HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
i can take some, ill try to tomorrow.
gracias!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:29 PM

very cool to see all the progress downtown! thanks for updates, rancher dude. been a long time since i've seen so much (ever?) activity DT...tucson doesn't need (and probably won't get) a new tall to have a vibrant DT...this type of development is much better than a single stand-alone tall (although that would be nice!)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
this type of development is much better than a single stand-alone tall (although that would be nice!)
Thank you!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 10:53 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
gracias!
ill try to get another which shows the whole downtown, just need to find a good spot...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrivas View Post
when's the opening date for saint house?
Not sure yet. I'm thinking April at the earliest.

In other downtown restaurant news, I heard the other day that the structural engineer working with Reilly on their beer garden backed out unannounced which will set back that project a little while, although it looks like they are currently doing work. They're also in the process of renovating the apartments above the restaurant right now as well.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2013, 10:16 PM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
Not sure yet. I'm thinking April at the earliest.

In other downtown restaurant news, I heard the other day that the structural engineer working with Reilly on their beer garden backed out unannounced which will set back that project a little while, although it looks like they are currently doing work. They're also in the process of renovating the apartments above the restaurant right now as well.
those are apartments? i figured the 2nd floor was just an extra office or work space for the restaurant

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 5:04 AM

Quote:
those are apartments? i figured the 2nd floor was just an extra office or work space for the restaurant
Articles in the papers during renovations said there we (two if I recall) apartments in the works up above.

Sounds like a good way to put on some girth.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Definitely apartments. Only two, but it's a great mixed-use project.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2013, 11:39 PM

Rio Nuevo projects

Further clarifying their settlement with the city of Tucson over numerous legal and financial disputes, Rio Nuevo's website indicates that the majority of the $6.5M of bond funds now available will be spent on improvements to the TCC, and Board President Fletcher McCusker noted on Friday's Bill Buckmaster show that those improvements will be focused on the TCC arena.

Their website also states that Rio Nuevo will immediately invest in two hotel downtown projects (although no further details were given) and plans will be made for the commercial development of property immediately west of the Santa Cruz River (parcels originally planned as part of the Tucson Origins Heritage Park).

For further information and details of the 24-page agreement with the city: http://rionuevo-tucson.org/

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 3:25 PM

Here's the beginning of an article about the Ronstadt Transit Center downtown (and also the Painted Hills area). It's exciting to think they might have a mixed-use development on the Ronstadt property that still retains its use as a transit hub, though I wish they would not have spent the money to fix it up if they're just going to change it again.

City plan keeps major bus hub downtown
PARCEL HAD BEEN FOCUS OF POSSIBLE PROPERTY TRANSFER

Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

Supporters of the Ronstadt Transit Center can breathe a bit easier.

For months, city officials were negotiating a deal to cede the Ronstadt Center and up to two other downtown properties to the owners of a scenic 284-parcel in the Painted Hills as a way to block development there. The city would have then sold the Painted Hills parcel to Pima County for $3.6 million.

When word leaked about the discussions, bus riders and their advocates staged a rally to protest what they feared may have been a backroom deal to hand off a vital transit hub for commuters to monied interests.

Last Tuesday, the mayor and council allayed those fears when they directed the city staff to create a "development vision" for the transit center that will maintain it as a transit hub while allowing for some mixed-use development. Once the plans are complete, the city will put the project out to competitive bid.

The move essentially separates the Ronstadt Center from the discussions with the Dallas Police and Fire Employee Pension Fund, which owns the Painted Hills property, said Councilwoman Karin Uhlich, who drafted the motion.

"They may well be one of the interested respondents," Uhlich said. "But there are two parallel conversations going on in the community now" - one with the pension fund and the other on what to do with the Ronstadt Center.

She said the conversation on the transit center had been fruitless for too long.

Now's the time to redirect the discussion to include how to attract development that will make downtown more vibrant without compromising transit.

"Tucson's been stuck over a decade in this polarized dynamic ... with some folks saying we don't touch (Ronstadt) and others saying we do away with it completely," Uhlich said. "So it really is exciting to think how pedestrian and transit and other modes of transportation can come together in the downtown to create this mix of people and activities that make so many (other) downtowns great."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 5:45 PM

Candlewood business hotel to rise near River and La Cholla
by Gabriela Rico
Arizona Daily Star
February 11, 2013

Construction on a new Tucson hotel is set to begin within weeks on River Road near La Cholla. Candlewood Suites, a four-story, 89-room hotel, will cater to business travelers on extended visits to Tucson. All rooms feature kitchens with full-size appliances in suites of one to two bedrooms, said Jason Tharp, vice president of operations for the hotel's management company, Narven Enterprises Inc. A $6 million commercial permit for the hotel's construction was issued last month. "The goal is to open by the end of the year," Tharp said. "Guests typically stay anywhere from seven days to a month."

Candlewood does not have a restaurant on its premises, but "Candlewood Cupboard," stocked with sandwiches, drinks and sundries, is open 24 hours. The facility will have a laundry room that is free to guests and a heated pool and hot tub, Tharp said. There will also be a "lending locker" with items such as basketballs and blenders that guests can borrow. The library will be stocked with movies and books. The currently vacant land at 1995 W. River Road will soon have signs identifying the future hotel and contact information. "Tucson is a beautiful place and we like that market a lot," Tharp said. "We did a lot of research and found there was a real need for a hotel in that area."

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:01 PM

Aloft Hotel Video

Old Posted Feb 11, 2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
Here's the beginning of an article about the Ronstadt Transit Center downtown (and also the Painted Hills area). It's exciting to think they might have a mixed-use development on the Ronstadt property that still retains its use as a transit hub, though I wish they would not have spent the money to fix it up if they're just going to change it again.

City plan keeps major bus hub downtown
PARCEL HAD BEEN FOCUS OF POSSIBLE PROPERTY TRANSFER

Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

Supporters of the Ronstadt Transit Center can breathe a bit easier.

For months, city officials were negotiating a deal to cede the Ronstadt Center and up to two other downtown properties to the owners of a scenic 284-parcel in the Painted Hills as a way to block development there. The city would have then sold the Painted Hills parcel to Pima County for $3.6 million.

When word leaked about the discussions, bus riders and their advocates staged a rally to protest what they feared may have been a backroom deal to hand off a vital transit hub for commuters to monied interests.

Last Tuesday, the mayor and council allayed those fears when they directed the city staff to create a "development vision" for the transit center that will maintain it as a transit hub while allowing for some mixed-use development. Once the plans are complete, the city will put the project out to competitive bid.

The move essentially separates the Ronstadt Center from the discussions with the Dallas Police and Fire Employee Pension Fund, which owns the Painted Hills property, said Councilwoman Karin Uhlich, who drafted the motion.

"They may well be one of the interested respondents," Uhlich said. "But there are two parallel conversations going on in the community now" - one with the pension fund and the other on what to do with the Ronstadt Center.

She said the conversation on the transit center had been fruitless for too long.

Now's the time to redirect the discussion to include how to attract development that will make downtown more vibrant without compromising transit.

"Tucson's been stuck over a decade in this polarized dynamic ... with some folks saying we don't touch (Ronstadt) and others saying we do away with it completely," Uhlich said. "So it really is exciting to think how pedestrian and transit and other modes of transportation can come together in the downtown to create this mix of people and activities that make so many (other) downtowns great."
I'm excited to hear about the RFP process getting started immediately.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:17 AM
Tucsonan

yeah along 6th Ave it looks like theres lots of room to build something. but yeah wish they figured this out before remodeling

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 4:27 PM

If you look at the Level's webcam live stream...you'll see that they're clearing out the property for the Hub development.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
If you look at the Level's webcam live stream...you'll see that they're clearing out the property for the Hub development.
Wouldn't that be the Park Ave. apartments (also by Campus Acquisitions who are building the Level), the Hub would be the third tower in the area (though not built by CA)? Anyways, I was wondering if they were starting construction yet. Great news.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't that be the Park Ave. apartments (also by Campus Acquisitions who are building the Level), the Hub would be the third tower in the area (though not built by CA)? Anyways, I was wondering if they were starting construction yet. Great news.
It's the HUB. The HUB property is the ol' apartment complex right off of Tyndall, next to the gold-dome building. The Park Ave development is off of Park Ave, on the property where Dominoes Pizza used to be.

I've only driven by the Park Ave. property a couple of weeks ago. The building was vacant and it appeared gutted. I always look at the Level Webcam to see if they started demolition. It appears the property for the Hub may be cleared before the Park Ave. property. I thought it would be the other way around.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
It's the HUB. The HUB property is the ol' apartment complex right off of Tyndall, next to the gold-dome building. The Park Ave development is off of Park Ave, on the property where Dominoes Pizza used to be.

I've only driven by the Park Ave. property a couple of weeks ago. The building was vacant and it appeared gutted. I always look at the Level Webcam to see if they started demolition. It appears the property for the Hub may be cleared before the Park Ave. property. I thought it would be the other way around.
Yeah, that's what I assumed too. It's gonna be crazy, but cool, in a year-and-a-half when there's 3 mid-size buildings there.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I assumed too. It's gonna be crazy, but cool, in a year-and-a-half when there's 3 mid-size buildings there.
Actually, Emporis.com considers a building a skyscraper at 12 floors or more, so technically we would have three new skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleunick View Post
I would have to agree. Looking like the current version of the Pioneer is not a good thing. I truly thought the grey cement (which is under the recently completed white facade) looked much better than this finished product, especially looking south down 4th ave. I wish the design standards were more carefully thought out. Cadence to me just looks really 80s, and does not give visitors a good first impression of downtown coming in from the east. However I really love the Fors architecture renderings in the streetcar charrette. The potential developments all fit in nicely with the existing historic character while still looking modern. I especially like like the dairy queen rendering on 4th.
Maybe the owners of Cadence (and El Centro?) would allow painting murals on it's walls to make up for the 80's look. I like those changing murals at the Rialto. Hopefully, they will hire those same mural painters to paint some area in Cadence and El Centro.

Speaking of 4th ave., I believe there might be 2 bronze statues somewhere at the 4th ave underpass.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest