HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 7:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraofnothingless View Post
it won't be long before malls make a comeback.
Mall never died.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 27, 2019 at 10:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:37 PM

Any early reports if patronage at the mall is exceeding, meeting, or failing to meet expectations?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:57 PM
West End & Riverside

I live in NYC and frankly didn't even know the thing had opened, haven't seen any advertising and only remember it from on here, years ago when it was called Xanadu. If they're expecting anyone from the city to come, they might want to let us know it exists.

Google just told me it has 33,000 parking spaces, holy crap!!! But I guess that's for the stadiums too.

I like the idea of indoor skiing, but I'm betting the reality isn't all that pleasant, especially when we aren't too far from some acceptable downhill slopes. Seems kind of weird they built that in an area that is hilly and gets snow, Dubai, I get it.

Has anybody been, let's hear your impressions...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 2:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Big SNOW Opens at American Dream, the First Real Snow Indoor Ski Resort in North America

Quote:
Fresh off the heels of American Dream’s phase one opening earlier this fall, the ambitious mega-mall recently opened phase three with their latest attraction, Big SNOW – the first and only indoor, real-snow, year-round ski and snow resort in North America.

Big SNOW welcomed its first guest on December 5th, offering indoor skiing, snowboarding, sledding, and other snow activities inside a fully enclosed 180,000 square feet structure featuring a 200-foot-wide 16-story high ski slope.

“Big SNOW is a game-changer for skiing and snowboarding in the United States,” Hugh Reynolds, vice president of marketing and sales for Snow Operating, said in a statement. “The unprecedented access to year-round snow combined with the center’s unrivaled location … will allow us to provide opportunities never before seen, and to move the needle on growing the sports in a big way.”

The interior temperature is held at a constant 28 degrees creating the ideal environment to make and maintain real snow indoors. The total skiable area is equal to roughly four acres. The slope features four ski lifts and has a capacity of 500. On the technical side, the facility has the capacity to produce real snow at a rate of 4.4 tons per hour.

Big SNOW is run by Montville-based SNOW Operating which operates a number of outdoor ski resorts across the US, Australia, and China.
====================='
Jersey Digs

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 7:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

SNA Displays Selected to Provide LED Technology for American Dream Project

Quote:
SNA Displays has been selected as the primary LED display provider for American Dream Meadowlands, the biggest mall in the United States and one of the largest indoor/outdoor retail and entertainment venues in the world.

Located in East Rutherford, New Jersey, American Dream will feature a number of attractions including more than 500 retail stores and restaurants, an ice-skating rink, DreamWorks Water Park, a large movie theater, Big SNOW America—first indoor ski slope in the U.S., an indoor climbing center, SEA LIFE® Aquarium, LEGOLAND® Discovery Center, and a Nickelodeon Universe® theme park.

The massive site is spread out over three million square feet, and some venues are already open for business.

SNA Displays will supply more than 40,000 square feet of LED display technology throughout the American Dream campus and will continue rolling out dozens of indoor and outdoor digital displays into the Spring of 2020.
=======================
TRD

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 5:14 PM
Walk taker

This project makes me sad every time I think about it...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2020, 10:59 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

As a resident of YEG, which of course invented the modern megamall with WEM who also own this project, I hope eventually this becomes an attraction of sorts even from a modern #latestagecapitalism perspective..

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 1:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
As a resident of YEG, which of course invented the modern megamall with WEM who also own this project, I hope eventually this becomes an attraction of sorts even from a modern #latestagecapitalism perspective..
The Mall itself won't be fully until sometime in the spring (so they say), but Big Snow, Nickelodeon them park is open. The waterpark was supposed to be open.

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 4, 2020, 1:00 PM

Just as it opens, COVID-19 delays the American Dream. This site is cursed.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 5:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I drove by the mall this morning. As empty as a Chernobyl village.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I drove by the mall this morning. As empty as a Chernobyl village.
I'm ashamed to admit that I literally spat out my drink when I read the second sentence.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:44 PM

Ouch. lol.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:08 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Partially Reopened American Dream Mall Awaits Full Completion In East Rutherford, New Jersey

Quote:
This Turkey Week, YIMBY is taking a look at some of the most prominent projects in the New York City area that have either started and stopped, or stalled altogether. We begin with the American Dream Mall, a project with a notoriously rocky history that is finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

Though still only partially realized, the American Dream Mall reopened last month after a nearly six-month-long temporary closure. Located at 1 American Dream Way in East Rutherford, New Jersey, the gargantuan 3.3-million-square-foot retail and entertainment destination is the second-largest shopping mall in the United States and is owned and operated by Triple Five Group, which also owns Minnesota’s Mall of America, the country’s largest-such facility. The project is designed by GH+A and Adamson Associates, and initially opened its doors to the public on October 25, 2019, some 15 years after the initial groundbreaking.

Below are several of the indoor renderings produced by Adamson Associates.

When construction began in 2004, the mall was originally called Xanadu Meadowlands. The project was owned by Mills Corporation until its bankruptcy in 2007. Colony Capital purchased the development in 2009, but by then, work had halted due to the compounding effects of the 2008 financial crisis and the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers. In 2013, Triple Five Group stepped in and gained control of the project, pushing it along over the past seven years.

Though shopping malls have significantly fallen out of favor compared to the time when the development began, the American Dream aims to overcome this with high-profile attractions to lure visitors across the Hudson River from the city. The most notable of these are Big Snow, the first indoor skiing facility in North America, and Nickelodeon Universe, a theme park with two indoor rollercoasters. Additional big draws for the complex will be the forthcoming DreamWorks Water Park, Sea Life Aquarium, and the Legoland Discovery Center.

An article from Forbes pointed out that recent foot traffic recorded by Placer.ai at American Dream has exceeded figures from January and February of this year, an encouraging sign for the beleaguered project. A recent in-person job fair featured 30 tenants seeking full-time, part-time, and seasonal workers, and the mall is planning to open a total of 300 stores.

It’s unclear when work will be fully complete on the American Dream.
==================
NYY

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 7:28 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 12:12 AM

Looks too fancy for the US. Looks like something out of Dubai or Kuwait.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
I'm waiting for the mall to die, but it's proven resilient as the high end stores are still open. Maybe they're just waiting for their leases to run out?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 4:29 AM

This place is packed. I took my son to the Nickelodeon theme park, and he had a blast.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
Is that supposed to be criticism or what? Also, no lol.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2022, 4:56 AM

Well, looks like I was wrong about this one. I thought no one would go.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2022, 7:03 PM

They only have 800 bucks in the bank? WTF?

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development