HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 8, 2023, 6:08 PM

They should stick giant numbers of the side of Evo cars like taxis so you can quickly report someone.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
If not EVO, what would you rather?
none, im against car share. period. it allows too many non-drivers to drive a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
If I had a dollar for every EVO I've seen on the road without headlights on when it's dark outside, I'd be paying a lot more taxes.
this always baffles me. how can you be so oblivious? and then theyre driving. ugh. theyre just such menaces on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They should stick giant numbers of the side of Evo cars like taxis so you can quickly report someone.
not a bad idea. i assume you could report a license plate # to the company. though i doubt theyd care as long as the people are paying their membership fees.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:42 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I wasn't aware you could even get cars anymore where you can keep the headlights off. Most modern fleet vehicles are programmed to keep the headlights on as long as the engine is running.
Daytime Running Lamps have been mandatory in Canada since the 90's at least.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
I wasn't aware you could even get cars anymore where you can keep the headlights off. Most modern fleet vehicles are programmed to keep the headlights on as long as the engine is running.
Daytime Running Lamps have been mandatory in Canada since the 90's at least.
Daytime Running Lamps are not nighttime headlights. They're lower power, and the rear taillights do not turn on. The newer EVO Prius cars have auto headlights that turn on when dark.. but this can be turned off (a lot of people don't understand how it works and turn the lights to off).

Ron.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
Daytime Running Lamps are not nighttime headlights. They're lower power, and the rear taillights do not turn on. The newer EVO Prius cars have auto headlights that turn on when dark.. but this can be turned off (a lot of people don't understand how it works and turn the lights to off).

Ron.
They recently updated the law as well

Quote:
As of September 2021 the Canadian Vehicle Lighting Regulation will require that all new vehicles sold in Canada have one of the following:

- tail lights that come on automatically with daytime running lights
- headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that turn on automatically in the dark
- a dashboard that stays dark to alert the driver to turn on the lights
https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transpo...ts-see-be-seen

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 4:40 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
none, im against car share. period. it allows too many non-drivers to drive a car.
I know a lot of people who own their own vehicles and also have an Evo membership. It is a very convenient solution when you want to take one-way trips. E.g., if your car is in the shop and you need to drive and pick it up, car share allows you to not use rideshare or bug a friend or family member for a ride.

I also know many, many people who owned a vehicle a year or two ago (This includes myself, a colleague, and one of my best friends. As an aside, we all grew up driving in the snow and can handle ourselves better than almost any Vancouver native during inclement weather.) but decided to sell it. Not only is this a more affordable choice for many people, but it also benefits society because fewer underutilized vehicles are parked on the street taking up valuable real estate. I am sure my neighbours who own vehicles are glad my Subaru isn't taking up a spot across the street from our apartment, when I only drove once every week or two.

Your gripe is not against car share, even if you don't realize it. Instead, you should be scape goating the drivers license system. Testing someone when they are 16 and never again subjecting them to a road test is crazy. Driving a vehicle is one of the most dangerous activities widely engaged in, yet we act like it's a god-given right to drive a vehicle once you turn a certain age akin to voting or buying alcohol. Drivers should likely be tested for proficiency every 5-10 years (this would cost a lot of money and be a logistical nightmare, but I think it would be worth it in lives saved and property damage avoided). These tests would serve as convenient reminders to drivers that, yes, they do indeed need to come to a full stop behind the stop line, signal and shoulder check when they turn, and not drive in bus lanes. We should also stop recognizing drivers licenses from other jurisdictions without providing any education or testing them, considering how much signage and motor vehicles vary across provinces, let along across international borders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post

Ron.
Many people are so used to automatic headlights that they don't bother to check if the lights are on. And if the street lights are bright enough, it's possible to not notice your headlights are turned off.

This isn't just a problem with Evos. People renting cars or borrowing one from a friend or family member also often fail to recognize when their headlights aren't on, maybe because they are used to the automatic headlights on their personal vehicle?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
....Many people are so used to automatic headlights that they don't bother to check if the lights are on. And if the street lights are bright enough, it's possible to not notice your headlights are turned off.

This isn't just a problem with Evos. People renting cars or borrowing one from a friend or family member also often fail to recognize when their headlights aren't on, maybe because they are used to the automatic headlights on their personal vehicle?
Yes, there have been many times when I've been driving along darker roads or highways and come up on what are effectively "ghost" cars running only with the forward-facing DRL active. Sometimes you can get their attention by turning your own lights off and on behind them, but as often as not they continue on blithely unaware of the problem. If the new regulations require the dashboard to be dark when the lights are off, that may well help.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
Insurance will sort that problem out. So far it doesn't appear to be one.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Your gripe is not against car share, even if you don't realize it. Instead, you should be scape goating the drivers license system. Testing someone when they are 16 and never again subjecting them to a road test is crazy. Driving a vehicle is one of the most dangerous activities widely engaged in, yet we act like it's a god-given right to drive a vehicle once you turn a certain age akin to voting or buying alcohol. Drivers should likely be tested for proficiency every 5-10 years (this would cost a lot of money and be a logistical nightmare, but I think it would be worth it in lives saved and property damage avoided). These tests would serve as convenient reminders to drivers that, yes, they do indeed need to come to a full stop behind the stop line, signal and shoulder check when they turn, and not drive in bus lanes. We should also stop recognizing drivers licenses from other jurisdictions without providing any education or testing them, considering how much signage and motor vehicles vary across provinces, let along across international borders.

Many people are so used to automatic headlights that they don't bother to check if the lights are on. And if the street lights are bright enough, it's possible to not notice your headlights are turned off.

Yeah, there are a lot of non-carshare cars on the road whose drivers suffer from the same problems, but they don't get noticed because they're all different cars. It's easy to scapegoat Evo because they're identifiable, but the grey Honda Civic that doesn't have its lights on just goes into an anonymous bin. Drive around in Langley at night (where there's no Evo) and you'll see just as many people driving with only running lights as you do in Vancouver (where there is Evo).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
We should also stop recognizing drivers licenses from other jurisdictions without providing any education or testing them, considering how much signage and motor vehicles vary across provinces, let along across international borders.
I had a clean driving record from Alberta since I got it at 16 (used to drive almost every day from 17-26) and applied for a BC license a few years ago and it was so dumb. They gave me the answer to 2 questions they asked - one was on the flashing green light. I think I should have been considered an 'N" driver here but the way Alberta licenses are done up I was granted a full BC license. It was dumb and it was glorious.

Probably drive an EVO once a week as if I owned my own car. I save so much money using EVO instead.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure