HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:18 PM

The tornadoes that can form around the NYC area aren't large enough to cause structural issues with sky scrapers. They're usually pretty small, and while they might generate winds in excess of the maximum load (110mph) the wind is super concentrated (and spinning). It's very different from say, 80mph Hurricane winds that apply a constant force against the entire building in a single direction.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:00 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

Looking at the diagram, it appears that the floors with the recessed windows will be the lounge. Lobby floor will have them as well. However the "observation decks" will be open air, to reduce wind resistance. Or, mostly open, anyway. In some of the very detailed renders, you can see that the lower of the two floors in each of the open sections will have a glass railing of some kind.
Yeah, if you look at the detailed rendering, you can see some type of railing or glass parapet on all of the open levels. Other than what's on the diagram they really haven't said much about it publicly.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:16 PM

Camera Feeds

I find it interesting that more and more building sites are adding at the very least time lapse video, if not live feed video, to track the progress of buildings. Is this a form of marketing perhaps? Or maybe the public has finally shown enough interest in construction? Thoughts?

Just curious as I'm looking at how to properly incorporate it into future pages.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:27 PM

When will 432 be topped out ?

Sunset on the greatest skyline on earth !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjQ_6bxJO8

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:56 PM
Bostonian

Tornadoes can form anywhere provided the conditions are right- that said, significant ones are fairly rare, especially in the northeastern U.S. Given recent hurricane seasons and with the likelihood increasing for more/stronger hurricanes, I would personally be more concerned about them.

Given the state of the concrete right now, I think this building will look a lot better from farther away... though I don't doubt its impact from street level will be astounding.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
Tornadoes can form anywhere provided the conditions are right- that said, significant ones are fairly rare, especially in the northeastern U.S. Given recent hurricane seasons and with the likelihood increasing for more/stronger hurricanes, I would personally be more concerned about them.

Given the state of the concrete right now, I think this building will look a lot better from farther away... though I don't doubt its impact from street level will be astounding.
Although it's height could give it some impact when looking up from the base.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 6:23 PM

Guys, just to remind you, someone did say that the concrete needs to cure correctly and that will take time. The reason there is so much streaking on the lower floors is because they were done in the winter/spring. Time will tell on how beautiful this giant will be.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 7:17 PM

I know the speed of this building has been predicted to be one floor every 4-5 days. I think it has not yet made it to this pace. Not that I think this building should be built faster, but was wondering out of pure curiosity, how long the average floor is taking?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Bostonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condopedia View Post
Although it's height could give it some impact when looking up from the base.
That's what I meant. I can't wait to see this from the street even if the materials end up lacking a bit, because the height will be incredible.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downburst View Post
That's what I meant. I can't wait to see this from the street even if the materials end up lacking a bit, because the height will be incredible.
Ok, it's officially Monday. I completely misread your previous post.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 11:20 PM

Core jump.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
The tornadoes that can form around the NYC area aren't large enough to cause structural issues with sky scrapers. They're usually pretty small, and while they might generate winds in excess of the maximum load (110mph) the wind is super concentrated (and spinning). It's very different from say, 80mph Hurricane winds that apply a constant force against the entire building in a single direction.
Its the same kind of thinking that led to nature bitch slapping humans on quite a few occasions...

The Titanic is a great example.

Dont mess with nature... "Tornadoes that can form around the NYC arent large enough..." YET... they arent large enough YET or SO FAR.

can you state that as an undeniable FACT for the next 50 years or more?

All it takes is ONE -not so usual- Tornado. It will be enough.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
Its the same kind of thinking that led to nature bitch slapping humans on quite a few occasions...

Dont mess with nature... "Tornadoes that can form around the NYC arent large enough..." YET... they arent large enough YET or SO FAR.

Our building codes are based on the current climate regime.

We have never been hit by a (Joplin, Tuscalusa & Moore) style tornado or a very powerful hurricane (cat 4/5) in the pass 300 years.....so we assume we can't be hit by one.

But global warming (human caused or otherwise) will rearrange our climate in ways that invalidate the historical records from which are current building codes are derived.

Last edited by speedy1979; Jul 19, 2013 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy1979 View Post

Our building codes are based on the current climate regime.

We have never been hit by a (Joplin, Tuscalusa & Moore) style tornado or a very powerful hurricane (cat 4/5) in pass 300 years.....so we assume we can't be hit by one.

But global warming (human caused or otherwise) will rearrange our climate in ways that invalidate the historical records from which are current building codes are derived.
great example is calgary alberta. they got the one in one thousand year flood last month. never happened before so they never new it could. but, bamm!!! suddenly downtown Calgary was looking more like downtown Atlantis than anything else. hahaha

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Pretty close. Add about 500 feet and it's right there.

http://thefunambulistdotnet.files.wo...anilla-sky.jpg
also the concrete is the same. it has all the cutouts and everything. lol to eerie.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:40 PM

i am really in love with this tower. its just too tall and skinny to take. it will look marvelous.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
But the Aon is like a bunch of cubes Patriotizzy's 4 yr old brother stacked up in kindergarten. This building is like a bunch of cubes Patriotizzy's 4 yr old brother stacked up in kindergarten and then proceeded to puke on them.
when you are going for a 1450 ft high, skinny assed tower, you have to tone back on many things. cost is one issue, although i am not sure if it is one here. and also structure for a tower this skinny demands that it be built simple and strong, that i am sure of. the tower is going to look insane at this height i can promise you that and when all is said and done that's what everyone will be saying. insane, with a awesome thrown in there for good measure.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
i am really in love with this tower. its just too tall and skinny to take. it will look marvelous.
Exactly, The fact that it is so tall and skinny will truly make it stand out from the pack.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post

The Titanic isn't a good analogy because icebergs presented a real and frequent danger. Ships sank for a variety of reasons on a regular basis. Full height bulkheads were omitted because they were too costly, not because hull leaks were believed to be rare.

On the other hand, has a skyscraper ever collapsed from tornado damage... any where on the planet ever?

That's an honest question. I honestly haven't heard of it happening. I would think that the windows would blow out and wind would pass through, ruining everything but not taking the building down. Skyscrapers are quite heavy in comparison to their surface area for bearing wind load (once the windows are broken).

If wanting to spend more money on building safety, tornado-proofing would seem to be pretty low on the priority list. Fire, earthquakes, and intentional sabotage pose a much larger threat.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
great example is calgary alberta. they got the one in one thousand year flood last month. never happened before so they never new it could. but, bamm!!! suddenly downtown Calgary was looking more like downtown Atlantis than anything else. hahaha
It wasn't even a 1:100 year flood (prelim accounts say somewhere between the 1:70 and 1:100 year flows). Not sure where you got that number from.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive