HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 27, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
When Turkish applied for YVR, the requested 5x weekly and were granted three. OK. Seattle petitioned for TK following the example in Vancouver, and got them the following year.
Now Seattle has 7x weekly (daily, 7/7, that is) and YVR still has three. A question: will TK passengers who need a flight on a day not served out of Vancouver, bleed off to Seattle? Why is Transport Canada so seemingly tight about this, and other examples like it (Munich springs to mind, not to mention QR and EK. Yes, Seattle has a bigger metro, at 4.1m compared to our 2.6+m, and importantly, Seattle has a much larger economy with more business traffic. /// But I still would love to know how much traffic Seattle gains at the benefit of our Canadian regulations, which are often tight; bilateral aviation rules being no exception, and how much YVR loses because of them. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I would say the number is non-zero, but very much on the lower end.

My thought process being that the price of the non-stop is priced at a 'x' value. This is often higher than the multitude of connecting options on other carriers.

For the travelers that are not price-sensitive, and/or must fly a non-stop they'll only have the option to fly on the 3x flights and pay as such in the fare, and have to work-around that time limitation.

For the travelers that are price sensitive, the non-stop (YVR-IST) would be taken if price(non-stop)<price(connection). As they're price-sensitive, they'll have the option to take a connection on any of the competing airlines. The possibilities here are many with a one-stopper on a multitude of airlines. This is important because the SEA-IST TK flight would now be competing with the rest of the one-stop flights from other airlines. To the price-sensitive flyer, a connection in SEA onto TK would be no different than a connection (example: YYZ on AC or FRA on LH etc).

So essentially, the TK SEA-IST flight increases competition but it isn't exactly in direct competition with the YVR-IST flight persay. It is more akin to competing on any of the YVR-*Connecting Hub*-IST flights.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:49 AM

This last Sunday an AC 77W flying AC860 was struck by lightning just after takeoff.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
This last Sunday an AC 77W flying AC860 was struck by lightning just after takeoff.
I wonder what that feels like if you're inside the a/c?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I wonder what that feels like if you're inside the a/c?
I've heard that it's quite a shocking experience...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:31 PM

From CBC's report:

Quote:
Air Canada confirmed in a statement that a flight leaving YVR on Sunday had a lightning strike. The plane was inspected upon arriving at Heathrow Airport and has resumed service.

The airline said its planes are built to withstand lightning strikes and all aircraft are taken out of service to be checked by engineers after they're hit.
Interesting that they consider lightning strikes important enough to pull the plane out of service for inspection, yet they still fly the plane across a continent and an ocean first...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 5:20 AM

I was on a westjet flight Sunday night and we were struck by lightning as well, just a giant flash in the cabin and the flight attendants checking out the windows. We got struck flying over Langley.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
From CBC's report:

Interesting that they consider lightning strikes important enough to pull the plane out of service for inspection, yet they still fly the plane across a continent and an ocean first...
I don’t read that as them pulling the a/c from service but rather that they inspected it upon arrival at LHR.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I don’t read that as them pulling the a/c from service but rather that they inspected it upon arrival at LHR.
That was based on the news report, which stated "the airline said its planes are built to withstand lightning strikes and all aircraft are taken out of service to be checked by engineers after they're hit".

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:07 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Post Lufthansa Unveils Vancouver As First Destination For New Allegris Business Class

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
Cool news! Now if only LH were to fly YVR - MUC year-round ...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
"At this stage, the carrier has not given a concrete date in May for the debut, and it also hasn't revealed how many monthly flights the cabin will be found on. It also hasn't officially rolled out the new seat map on its booking platforms yet, advising passengers that they won't know if they're on an Allegris-equipped plane until shortly before departure."

I might wait for awhile!

Also interesting to see that the central pods are not as private as the window pods. I see privacy screens that close to the aisle but it's hard to tell if similar privacy screens are available between the central pods.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:15 AM
G'day

Excellent news about LH Allegris and MUC. I may actually use this on a round the world trip we are planning.

The first Zipair flight is on its way from NRT. ETA 0741 in YVR.

Korean increasing flights to ICN as well.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240313-kens24yvr

YVR-ICN increases to 9 weekly 20 May and 10 weekly from 6 July

KE071 ICN1845 – 1250YVR 789 D
KE8075 ICN2240 – 1645YVR 789 146

KE8076 YVR0100 – 0420+1ICN 789 25
KE072 YVR1440 – 1750+1ICN 789 D
KE8076 YVR1930 – 2250+1ICN 789 6

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Excellent news about LH Allegris and MUC. I may actually use this on a round the world trip we are planning.

The first Zipair flight is on its way from NRT. ETA 0741 in YVR.

Korean increasing flights to ICN as well.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240313-kens24yvr

YVR-ICN increases to 9 weekly 20 May and 10 weekly from 6 July

KE071 ICN1845 – 1250YVR 789 D
KE8075 ICN2240 – 1645YVR 789 146

KE8076 YVR0100 – 0420+1ICN 789 25
KE072 YVR1440 – 1750+1ICN 789 D
KE8076 YVR1930 – 2250+1ICN 789 6
So a downgrade from a 77W to 789 but upping frequencies. I wish they'd bring back the 748 but this is a welcome change. I do prefer the 789's cabin compared to the 77W (But I prefer the 748's cabin above all!). I've flown the 777-300ERs recently and it has an older cabin and older infotainment system definitely a bit more worn too.

