HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A325 View Post
It is still at the design stage. Construction should start at the end of the Summer or early Fall.
Nice to see companies actually doidn construction through winter.. really sucked when like 5 months out of the year were dead for construction

Old Posted Jul 9, 2012, 2:41 AM

Is there any news at all on this development? I have not heard anything in quite a while.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 12:16 AM

Nothing happening at the site as of right now. Really hoping that they get started sometime before the construction season ends though, I really like this building

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Nothing happening at the site as of right now. Really hoping that they get started sometime before the construction season ends though, I really like this building
A325 posted a little over a month ago that the development was still in design stage and construction should start late summer/early fall. I'd say we'll be hearing about this development in the not too distant future.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2012, 7:29 PM

There is now a sign up for the Deacon building

hopefully it will get moving soon

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
There is now a sign up for the Deacon building

hopefully it will get moving soon
Oh boy.... I can't wait for construction to start on this one!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 12:41 PM

The sign looks like they're making a movie.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 1:08 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm really not loving this building... I'm afraid it'll annoy me in the same way the two red brick Canada buildings did/do. It's not modern in a new and exciting way, but it's also not reflective of our own traditional styles. And it's certainly not a beautiful nod to both like the new MIX Condos.

(I am, however, still curious to see what it will look like in context of the surrounding area, and with the other new projects completed).

It just seems like something I'd expect to see abandoned and windowless in a rusty, old railway town that had seen better days in Michigan or something...

And an aside: we have to stop soon with the parking garages at ground level. One or two is fine but we really should start pushing for commercial uses at street level before this trend weakens the pedestrian bustle.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Aug 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:02 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The sign is a good sign (pun).

Although the rendering doesn't show it well, much of the building will be glass on the flat sides. Most modern office towers these days are all glass; the brick is mainly on the rounded corners. That, and the whole design, is a concession to St. John's heritage. I think overall it will be eye catching - the only other large triangular building in Nfld. is the Carbonear hospital which is from a different era.

I'm not sure about the parking garage; anywhere that they can go underground they should as much as possible, but there is that bedrock problem.

Here is a thread which has some excavation pics for a new building in Vancouver; it shows how deep they will go, but I don't think you can do that anywhere in Nfld:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...138004&page=75

The deepest excavation so far in Van. has been 85 feet.

Last edited by Architype; Aug 13, 2012 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ It's triangular? I thought it was just a rectangle with rounded corners. Any other diagrams of it? I'm curious to see more of it.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
^ It's triangular? I thought it was just a rectangle with rounded corners. Any other diagrams of it? I'm curious to see more of it.
http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/LUAR%20-%...evelopment.pdf

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 5:51 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This one shows it, (you can also download the PDF for more views):

Source, screencap from: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Aerial_Ph...ton_Job_St.pdf

I think it is a different link from the one posted by J Murphy above.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:16 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Also of note, including the parking, the building will be 12 stories on the Job St side, this will add about another 5 m to the height, or about 43 meters, and I imagine there would be some type of small mechanical penthouse on top.

Source, screencap from: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/LUAR%20-%...evelopment.pdf

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 6:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ Jeez, talk about asking in the right place. Thanks, you two!

It's odd... seeing more of the building has both improved and worsened my opinion.

I do like the triangular shape. Buildings that are designed to fit the landscape are a Newfoundland tradition - and a beautiful one. I like that.

I love all of the glass on the building's other sides... I dislike the lack of windows in the two other main brick areas, especially the one facing up Hamilton Avenue.

Love that shadows and view planes are such a concern in St. John's. I get a kick out of that every time - in a... red tape that makes me proud kind of way.

Kinda LOL'd at the picture from NYC in that first PDF. We dream big, I think. And good on us.

I'm less concerned about it being built now. But I am equally unimpressed with the actual design. Make sense?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:28 AM

Interesting in that I feel almost completely different than you about the building in that I'm not a fan of the complete glass parts of the building, but really like the window detail facing Job and Water. It's definitely going to be a unique building, which I think is excellent for the area. May as well keep building standards high and have a skyline other cities will be envious of

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:12 PM

I really like the look of this building. I like the shape, the combination of glass and brick, the colors, etc. However, I'm not a big fan of the parking garage (it does give it a haunted house look), but the fact still remains that parking is needed and it is difficult (and very expensive) to build underground parking due to the bedrock issue. Parking and parking garages in the downtown are hotly debated issues, and rightfully so. I'm not proposing we build parking garages left, right, and centre, but due to the geography and geology of DT there will have to be some compromise. Having a 'business district' in west end of DT with modern highrise buildings while preserving culture and heritage on the east end is a good balance, I believe. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 11:24 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The site in location to the new 351 Water Street and Fortis buildings already under construction:

Deacon will be located right at the left edge of the photo, about half way from the sea to the sky.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I really like the look of this building. I like the shape, the combination of glass and brick, the colors, etc. However, I'm not a big fan of the parking garage (it does give it a haunted house look), but the fact still remains that parking is needed and it is difficult (and very expensive) to build underground parking due to the bedrock issue. Parking and parking garages in the downtown are hotly debated issues, and rightfully so. I'm not proposing we build parking garages left, right, and centre, but due to the geography and geology of DT there will have to be some compromise. Having a 'business district' in west end of DT with modern highrise buildings while preserving culture and heritage on the east end is a good balance, I believe. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I guess.
Agreed on all points. I for some reason like the haunted house look though

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 7:12 PM

Any news on possible construction happening this season? Time is starting to run out for this year, I'd assume most construction companies don't want to be digging and whatnot come December.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:09 PM

Just wondering if there is any recent news as to when construction will begin. Has it been pushed back to next year?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's