HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:40 PM
Plenary pleasures.

ChiArch blog has an interesting write up on Uniqlo finally coming to Chicago..and kinda sorta being combined into the Topshop on Michigan Ave. It looks...ummm...

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...chigan-avenue/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:55 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Well, it's better than Verizon.......

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 2:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^But, I..it's just..I dunno..I mean..why..

You're right.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:23 PM

That condo project on S Wells across from River City:

Building permit says commercial space on the ground floor. Maybe this project will be different than that render MrDowntown had a while back.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Via's comment's don't appear to be about the profit motive of the actual owner of the asset, though. It was more about the inefficiencies and externalities in an environmental, economic and social context.
Think a little bigger-picture.
You didn't really understand my comment at all. The point is that people often times don't give a shit about "oh but we already did this - it's going to be so inefficient to do it again" when doing that something again means a nice profit As inefficient and stupid as it is, they don't give a flying fuck about that when they're about to make a lot of money.

I've been in the situation many times. All they see is money, not how much time and energy they've wasted for everyone else.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:44 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Chinatown library grand opening is Saturday, Aug 29....and it turned out beautifully.

Chicago Public Building commission flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pbcchi...7646465168155/

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:52 PM

what a jewel

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You didn't really understand my comment at all. The point is that people often times don't give a shit about "oh but we already did this - it's going to be so inefficient to do it again" when doing that something again means a nice profit As inefficient and stupid as it is, they don't give a flying fuck about that when they're about to make a lot of money.

I've been in the situation many times. All they see is money, not how much time and energy they've wasted for everyone else.
i understand that humans do all sorts of irrational things in the pursuit of profit and wealth. hence the underlying sentiment of my original comment

fwiw i like the new proposal just fine. just wish it was going on one of the other countless vacant lots in this city as opposed to somewhere thats already been adequately developed in the very recent past

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Chinatown library grand opening is Saturday, Aug 29....and it turned out beautifully.
Very nice. They didn't use curved glass, right? Those "fins" or whatever are smart, then, because they remove that awful polyhedron effect, which, whenever I see it, makes me think that the developers couldn't spring for curved glass.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:05 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Very nice. They didn't use curved glass, right? Those "fins" or whatever are smart, then, because they remove that awful polyhedron effect, which, whenever I see it, makes me think that the developers couldn't spring for curved glass.
No the glass is not curved:

I think each pane is narrow enough to minimize that geometric effect, and like you said, the fins definitely help. Considering the client is the PBC, I also doubt they would have had the money for something as potentially pricey as curved glass.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
ChiArch blog has an interesting write up on Uniqlo finally coming to Chicago..and kinda sorta being combined into the Topshop on Michigan Ave. It looks...ummm...

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...chigan-avenue/
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Well, it's better than Verizon.......
Quote:
^But, I..it's just..I dunno..I mean..why..

You're right.
On the bright side, it looks like they're also redesigning the H&M. It looks like it's going to be significantly less offensive than what's there now. The Escada portion appears as though it will remain, clock tower and all. This block is going to end up a real pastiche. Michigan Avenue seems like it's becoming more and more like Times Square. There are no unifying design principles; everything is ad hoc.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:12 PM

Quote:
No the glass is not curved:

I think each pane is narrow enough to minimize that geometric effect, and like you said, the fins definitely help. Considering the client is the PBC, I also doubt they would have had the money for something as potentially pricey as curved glass.
Oh, for sure. That's why it's a clever touch. I mean, I don't think that's the primary reason they were used or anything, but I like the result.

Thanks for the awesome photos, by the way.

Last edited by sentinel; Aug 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Oh, for sure. That's why it's a clever touch. I mean, I don't think that's the primary reason they were used or anything, but I like the result.

Thanks for the awesome photos, by the way.
My pleasure; I really do like the fact that the PBC created individual flickr accounts for their projects, which makes it easier to see construction updates of their work.

The fins are what really sell the project - without them, it might still stand as an interesting building shape, but a little too minimalist/monochromatic..that's why I love both the effect and the color of those fins.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
On the bright side, it looks like they're also redesigning the H&M. It looks like it's going to be significantly less offensive than what's there now. The Escada portion appears as though it will remain, clock tower and all. This block is going to end up a real pastiche. Michigan Avenue seems like it's becoming more and more like Times Square. There are no unifying design principles; everything is ad hoc.
I think the H&M facade is almost done, and should be revealed any day now. After all, they have been working on it all summer, and the giant H&M graphics on the plywood scaffolding shield came down earlier this week. Should be a big change from the Limestone facade that was there. Are they expanding from 2 to 4 floors?

Uniqlo on the other hand, just took what was once a very unified department store design tied with the tower behind, that managed to maintain that unity when it was split into Borders and Feline's Basement (and even to a certain extent when Columbia and TopShop replaced Borders) and turned it into a complete mish-mash

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Photos and article from the British school ribbon cutting are on Crubed (thanks, weirdaaron)...good GOD. Talk about a schizo building design. Just terrible.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
If only SOM were picked more often for buildings in Chicago...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
If only SOM were picked more often for buildings in Chicago...
Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything about their proposal on Wabash and Superior?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 5:58 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^ I don't think anything's been seen since the initial design renderings came out a number of months ago..

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Photos and article from the British school ribbon cutting are on Crubed (thanks, weirdaaron)...good GOD. Talk about a schizo building design. Just terrible.
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...oop-campus.php

I took a lot more photos but it was all pretty well-trod territory. McCaffery made borderline racist jokes as usual and Solís said it was obviously a good idea to build this thing, and the development going on nearby has the school to thank. Working on arranging a photo tour of the interior.

I think there's going to be some kinda drama eventually about who exactly the park belongs to. All of the signage acts as if it's a Roosevelt Collection amenity. I did discover that there's a public elevator on the north face of the school, just to the left of the massive stairway, so I won't have to worry about climbing that mountain (54 steps) again to go see a movie unless it's on a dare.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...oop-campus.php

I think there's going to be some kinda drama eventually about who exactly the park belongs to. All of the signage acts as if it's a Roosevelt Collection amenity. I did discover that there's a public elevator on the north face of the school, just to the left of the massive stairway, so I won't have to worry about climbing that mountain (54 steps) again to go see a movie unless it's on a dare.
The park is definitely being made into 'Roosevelt Collection' territory. I've spotted them using the park for marketing/brand activation for retail tenants on two separate occasions, complete with big logo banners, people in store uniforms, etc. Of course, there's also the draconian rules that we've talked about here before.

This building is a complete atrocity. I've seen plenty of bad development rise in the South Loop in the last 15 years, but this has to take the cake. The good news is that I'm only 26, so I may yet live to see the day that it's demolished.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development