HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 5:23 AM

Completion: November 2023. I'm guessing the elevator will have to wait until the Reaper invasion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbin View Post
I happened to walk over the Granville bridge for the first time a few weeks ago and the sidewalks are shockingly narrow. I'm surprised that there haven't been more pedestrian deaths from them falling into traffic.
The bridge itself is manageable, but you might have to step into the road a couple times on the ramps.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Completion: November 2023. I'm guessing the elevator will have to wait until the Reaper invasion?

The bridge itself is manageable, but you might have to step into the road a couple times on the ramps.
The best is the South side Fir Street ramp where you get dumped into the road with no crosswalk.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 7:42 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I'm guessing the elevator will have to wait until the Reaper invasion?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:54 PM
Peddling to progress

Granville Bridge's new pedestrian and cycling pathway and north loops demolition to proceed for $28 million

Quote:
It is presumed the municipal government merged both projects together for the benefits of economies of scale in terms of construction cost, and a reduced overall construction timeline and impacts to traffic. Construction could begin as early as before the end of 2022 or early 2023.

But there will still be major traffic disruptions, as City staff in their report to City Council this week note the full width of the bridge’s north approach will be closed for six months to allow for demolition works. Two lanes of traffic will be kept open at all times throughout construction on the main bridge span.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 7:20 PM

DailyHive Granville Bridge's new pedestrian and cycling pathway and north loops demolition to proceed for $28 million Kenneth Chan Oct 24 2022, 5:18 pm

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/gran...ition-contract

Old Posted May 7, 2023, 1:50 AM

Demo of the Granville Loops

Video Link

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:18 PM

They've started removing the concrete median on the Granville Bridge as well.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 11:29 PM

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They've started removing the concrete median on the Granville Bridge as well.
Traffic on the bridge was quite the mess today. I’m surprised they’re removing the centre median. Wasn’t the plan to close the two curb lanes? Surely they’ll still have a centre median.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Traffic on the bridge was quite the mess today. I’m surprised they’re removing the centre median. Wasn’t the plan to close the two curb lanes? Surely they’ll still have a centre median.
Here's how that works. No centre median. Three lanes of traffic each direction. The Two western traffic lanes become more pedestrian space and a two-direction bike lane. There's a concrete safety barrier to keep the cyclists safe from drivers, and another on the eastern side to keep the pedestrians on the eastern sidewalk safe. That mean the middle of the traffic lanes won't be where the median used to be.

"During construction, the bridge deck will shrink to two vehicle lanes travelling each way.

"It definitely will be slower and we expect some drivers will end up taking different routes, but we're not expecting significant congestion because of this," said Storer." [CBC]

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:56 AM

If they want to people to respect the 30km/h construction zone speed limit it might help to do enforcement for a few weeks to scare drivers into obeying it.

It'll look sort of like this.

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...ecommendations

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:00 AM

It has never been clear what this interim design is exactly, I assume it's 3+3 lanes over the bridge with jersey barriers separating bike lanes on the existing deck.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It has never been clear what this interim design is exactly, I assume it's 3+3 lanes over the bridge with jersey barriers separating bike lanes on the existing deck.
From the CBC link above (from February). I think they might need something better than a paint line between the extra pedestrian width and the bike lanes, but it might be OK. Ideally they would have added concrete to make the added pedestrian width at the same level as the existing sidewalk, but I assume that's where the budget cut bit.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:51 AM

Thanks

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Here's how that works. No centre median. Three lanes of traffic each direction. The Two western traffic lanes become more pedestrian space and a two-direction bike lane. There's a concrete safety barrier to keep the cyclists safe from drivers, and another on the eastern side to keep the pedestrians on the eastern sidewalk safe. That mean the middle of the traffic lanes won't be where the median used to be.

"During construction, the bridge deck will shrink to two vehicle lanes travelling each way.

"It definitely will be slower and we expect some drivers will end up taking different routes, but we're not expecting significant congestion because of this," said Storer." [CBC]
No Centre barrier is a bad idea. It doesn’t feel great on Burrard and that bridge doesn’t attract speeders the way Granville does. There will be bad accidents.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
No Centre barrier is a bad idea. It doesn’t feel great on Burrard and that bridge doesn’t attract speeders the way Granville does. There will be bad accidents.
There's never that many head on collisions on the Lions Gate Bridge.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:26 PM

Quote:
That'll be offset by the fact that all the idiots I see on dashcam videos who end up driving down the wrong side of the street be able to get back onto right side...

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 12:09 AM

Granville Loops Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Demolition began sometime last week.

Today, the East loop
Yesterday. That didn't take long, the East Loop is pretty much done.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 11:45 PM

Granville Loops Removal

Screen grab and gif from giallo's Vancouver House Post #2886 with a gracious written consent, thank you!

https://makeagif.com/i/tsP7-E

https://imgur.com/gallery/oS00KQ0

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 7:11 PM

Granville Bridge

Pic by me today pf Granville Bridge work:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure