HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 21, 2009, 2:18 PM

When is all this two-way conversion going to happen? Personally I have never cared for one-way streets unless you are trying to get somewhere in a hurry.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reet View Post
Eye sore? How so? I checked it out and it looks good to me -- I love the wider sidewalks and this section of the street really does feel safer and more attractive for pedestrians now.

I can't comment on the situation for driving commuters because I haven't experienced it that way. Time will tell if it does provoke bad driving, but I really doubt this will happen.
There are giant holes in the ground from people running over the islands. Maybe if they had put some sort of median in the street lined with trees, this would be more effective and less confusing to drivers in addition to enhancing the street scape more than widening the sidewalks a couple of ft.

I've nearly been hit by another driver multiple times.

Why is that whenever DOT starts working on something, they nearly finish and then let it sit there for 6-9 months before taking two weeks to wrap up the project? Marietta and Ivan Allen Blvd in still in shambles. It's getting old having to cross the street 3 times to get to where I want to walk.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2009, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Maybe if they had put some sort of median in the street lined with trees, this would be more effective and less confusing to drivers in addition to enhancing the street scape more than widening the sidewalks a couple of ft.
Those sidewalks desperately needed to be widened. I'm not saying it was done perfectly, but the extra space was a must.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 7:27 PM

Quote:
I'm all for making Atlanta urban but the design of that Decatur St Project is horrible. I travel down Marietta / Decatur St every day and this is an eye sore, will create accidents, and provoke bad driving that will ultimately make it LESS safe for pedestrians.

The purpose of the Decatur Street Project is not to make your DRIVE through Downtown Atlanta more enjoyable. It's purpose is to create a better and safer pedestrian experience WALKING on Georgia State's campus. I would think you might find a different route to and from work rather than cutting through the middle of GSU campus?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 9:41 PM

Well I am glad they are doing it but I must say it is still not the most attractive set up. Maybe they are not finished yet.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
The purpose of the Decatur Street Project is not to make your DRIVE through Downtown Atlanta more enjoyable. It's purpose is to create a better and safer pedestrian experience WALKING on Georgia State's campus. I would think you might find a different route to and from work rather than cutting through the middle of GSU campus?
Yeah I'm not sure if you read the part where I noted that it would make it less safe for PEDESTRIANS. You need to re-read what I wrote.

I live off Marietta St., been here for a long time, and I work from home. If we had decent transit, I wouldn't need to drive down Marietta / Decatur ever but, unfortunately, I have to constantly drive in the winter months since I can not ride my bike and most of my destinations are on the east side / EAV. I forgot to mention how the "improvements" make cycling even less safe and you assumed I meant driving when I said travel.

Do you live in the city? Have you experienced the pedestrian / driving / cycling experience since they "improved" this stretch of Decatur St? People whip around others, drive straight when they're in a turning lane, and are enraged because traffic gets ridiculously backed up resulting in even worse driving than normal - more red lights ran and more cars blocking crosswalks / intersections.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
I forgot to mention how the "improvements" make cycling even less safe and you assumed I meant driving when I said travel.
Interesting point -- sorry to say I didn't even consider the situation for cyclists when I checked out this redo of Decatur Street. Atlanta in general does not do well when it comes to accommodating cycling, it seems to me.

Since cycling is becoming more popular as an alternative form of transportation, one that could be used by the GSU population in this area, it makes sense for some bicycle lanes to be created -- if it isn't feasible for most roads, maybe just on some key routes.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm not sure if you read the part where I noted that it would make it less safe for PEDESTRIANS. You need to re-read what I wrote.

I live off Marietta St., been here for a long time, and I work from home. If we had decent transit, I wouldn't need to drive down Marietta / Decatur ever but, unfortunately, I have to constantly drive in the winter months since I can not ride my bike and most of my destinations are on the east side / EAV. I forgot to mention how the "improvements" make cycling even less safe and you assumed I meant driving when I said travel.

Do you live in the city? Have you experienced the pedestrian / driving / cycling experience since they "improved" this stretch of Decatur St? People whip around others, drive straight when they're in a turning lane, and are enraged because traffic gets ridiculously backed up resulting in even worse driving than normal - more red lights ran and more cars blocking crosswalks / intersections.
Of course I live in the city or I wouldn't attempt to make comments about it. One thing I can definitely say is that it doesn't make me nearly as angry as it seems to make you. You were complaining about DRIVING on this stretch of downtown street, and my comment was in response to that complaint - they aren't making these improvements to make your drive more enjoyable. Decatur Street is one of GSU's main arteries and should appear as such...not as a quick way to cut through between downtown and the east side.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:08 PM

Dream a little dream

This looks like the 12th & Midtown vision for 12th street west of Peachtree.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 9:16 PM

prada & a bentley

chanel & a jag

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 10:12 PM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post

prada & a bentley

chanel & a jag
Hey, you never know...

Old Posted Jan 1, 2010, 11:50 PM

I didn't even notice they had a Prada store in there.

I hope that going forward, developers begin to master the tool of varying the streetscape facades. Thats my one minor complaint with 12th & Midtown so far - the streetscape facades are a little monotonous.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 12:24 AM
Ahhhh KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
This looks like the 12th & Midtown vision for 12th street west of Peachtree.

Where did you get that from? Is that on their website?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
Where did you get that from? Is that on their website?
It was on the website of a firm that does renderings.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2010, 10:36 PM

Well is it legal to ride bikes on the sidewalk? We had to go down to the Capitol the other day and just as we were pulling out of the parking lot some fellow came flying up the sidewalk on his bicycle. It was a blind corner and he just about ran smack dab into us. People were jumping off the sidewalk too.

Last edited by cybele; Jan 12, 2010 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 1:15 AM

sorry

That was probably a courier, most go up that sidewalk. Personally, I stay in the road. It's illegal in the state of Georgia to ride on the sidewalk. 2 MLK sits at the corner of 2 one way streets so the only way to approach it from downtown is against traffic up hill on both streets. That's why the inconsiderate ones use the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 1:45 AM

Well thank you for telling me that, courier. Both the missus and I were really shaken up because even though the Buick might have gotten skinned up a little that fellow on the bicycle could have been killed or hurt real bad.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 2:22 AM

He was more concerned with his commission than his safety. It's a silly way to chase a dollar if you don't consider big picture things like "How am I affecting other folks in the city."

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 1:45 PM

Well we weren't so worried about us because our car could be fixed but this fellow could have been killed. Maybe the folks walking down the sidewalk who had to jump out of his way were upset, I don't know.

On another note it looks like Downtown may be clawing back some of those big law firms that ran off to midtown during the 90s.

191 Peachtree Lands 2 New Tenants

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:22 PM

Spire vs Spire

I'm sure that many have seen this building in Denver also called Spire, that is virtually the same basic building as Spire Atlanta. Yet the one if Denver seems so much more polished and well.... attractive. My question is why? Do we just care more about the bottom line and less about aesthetics or is it just specific to the developer?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta