HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yes, I really noticed once the loops were removed how the traffic on that stub of Seymour from Pacific to Drake was messing up flow off the bridge. There are still plenty of people who want to get from the bridge to westbound Pacific and they have to quickly cut over from the off-ramp to make a right onto Drake. That’s often blocked by people trying to get out of the Seymour stub. That’s one reason the city needs to make the south curb lane of Seymour from Drake to Helmcken a no parking zone. Unless there’s some fire lane requirement for the Seymour stub, get rid of it.
Clearly you haven't bothered to even look at the final design, or you're just complaining about temporary traffic impacts from construction.

Eigther way this is borderline trolling.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Clearly you haven't bothered to even look at the final design, or you're just complaining about temporary traffic impacts from construction.

Eigther way this is borderline trolling.
Yes, I am complaining about the temporary impact from construction. It would have been simple for the city to eliminate two blocks of meter parking to help ensure traffic can flow into downtown without backing up almost completely across the bridge.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
You do understand this is for construction and not the final configuration?
At best, I understand that the on/off circular ramps were being removed. What I did not know was a plan to remove the deck to Granville Street. Is it being replaced? And if so, why?

Honest questions.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
At best, I understand that the on/off circular ramps were being removed. What I did not know was a plan to remove the deck to Granville Street. Is it being replaced? And if so, why?

Honest questions.
You might have missed Maddog's post a few pages earlier, but what they're doing is (IIRC) rebuilding the north end of the bridge so that it becomes a roadway on solid earth. That way, when the newly cleared area on either side of the bridge is developed, they do not need to leave room to access the underside of the bridge for maintenance.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 7:58 PM

They're also making a new one way intersection right in the middle between Continental and Rolston. Is that section south of that new road to Pacific going to be elevated?

Is that neighbourhood energy utility (from back in 2018* under that area still a thing or has that been shelved?

https://viewpointvancouver.ca/2018/0...-bridge-ramps/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:06 AM

Quote:
. It would have been simple for the city to eliminate two blocks of meter parking to help ensure traffic can flow into downtown without backing up almost completely across the bridge.
Send a request to the City on its website.
They do respond to those types of things.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Send a request to the City on its website.
They do respond to those types of things.
Good idea. I was down at the Vancity Theatre today and the light were flashing red at Davie and Seymour to add insult to injury!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 6:06 AM

Granville bridge north city website project page says completion by "fall 2024".

I won't say that I will eat my hat if that actually happens, but I will be pretty surprised if it does... just my prediction.

Many parts to this project: bridge, new intersection with light, ramps up, new street network etc. For "completion" let's simply say being able to drive both ways again on Granville between Helmcken and the bridge.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Granville bridge north city website project page says completion by "fall 2024".

I won't say that I will eat my hat if that actually happens, but I will be pretty surprised if it does... just my prediction.

Many parts to this project: bridge, new intersection with light, ramps up, new street network etc. For "completion" let's simply say being able to drive both ways again on Granville between Helmcken and the bridge.
In a regular world that should be do-able, but I agree with the pace of typical projects that seems optimistic.

For those freaking out, this project has been well publicized for a long time.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
You might have missed Maddog's post a few pages earlier, but what they're doing is (IIRC) rebuilding the north end of the bridge so that it becomes a roadway on solid earth. That way, when the newly cleared area on either side of the bridge is developed, they do not need to leave room to access the underside of the bridge for maintenance.
I'm sorry, I must have missed that post.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:18 PM

Src: Final Documents: Council report PDF file at COV Website Granville Connector web page
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...connector.aspx

Granville Connector web page should have a link to the Granville loops plan, imho but what can ya do... It provides more detail on this specific part of the Granville connector project.

Last edited by Jimbo604; Mar 19, 2024 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:37 PM

Src: Google Street View https://maps.app.goo.gl/SSEB1XvyoLhCtZ11A

I think: Demolish bridge from Pacific to the red line, replace with ground based structure similar to that right of red line. New road on the yellow line that goes up to a new intersection at Granville street.

It makes more sense when you see the Granville loops plan:
https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/gran...olicy-plan.pdf

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
In a regular world that should be do-able, but I agree with the pace of typical projects that seems optimistic.

For those freaking out, this project has been well publicized for a long time.
I bet many people who don't live in Vancouver had no idea it was happening and only found out when they came downtown for a game or show.

Living in Vancouver I was aware of the project but not that they were going to demo a section of the bridge. Or that they would block the left turn lane of Seymour with a bus bulge at Davie.

Speaking of the bus, it is weird that they come down the Seymour off ramp in the right lane and then have to cut over in heavy traffic over to the left lane to turn onto Davie. Catenary issue?

