HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...52488&latest=1

Surprised to learn that MUN has 103 buildings! Glad to hear the new science building is scheduled to start soon.
MUN has buildings in weird places, including a cul-de-sac just off of Elizabeth where all the houses are designated "office space" that I don't believe is often used.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 2:33 PM

take in consideration they have buildings in corner brook, battery,osc,mt scio road, Labrador and woody point

Old Posted Feb 6, 2015, 5:31 PM

and Harlow/England. Also used to have a place on St. Pierre. Also the Marine Institute and it's various buildings (waterfront, holyrood, etc)

Old Posted Feb 8, 2015, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
MUN has buildings in weird places, including a cul-de-sac just off of Elizabeth where all the houses are designated "office space" that I don't believe is often used.
I work in one of those houses. It is used as an office for a research project - grad students, researchers, and staff connected to the project work there (8 people give or take on a daily basis). Another house is occupied by a campus-wide research support office and people work there daily, and another is audit or something like that. Apparently a couple of the houses on the cul-de-sac are still owner-occupied. I'm sure MUN would love to own the whole lot and eventually redevelop but I don't know if that will be possible any time soon.

The street is pretty much on campus so it's not that weird location-wise, just strange to be working in what used to be a single family home.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 4:58 PM

MUN science building officially approved

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...lly-approved/1

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 7:26 PM

Thoughts on the design?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:33 PM

I think it looks pretty good - then again anything is better than the current Science Building, which was easily the achilles heel of my grad school experience at MUN. Great people, outdated facility.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:55 PM

The design is okay (though I have some problems with how the interior lab space is being allocated). It'll replace some extremely outdated infrastructure, which is the real plus here.

I heard the rumors of the old science building being demolished for a parking lot are false. It makes sense, too, seeing as the lecture hall there would be extremely missed (there are only two other lecture halls of that size on campus: Bruneau 2101 and Engineering 2006)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Thoughts on the design?
I actually like the design, it's very modern looking. It'll give MUN a much needed facelift.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 1:12 PM

Meh - I would have liked to see something that fit in with the campus. One of my problems with MUN is that there is little consistency to the architecture (and much of it looks cheap). HOWEVER the devil's always in the details, and it's hard to tell from that photo. I am ecstatic that the parking lot will be filled in.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 3:05 AM

Quote:
The design is okay (though I have some problems with how the interior lab space is being allocated).
What news is there of this?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRoome View Post
What news is there of this?
I can't say much about it, those kind of details aren't public, and are just known to those on the planning committee. But a lot of the research laboratory space is going to be shared among multiple research groups. Professors often act like children, and sharing may be a big problem.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I can't say much about it, those kind of details aren't public, and are just known to those on the planning committee. But a lot of the research laboratory space is going to be shared among multiple research groups. Professors often act like children, and sharing may be a big problem.

From the mun website see below comments that were posted several months back. Gives some detail on how the spaces will be allocated and shared along with future plans to attached to a parking garage and the HSC.

Quote:
The Board of Regents has approved the concept design for the future core sciences facility.
The design was one of three put forward by the building’s internal steering committee following months of discussions with HOK Canada, the prime consultant on the project.
The three proposed options were presented to the Memorial University community at a town hall session on June 25th, where the firm’s science and technology planners, senior designers and architects discussed the design elements and functional program requirements that led to these concept designs.
The selected 3-pavilion option is comprised of three interlinked learning/research “neighbourhoods”, featuring back-to-back research labs, with shared support in the middle, which are then connected to teaching labs and surrounded by collaboration spaces and faculty offices.
This compact and efficient design will encourage interdisciplinary collaboration and student crossover from teaching to research spaces, forming a vibrant, collaborative academic community where people can come into contact with each other and share ideas.
The neighbourhoods will rest above highly active lower floors devoted to undergraduate focused functions, some of the Core Research Equipment and Instrument Training (CREAIT) Network’s dynamic facilities, partner spaces, and gathering places with convenient connection into the broader campus.
“The dynamic design aesthetic of the new facility is inspired by both Memorial’s spirit of progressive innovation and Newfoundland and Labrador’s distinctive natural heritage,” said President Gary Kachanoski. “In particular I would like to thank the provincial government for their support of the project and also to the members of the steering committee who have worked so hard to get us to this juncture.”
A gateway site for the university, the building, which will be located in what is now Lot 16, will be highly visible to anyone driving or walking along the Prince Philip Parkway. As such, the designers felt it was important to make the facility a “signature presence” that would showcase sustainability and put the excellence of the units housed inside on display to the world.
The building will also be connected to the University Centre via a walkway, and allow for future connections to the Education building and the new parking structure, with a goal of eventually connecting that facility to the Health Science Centre.
While building materials and colour schemes have yet to be determined, the designers say they intend to stay true to the natural character of both the university and the province with a building that incorporates a dynamic shape and colour that reacts to the natural elements such as light, fog and wind.
HOK is expected to deliver a detailed concept report to the university by July 22nd and following that, Memorial will make a submission to government for approval to proceed to the next design stages.
The first tenders on the project will be called in March of 2015 and continuing throughout that year with construction ongoing through to the summer of 2019. Occupation of the new facility is expected for the fall of that year.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Memorial University of Newfoundland by Rabbittownie, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:51 PM
BANNED

Creepy stuff one of those pictures has my girlfriends window. Even more creepy is the fact that I can tell because I was fiddling with the blinds when you were taking that picture.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 4:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I know.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 6:56 PM

For anyone interested, there's an open house for the design of the new Core Sciences Building at MUN next week. Since this will be the biggest single construction project in St. John's in a long time ( $ 350 M ), might be worth a drop-in.

Core Science Facility Open House
Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2015, 2-4 p.m.
The Landing, UC-3018 (On the right at the top of the stairs in the UC North Side)

Members of the Memorial community are encouraged to attend a Core Science Facility open house from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. and from 2-4 p.m. in the Landing, University Centre. Drop in any time to see architectural drawings and models of the new building. Project team members will be on hand to answer questions about this exciting new facility.

Last edited by rthomasd; Sep 11, 2015 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 1:30 AM

From the CBC website. A preview of the new science building. It's certainly gonna change the face of the parkway once completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hn-s-1.3231201

Old Posted Sep 17, 2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
From the CBC website. A preview of the new science building. It's certainly gonna change the face of the parkway once completed.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...hn-s-1.3231201
Definitely be an attention grabber, that's for sure!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2015, 12:08 PM

According to one of the design staff, eventually pedestrian walkways will connect the Core Science building with the Education Building to the south, and with the Health Science Centre to the north via the parking garage. That should help encourage informal collaborations between medicine and the other science faculties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's