HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:29 AM

Quote:
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree about what constitutes a master architect, but the architecture school at UC Berkeley is named after the principal architect of Capitol Towers, so that's something. Yes, the design is simple and minimalist, but that's one of the hallmarks of mid-century modern architecture.
I suppose you're right. To each his own.

Honestly, I couldn't care less about the namesake of Cal's architecture school. Never even heard of him. I saw a picture of the "dream team" on the Sac Mod website, they look like extras on the set of Mad Men.

Crapitol Towers won awards? OK. So? Of course it did. Heck, it's an island unto itself! I'll bet a downtown development that feels like it isn't in a downtown won plenty of awards during the sterile, suburban-oriented mid-century. Based on the spirit of the time, Crapitol Towers should have every single award known to man. How did they take a 4 block portion of downtown and make it feel completely cut off and foreign to the rest of the central city? That is the single greatest achievement known to man. Downtown Plaza, eat your heart out.

I'm an "urban hiker". I walked Sacramento for a good year or two before I knew there was anything worth seeing within the super block. (This was before the days of easily accessible satellite images.) I didn't even know I could go in there. When I finally did so, I'd regularly get hassled by garden unit dwellers when I dared to take pictures within their community. I think a new development that not only brings increased housing density, but adds retail, entertainment, visible life, and traffic flow to an eerily quiet area smack dab in the middle of downtown is just what the doctor ordered.

Quote:
The idea that this was a "flip" wasn't my idea, it was put forth by David Nybo of the Planning Commission when the plan was reviewed there. But KW has made it clear that they are not a developer and the renderings they show are just theoretical examples--they are not designing the buildings and won't be building them, just preparing a PUD for some future developer to build from. Maybe, someday.
I never said it was your idea. However, you are the only one in this forum to suggest it. I simply wanted to clarify exactly what you were saying. I think we both can agree that a hole in the ground for years to come is bad news. Surely, there are other options to employ instead of forcing preservation, which could make future development difficult. If the planning commission or the city council suspect Scrapramento Commons (see what I did there?) isn't a credible proposal, then either body can vote NO. But cramming a historical designation down the throat of a property owner who doesn't want it is the kind of "nuclear option" stuff that ticks people off in a supposed free country.

Quote:
16 Powerhouse demolished a small, nondescript former motel that not even the most ardent preservationist would put up a fight to defend. It was demolished for a particular plan to build that was followed through on a tight timetable, by a developer who builds buildings, not a speculator hoping to increase the value of the lot on paper through zoning.
16 Powerhouse has more density than the former building (frankly, I think the former building was an excellent example of a mid-century motel ). The entitlements sought by Kennedy Wilson also have more density...much, much more density. That whole paragraph was in response to your "key point" that the best way to repopulate downtown is to direct development to properties that don't already have residents. I can't speak about what is "best" since I operate on different standards than you. However, a development that adds more housing units to a given area will likely add more population and increase density (so long as those housing units are filled). So if your goal is 58,000 residents, wouldn't more density help? I think so. Would it be "better" if that development were across the street on a vacant parcel? Maybe, but Kennedy Wilson doesn't own that other parcel...it owns Crapitol Towers. You use "speculator" as a pejorative. It's not. What's wrong with speculation? It isn't just a crap shoot. There is some due diligence that goes into the whole process.

Come on wburg, you just want control. Well, you CAN have it. Really. Find some investors, become a developer, actually purchase a property and do a major rehab or new construction or both. Be the change. Stop getting way and start leading the way. Freedom is hard, but it has great results for the patient.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:30 PM
Hindrance to Development

I do purchase properties to rehab, snefnoc. I just live in them while I'm doing the rehab.

Not sure how I have control of this process...this wasn't my doing, the folks at SacMod, who are the big local advocates for mid-century preservation, drove this process.

Sounds like the basis of your argument is "I just don't care about architecture or preservation" and there isn't much arguing with that. But population density isn't just a numbers game, where "more people is better than fewer people" is a constant, universal rule--if you're interpreting that from my other writings, sorry, you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. You wouldn't be the first to do so.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:55 PM

I personally hate the super block aspect of Capitol Towers. Always have. I don't think that aspect of it should be preserved I think O and 6th street should be restored.

Of course the people who live there like it, otherwise they wouldn't live there.

I'd love to live to see the day when the monstrosity of Governor's Square is demolished and a tradition street grid with street fronting retail put in.

It's going to be hard to revitalize Downtown when basically everything from N to S, 3rd to 13th is left for dead.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ozo View Post
I personally hate the super block aspect of Capitol Towers. Always have. I don't think that aspect of it should be preserved I think O and 6th street should be restored.

Of course the people who live there like it, otherwise they wouldn't live there.

I'd love to live to see the day when the monstrosity of Governor's Square is demolished and a tradition street grid with street fronting retail put in.

It's going to be hard to revitalize Downtown when basically everything from N to S, 3rd to 13th is left for dead.
And what's up with that underground landscraper on 7th and O streets. Who the hell decided to build a office bunker?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
And what's up with that underground landscraper on 7th and O streets. Who the hell decided to build a office bunker?
Jerry Brown! The first time around in the 70's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeg1985 View Post
The Park Moderns is a stunning project. Really surprised to see something like that in West Sacramento. Anyone seen the interiors of these?
I actually bought one. Fulcrum is really building these top notch. There were only a handful of options/upgrades available mostly consisting of upgraded appliances. Just about everything else (fixtures, floors, etc) is already top of the line.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 12:04 AM

Oh nice! You should post some pictures of the interior if you ever get a chance.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 5:52 PM

Quote:

I think O is planned to be restored actually, not as a full street but as a pedestrian through-fare at least. Nothing on the block is "historic" by any stretch of the imagination haha. I hope the preservationists don't stop it, it would be great to actually get some people in that part of Sacramento instead of some 1-2 story buildings.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 5:02 AM
Here we stAy

Quote:

Well reconnecting the grid is a priority for the city, at least in policy. Hope it continues to be in practice.

Speaking more directly to the Capitol Towers site, I too would like to see the full street ROW restored, though sadly it doesn't appear to be happening with the plan from last year. Should be interesting to see what KW brings back to the Planning and Design Commission after all of these new happenings since the last meeting.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:41 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Going to be a whole new downtown next year. Kings hope to finish the shipping container hotel next year and the Hyatt place will be done next year as well. (Although I think it seriously needs more height)

700K is going to be huge and the whole area is going to be completely different. What do the Kings plan to do with lot X? Observational tower as sactown mag suggests? Hmm...

Now if we can get some condos downtown, things would be great. Either metropolitan or Epic.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Going to be a whole new downtown next year. Kings hope to finish the shipping container hotel next year and the Hyatt place will be done next year as well. (Although I think it seriously needs more height)

700K is going to be huge and the whole area is going to be completely different. What do the Kings plan to do with lot X? Observational tower as sactown mag suggests? Hmm...

Now if we can get some condos downtown, things would be great. Either metropolitan or Epic.
What is Lot X?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 8:43 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanadvocate View Post
What is Lot X?
It is the small triangle lot at Capitol Mall and 3rd

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:25 AM

Quote:
It is the small triangle lot at Capitol Mall and 3rd
part of the deal, free billboards and free land in a few places.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:59 AM

Quote:

Apartment vacancies have fallen dramatically during Q4 of 2014. We should be seeing a ramp-up of new proposals coming around Q2 of this year.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folks3000 View Post
Apartment vacancies have fallen dramatically during Q4 of 2014. We should be seeing a ramp-up of new proposals coming around Q2 of this year.
I just saw an article on this. 96% occupancy in the Sacramento Metro area!!! There aren't too many major apartment/housing projects going right now to lessen this. So, builders are going to be chomping at the bit in Sacramento come Spring/Summer (hopefully!)!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 4:53 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
BREAKING: Joined by @49ers CEO @JedYork, @KJ_MayorJohnson announces @49ers will be investors in @SacRepublicFC. Boosts #Sacramento @MLS bid
Looking good for MLS!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:11 PM

Thumbs up Sacramento 3.0

Mayor Johnson: Sac 3.0 will see downtown bloom again

Quote:
Mayor Kevin Johnson, entering his seventh year in office, threw a hip-hop party Thursday night at Memorial Auditorium and squeezed in a State of the City speech as well, offering a road map of his 2015 agenda.

Top topics included body cameras for police, a potential local minimum wage, and a push to build 10,000 new housing units in downtown over the next decade.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/art...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:18 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Hopefully the 10K new units means OWNERSHIP. Because that's what is needed

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Hopefully the 10K new units means OWNERSHIP. Because that's what is needed
True, but even if 80% of the new units were rental we would be in much better shape than we were in the suburban expansion decade circa 1998 to 2008.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 9:01 PM
Hindrance to Development

I think you mean the suburban expansion century, 1910 through 2015, with more to come--there are 300,000 new units of suburban housing planned for the Sacramento metro area.

Glad to see KJ actively pushing for more housing downtown--the key, of course, is building new housing without displacing existing residents, which could even result in a loss of central city housing (as we saw 1990-2010.) And yes, as much as possible should be ownership housing; the central city's current ownership rate is 10%, a mere 2000 units of 20,000 housing units (as of 2010) so even if all of that 10,000 was ownership, it would push the rate to about 35%, a bit more than half the ownership rate of the city of Sacramento and the Sacramento region. Even a 20% ownership rate would make a huge difference.

Of course, to fit in those 10,000 units, some of the Downtown Partnership folks are going to have to give up their dreams of higher lease per square foot from office tenants and start retrofitting for housing!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area