Center Hotel

Quote:
Are they renovating the Civic Center Hotel as part of this project? That vermin-infested dump with good bones cries to be upgraded.
Yes. The last I had read is that the low income tenants will be relocated to low income housing being built off Market St. The Civic Center Hotel will then be remodeled for market rate housing.

That corner has long been a blight with tons of trash on the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2021, 1:41 AM

Backside last weekend:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 2:24 AM

Old Posted Jul 31, 2021, 10:20 PM

The project from where I live:

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 6:20 AM

in a recent post I mentioned the feeling of intimacy the the narrow alleys in the middle of this block give off, and my hope that the new open space would help preserve that once this project is finished. I think never mind - it's becoming clear now that the open space looked bigger to me on 'paper' than it will actually be, and that the new buildings will loom over it in quite an un-intimate way.

looking down Brady

through the future open space to the NE

east along Colton, with the affordable one just visible on the right at the end of the alley

looking north from the farthest back SE corner, with the affordable building on the left

I think on the left is the BART ventilation thing they will disguise in the open space

Brady again, looking north toward Market

looking back the other way from Market

westernmost building on Market, Brady Alley on right

looking west-ish along Market

new union building with the to-be-renovated hotel, and 30 Otis in the background at the end of 12th St

Old Posted Aug 3, 2021, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
in a recent post I mentioned the feeling of intimacy the the narrow alleys in the middle of this block give off, and my hope that the new open space would help preserve that once this project is finished. I think never mind - it's becoming clear now that the open space looked bigger to me on 'paper' than it will actually be, and that the new buildings will loom over it in quite an un-intimate way.
From the drawings it looks to me that the open space is going to be just that: Pretty "open" and so the feeling of intimacy will be gone except the walkway between the "A" and "B" buildings and perhaps Brady St. It may remind a little bit of South Park in SOMA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development