Mid-day last week I saw a #14 going down Seymour near Nelson. It was in service so was the driver must have been confused about having to go down Granville. Why not just have the bus go down Seymour all the time instead of just weekends until the bridge is rebuilt?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I bet many people who don't live in Vancouver had no idea it was happening and only found out when they came downtown for a game or show.

Living in Vancouver I was aware of the project but not that they were going to demo a section of the bridge. Or that they would block the left turn lane of Seymour with a bus bulge at Davie.

Speaking of the bus, it is weird that they come down the Seymour off ramp in the right lane and then have to cut over in heavy traffic over to the left lane to turn onto Davie. Catenary issue?

Mid-day last week I saw a #14 going down Seymour near Nelson. It was in service so was the driver must have been confused about having to go down Granville. Why not just have the bus go down Seymour all the time instead of just weekends until the bridge is rebuilt?
This is the pain part of the project, for sure.

The gain part comes, hopefully soon, when this disaster dead-zone, under-utilized, etc. block is transformed.

I took a short cut through tunnel in above pic, super sketch!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
This is the pain part of the project, for sure.

The gain part comes, hopefully soon, when this disaster dead-zone, under-utilized, etc. block is transformed.

I took a short cut through tunnel in above pic, super sketch!
I'm curious what the grade on Neon Street from Granville to Rolston is going to be. Looks like it would be pretty steep unless the new bridge approach is somehow lower.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I'm curious what the grade on Neon Street from Granville to Rolston is going to be. Looks like it would be pretty steep unless the new bridge approach is somehow lower.
I was wondring that too (fun bike route!)
I think Granville St. will have a flat spot for the intersection, so it will be at the elevation on the right of the underpass.
At least the building on the right was built in anticipation with a solid concrete wall on the part that will be underground.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.27547...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 11:43 PM

The rezoning for 625-777 Pacific has renderings of the new road network. It's raised up not lowered..

Quote:
The portion of the Bridge between Neon and Pacific Streets is currently an elevated deck. In 2010 it was envisioned that this deck would remain in place after the Loops were removed. The current proposal is that it be replaced with an at-grade ramped roadway to Pacific Street. This strategy has two main advantages: a ramped roadway is more seismically sound and aligns with other seismic upgrades being undertaken on the bridge, and it eliminates the need to provide a service easement adjacent to an elevated structure. Such an easement would interfere with the connection of the proposed buildings fronting Granville Street, potentially affecting sidewalk placement and width. A ramped roadway also allows for a normal building street interface for this block where commercial-retail uses are anticipated.

The new streets provide one-way vehicular movements northbound on Continental Street and southbound on Rolston Street. These movements replicate the existing vehicular access to and from Pacific Street westbound, but traffic will be calmed considerably as motorists will have to negotiate three right turns at normal intersections. Rolston Street has an additional right-of-way width to allow for a two-way bike path, which will connect with east-west bike lanes at a new signalized intersection at Pacific Street. Vehicular access to the four development parcels is proposed via Continental and Rolston Streets for sub-areas B and C, and via Neon Street for sub-areas A and D. Residential lobbies will also be on located on these streets.
https://council.vancouver.ca/2022071...renderings.pdf

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/625-777-pacific-st

https://council.vancouver.ca/2022071...20220712ag.htm

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was wondring that too (fun bike route!)
I think Granville St. will have a flat spot for the intersection, so it will be at the elevation on the right of the underpass.
At least the building on the right was built in anticipation with a solid concrete wall on the part that will be underground.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.27547...8192?entry=ttu
Yeppers should be interesting here, a short block will make for a good grade of the road up to Granvillle on both sides.

South of here it won't matter as there will be a building that directly abuts the new Granville street. And it won't be a bridge until it reaches the north side of Pacific.

Also interesting is the new commercial retail facing onto (raised up) Granville street on both sides between Neon and Pacific. As well as new retail facing Pacific.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:35 PM

Src: Google Street View May 2023: https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZDd5aGiQy5YYfzNU6

Granville Street Bridge construction: What to know about detours, closures, timelines
Vancouver Sun, Mar 19, 2024
Learn more about the Granville Street Bridge connector project, including ways to get around detours, how long construction is expected to last and what the bridge will look like when work is done
Author of the article: Stephanie Ip
Url: https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...sures-timeline

Where bridge go?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:

Src: Final Documents: Council report PDF file at COV Website Granville Connector web page
https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...connector.aspx

Granville Connector web page should have a link to the Granville loops plan, imho but what can ya do... It provides more detail on this specific part of the Granville connector project.
If you look at the second image it is pretty disappointing to see that the sidewalks on the ramps don't seem to be widened as part of the project. They're barely adequate for two people passing now. Looking at the Seymour ramp it obvious the traffic lanes are overwidth already, so why not expand the sidealks into them? Not everyone wants to go down Granville.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure