HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 11:27 AM
BANNED

This is a joke, why even bother dismantling it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:32 PM
The City

Yeah, it should be taller

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
So Dream hotels announced they are managing a Chicago hotel in 2014. That same day crains ran an article about a hotel development at 201 n Clark. That hotel would be ran by Hampshire..... Which owns dream.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/BL-DVB-22536

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...e-over-200-000
Interesting, has anyone else heard anything about this? I heard some interesting rumbles about Dream myself lately.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 1:35 PM

The fact that we ever removed the original wheel in the first place was a great travesty. That should have been a permanent part of Chicago just like the Eiffel Tower is for Paris. Worse yet we disassembled it and sent it to St. Louis, the place we reversed an entire river in order to send our sewage to. If they are going to replace that wheel, they should recreate the original, rivet for rivet.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:37 PM
You had me at herro...

I walk the Riverwalk from Michigan to LaSalle on my way to work now, love it. I have noticed though an increase in the number of homeless who are taking over benches and setting up camp sprawled/passed out as I walk to work.

Is there a rule or program to stop it from being taken over? There are a lot of prime "sleeping" benches along those new areas of riverwalk. I wouldn't want it to become normal for people to be sleeping on them all the time. It's not just the sleeping, it's just how sprawled out people can get, and then with dirty bags, random pieces of clothing, etc.

Not trying to hate on the homeless, obviously they're going through a lot of pain and hardship, but this clearly wasn't what the riverwalk was developed for.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The fact that we ever removed the original wheel in the first place was a great travesty. That should have been a permanent part of Chicago just like the Eiffel Tower is for Paris. Worse yet we disassembled it and sent it to St. Louis, the place we reversed an entire river in order to send our sewage to. If they are going to replace that wheel, they should recreate the original, rivet for rivet.
pretty sure that wouldn't meet today's 'safety standards'

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:42 PM

Very cool post about recent doings at the Deep Tunnel, tour of the Thornton Quarry. The scale is seriously mind boggling.

http://gapersblock.com/mechanics/201...ornton-quarry/

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I walk the Riverwalk from Michigan to LaSalle on my way to work now, love it. I have noticed though an increase in the number of homeless who are taking over benches and setting up camp sprawled/passed out as I walk to work.

Is there a rule or program to stop it from being taken over? There are a lot of prime "sleeping" benches along those new areas of riverwalk. I wouldn't want it to become normal for people to be sleeping on them all the time. It's not just the sleeping, it's just how sprawled out people can get, and then with dirty bags, random pieces of clothing, etc.

Not trying to hate on the homeless, obviously they're going through a lot of pain and hardship, but this clearly wasn't what the riverwalk was developed for.
push em into the water. helps the smell too.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Very cool post about recent doings at the Deep Tunnel, tour of the Thornton Quarry. The scale is seriously mind boggling.

this rules

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
Jeez...tough crowd.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 4:59 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post

Just don't forget to spit in the faces first of these miserable filth piles and tell them it's all because they didn't work hard enough, and were too stupid, and how you're ashamed to even be a member of the same species as them...........lest you let them off too easy.......

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:00 PM

Honestly though, they don't need to be invading the river walk, there are million other places downtown for them to camp out. Camp on Lower Wacker (better cover anyhow) and then panhandle on the river walk. Don't clutter it up with all your stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
pretty sure that wouldn't meet today's 'safety standards'
I'm willing to bet it would, though the cabs would probably not meet today's ADA and building standards. The funny thing about late 1800's engineering is the materials they are using were so new that they really didn't know exactly how strong it is like we do today. As a result the engineering math basically went "make a conservative guess of how much steel or rivets you need and then double or triple it anyhow". Consequently almost all the stuff we built back then was massively over-engineered which is how the "L", for example, is still in service after 120+ years of exposure to the elements. Seriously, go look at the really old sections of the Green Line sometime, almost every surface is covered in rivets because, well, they were making damn sure it wasn't going to fall apart.

I'm willing to bet Ferris was dead set on making sure the spokes, hub, and rim of his wheel wasn't going to fail. I remember reading the axel was the largest single piece of steel ever cast in history up until that point. The "L" has also survived through multiple periods of severe neglect not to mention salt spray carried onto it from freeway segments of the system and roads running beneath it. I am willing to bet that the Ferris Wheel would still be standing today if it hadn't been dismantled and moved to STL.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:09 PM
Urbane observer

Remember that St. Louis wasn't the next stop for the Ferris Wheel. After plans to move it to New York or London fell through, it first went to Clark & Wrightwood, where Charles Yerkes hoped it would enhance weekend ridership on his North Side streetcars. But the neighborhood NIMBYs voted his proposed beer garden dry, and after a few money-losing years he and his partners entertained an offer from the St. Louis entrepreneurs.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:58 PM

Jury awards Rezko creditor $23 million over South Loop deal
Alby Gallun - Crain's Chicago Business - June 23, 2015

Quote:
A federal jury awarded nearly $23 million to a creditor of Antoin “Tony” Rezko, ruling that the imprisoned power broker conspired with the European owner of a prime South Loop property to avoid a big debt payment.

The jury yesterday sided with Semir Sirazi, who took a secured interest in the parcel nine years ago as part of a debt restructuring deal with Rezko, who owned a stake in the 62-acre riverside site. But Sirazi didn't receive a penny a couple years later, when Rezko sold his stake to his partner in the property, Luxembourg-based General Mediterranean Holding.

In a 2010 lawsuit, Sirazi alleged that GMH helped structure the sale so Rezko could stiff him. After deliberating for about 2½ hours yesterday, the jurors agreed.

Rezko at one time planned 4,600 homes and a shopping center on the property on the east side of the Chicago River just south of Roosevelt Road. GMH has been in talks with Chicago-based developer Related Midwest to form a joint venture that would develop the property. The question now is what, if any, impact the verdict will have on any development deal.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...outh-loop-deal

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 8:40 PM

^^^ I'm sure any agreement they signed had a full section devoted to contingencies over this lawsuit. Any settlement will probably just come out of General Mediterranean's share of the partnership. It's not like Related has a cash shortage, $23 million isn't going to kill a deal this big.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Clark & Wrightwood...neighborhood NIMBYs
Yup, that sounds about right.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post

Nice find. Photos are awesome

I just cant wait for the Thornton Composite Reservoir to come on line soon

the largest such reservoir in the world 8 Billon Gallons is a lot.

"I like it a lot" Not I like you a lot but I like it a lot said in a Jim Carey voice from the first dumber and dumber movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH9t44iOiA4

Hell if that massive thing can hold 8 billion gallons imagine how much of a safe you would need for 8 Billion or more dollars owned by the 0.001%. The size of just this one quarry is incredible and there are even more in the pipline.

Anyhoo

Def worth clicking the link

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 12:44 AM

I heard that this morning the Humboldt Park factory that is right off the end of the 606 went on the market for 3 million

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrule View Post
push em into the water. Helps the smell too.
lmao!!!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:14 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Interesting, has anyone else heard anything about this? I heard some interesting rumbles about Dream myself lately.
Yes, at around the time that Crain's article came out there was this proposal which would include Dream, another hotel, and residential. Not sure what the latest is however....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development