As with ZipAir seems they are having an absolute success of a launch. Already sold out the first few months along with increasing frequencies before even starting. Even with non-rev benefits, I find myself pondering taking them instead of risking a standby ticket.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:27 PM

They've never flown their 748i here as far as I know, it was just the 744.

Their 789 actually only has 8 less seats than the 77W, so 10x789 is actually a big bump in capacity vs 7x77W.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
They've never flown their 748i here as far as I know, it was just the 744.

Their 789 actually only has 8 less seats than the 77W, so 10x789 is actually a big bump in capacity vs 7x77W.
They operated the 748s for a short stint during spring/summer 2016/2017. Definately not one offs since there are multiple pictures out there of their 748s in May, June, and September of those years.

Though I agree, lot more capacity and a better product overall going from the 77W to the 789.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:34 AM

Although the likelihood of VN starting a new route to YVR is slim, it is always nice to see us mentioned as a possible new destination for the carrier. In this recent article, the chairman of the carrier mentioned that they are planning on starting up new international routes this year. From the list of new destinations for the carrier, Vancouver was listed as one of the possible destination.

Quote:
The carrier's chairman Dang Ngoc Hoa said in January that it would open more international routes this year, with possible destinations being Milan, Copenhagen, Seattle and Vancouver.
https://e.vnexpress.net/news/busines...e-4721748.html

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:28 AM
G'day

A350 to be introduced by Edelweiss on YVR-ZRH next summer (2025) will continue to operate daily.

https://simpleflying.com/edelweiss-n...erated%20daily.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
A350 to be introduced by Edelweiss on YVR-ZRH next summer (2025) will continue to operate daily.

https://simpleflying.com/edelweiss-n...erated%20daily.
That's pretty cool.* It's just too bad that Vancouver is such a summer seasonal market for so many destinations. ZRH, MUC, DXB, SIN, DUB ...
One should not complain, I know, (though I can't help envying Westjet YYC-FCO, even if it is summer seasonal)
(Edelweiss is part of the Lufthansa Group, I believe, as are Swiss International Airlines, and several other airlines of significance). That facilitates things a little
(No major Oneworld or Skyteam to compete with there)

Vancouver is lucky to have even those, plus a number of year-round overseas destinations in Europe, S and E Asia, Oceania and an ever-densifying trans-border network.
Still more year-rounds would be great. Realistically, though, I am sure the city needs to be a larger size, with a larger and more diverse economy, with more wealth and more business traffic.

As a point of comparison, Portland Oregon has a metro population very close to Vancouver at around 2.7m, has a larger urban GDP, yet offers markedly fewer options for overseas travel than either YVR or SEA. As Seattle gradually grows into a "Dallas of the PNW"), there are bound to be more airlines, greater frequencies, and more year round destinations than has YVR. This seems normal, given where the three major Cascadia (counting PDX) are "at."

And, as is oft quoted here, "YVR punches well above its weight."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
That's pretty cool.* It's just too bad that Vancouver is such a summer seasonal market for so many destinations. ZRH, MUC, DXB, SIN, DUB ...
SIN is year-round. In fact, it's increasing to 5x weekly for W24.

Initial plan for AC W24 schedule (midnight departures only)
Oct-Nov: SYD 7, BNE 7, HKG 3, SIN 4, DXB 4, BKK 3 (8 planes, 4 daily departures)
Dec-Jan: SYD 10, BNE 7, HKG 3, SIN 5, DXB 4, BKK 5, AKL 4 (11 planes, 5.5 daily departures)
Jan-Mar: SYD 7, BNE 7, HKG 3, SIN 5, DXB 4, BKK 5, AKL 4 (10 planes, 5 daily departures)

So BKK now have the early start of the season instead of AKL, but will no longer operate daily later in the season. Overall is 2-5x weekly increase for the entire season.

Currently this leaves no room for any new ULH destination (MEL, SGN, MNL, DEL, etc), but who knows, maybe AC will add 2 new planes for an extra rotation later in the season (they can always throw any excess frequency to HKG). But then I think AC may run out of transcon routes to use the planes after early morning arrival at YVR? Max of 2 to YYZ, 2 to YUL, 1 to EWR, maybe 1 to YOW in summer and 1 to CUN in winter... where else can they go?

And before anyone mention YHZ and IAD... the following routes being cut back to summer seasonal:
YVR-YHZ/IAD/YQB

I guess they really need to base some 220 here...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2024, 8:43 AM
G'day

^ no kidding the A220 would give so many opportunities.

JetBlue is going to be running an A220 and a 320 this summer (daily to JFK and BOS)

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240327-b6may24jfkyvr

And LH extending the 744 until end of October after the summer peak… who knows how much longer one of the last 744 operators continues to fly this route.

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240327-lhoct24yvr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure