HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
haha that is hilarious Well, glad that you didn't do it!
Uuuughhhh, what a nightmare that would have been! Nice guns!! Lol

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 11:12 PM
ARTchitecture

Thanks yeah... I've heard it's proving to be quite the crap-shoot for any one that invested in Capital Pointe at all. :S Scary.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
February 26, 2013

This project is quickly catching up to Centre Square Place.
I'd say it has done more than catch up, it is now ahead, working on floor eleven while center square works on 10!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
I'd say it has done more than catch up, it is now ahead, working on floor eleven while center square works on 10!
True...but to be fair, Centre Square Place does have a few levels of underground parking while Gardens on Rose is all above grade.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:57 PM

Does anyone have any theories on why there is a pretty significant amount of condo tower development in Regina close or in downtown core, yet Saskatoon, with a higher actual number and percent of pop growth has nothing?? Is it because of developers in Regina willing to take a risk, municipal incentives, government city, ???? Thanks.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Does anyone have any theories on why there is a pretty significant amount of condo tower development in Regina close or in downtown core, yet Saskatoon, with a higher actual number and percent of pop growth has nothing?? Is it because of developers in Regina willing to take a risk, municipal incentives, government city, ???? Thanks.
Good question, I've wondered that myself seems a lot has/is happening in Regina and really not much is happening in Saskatoon (aside from the hideous new downtown hotel)

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
1) Saskatoon already has a huge lead in condo stock downtown or near the downtown. They must have 2x as many high rise condos.

2) Apartment vacancy in Saskatoon is around 3% while Regina's is less than 1%.

3) Much of Saskatoon's growth is in industrial/commercial/trade growth that is located in the north industrial park. Living downtown would not be practical. Regina has probably a lot more downtown workers based on the crown head offices and now Mosaic.

Just my thoughts

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 9:56 PM

Quote:
While the two condos being built downtown have a physical presence in the sense that you can see them from more than 4 blocks away - the actual number of condo units being built downtown relative to the burbs is ... miniscule.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 11:59 PM

Floor for what will be the 7th living surface poured today (not sure what the actual floor number is in SSP terms given the parkade underneath)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:51 PM

`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 24, 2013 at 6:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Is there room on that city block for another tower
Yes, there is a large surface parking lot on that block south of Gardens on Rose. A developer could easily fit in two more buildings of the same width.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a large surface parking lot on that block south of Gardens on Rose. A developer could easily fit in two more buildings of the same width.
That could clear the way for possible new towers , no buildings to demolish , no underground vaults to move three in a row one never knows

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 9:49 PM

Quote:
The downtown plan's mandate for a minimum 20m tower separation would limit you to one tower on the remaining property south of the Garden's on Rose I believe.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 10:47 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoR East View Post
The downtown plan's mandate for a minimum 20m tower separation would limit you to one tower on the remaining property south of the Garden's on Rose I believe.
Isn't it 10m separation? Which would allow buildings on the corners of the streets. 20 seems excessive (but you could very well be right).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
There has to be ways around that, because Hill Tower 3 is less than 20 metres from Hill Tower 1 and FCC 2 will be less than 20 metres from FCC 1.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 11:25 PM
Regina SK

Quote:
What constitutes a tower? How many floors? I feel like there shouldn't be a regulation for how close the buildings are, as long as they are safe.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
What constitutes a tower? How many floors? I feel like there shouldn't be a regulation for how close the buildings are, as long as they are safe.
I'm of the opinion that there needs to be some mandatory distance between tall structures to allow for safe demolition, but I don't know enough to say what it should be.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Anything above the podium level of the building (typically two to three commercial floors or three to four residential floors ). It is true that we have some new buildings that are closer to their neighbours than 20m but the examples are all office use to office use and they are all exceptions to the rule. The city is extremely unlikely to approve a residential use within 20 m of any other use including other residential because of privacy concerns.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 4:30 AM
Regina SK

Quote:
Anything above the podium level of the building (typically two to three commercial floors or three to four residential floors ). It is true that we have some new buildings that are closer to their neighbours than 20m but the examples are all office use to office use and they are all exceptions to the rule. The city is extremely unlikely to approve a residential use within 20 m of any other use including other residential because of privacy concerns.
I have this dream(I do this a lot) of super dense residential reminiscent of apartment blocks in early east coast US cities.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I'm of the opinion that there needs to be some mandatory distance between tall structures to allow for safe demolition, but I don't know enough to say what it should be.
Correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the tower of Capital Pointe supposed to abut the North Canadian Oils Building tower next door (east side)? There isn't enough space to allow for a 20m separation, let alone 10m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan