HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Does anybody know anything about the Miramichi North bypass? They have the right of way purchased and clear cut but nothing else has been done. I'm curious as to when the project first came about and if there is any word on it ever being complete or if it is just going to become like the proposed highway 113 in Halifax.
I think the Burnside Expressway (Highway 107) in Dartmouth is a better comparison. It was promised some 20 years ago, the path has been cleared but its unknown when construction will actually begin!

Highway 113 was always planned to be built when needed which is thought to be around 2025. The route and environmental assessment was completed due to ongoing development pressure.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I think the Burnside Expressway (Highway 107) in Dartmouth is a better comparison. It was promised some 20 years ago, the path has been cleared but its unknown when construction will actually begin!

Highway 113 was always planned to be built when needed which is thought to be around 2025. The route and environmental assessment was completed due to ongoing development pressure.
Yes that would be a better comparison. Even the Cornwall bypass/extension of the Charlottetown Bypass on PEI would be comparable. I didn't know that about 113 though, I always assumed it was planned and then they just never built it cause they deemed it "unnecessary".

I'm just curious if anyone knows about the project at all. I haven't been able to find anything. Google maps shows the route cleared as of whenever their last images update was, so for some reason they are keeping the right of way cleared. The first "phase" opened in like 2006 or something and it was just west of Newcastle. The whole bypass looks like a a pretty big project. It bypasses Newcaste and Douglastown and connects up with the #8 north of the power centre.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 11:23 PM
ハルウララ

Highway 113 in NS will be very welcome (for me at least) when it's finally built. I make enough trips to the South Shore that avoiding much of the 102 south of Bedford would be great, as well as saving a bit of time!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2014, 5:43 PM

Apparently the Marysville Bypass wasn't quite as well received by some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORYo8GavStc&app=desktop

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 10:38 PM

Noticed just now that Google Maps now displays 2-lane controlled-access routes as freeways, with that orange color. A few freeways once classified as boulevards are now orange too. The following routes are now "freeways:"

NB:
  • Route 7, SJ to Oromocto
  • Route 8, Miramichi to Bathurst
  • Route 11, Veteran's in Moncton, Shediac to Kouchibouguac, Bathurst to Campbellton
  • Route 15, Wheeler in Moncton

NS:
  • 101, Full length
  • 103, Full length
  • 104, New Glasgow to Antigonish

Quebec Route 185 is there also.

No changes is Nfld. or PEI, as far as I can see. Surprised they didn't add the PMB in Freddy, Confederation Bridge or the new Marysville Bypass. They also changed the color scheme for SOME freeway-freeway ramps: 2/11/15 interchange in Moncton

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Quebec Route 185 is there also.
Parts of that would be better classified as a dirt road than a freeway.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:06 PM

Well less and less, a total of 14.5 km where recently twinned and opened including the little bit passed Edmundston that was two lanes. You can now go across NB on a four lane highway.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Well less and less, a total of 14.5 km where recently twinned and opened including the little bit passed Edmundston that was two lanes. You can now go across NB on a four lane highway.
Isn't the actual border between QC and NB still two lanes though?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Isn't the actual border between QC and NB still two lanes though?
Last I went by there in January, it was two lanes all the way to Notre-Dame-du-Lac, but according to the map it's two lanes for about 2km into NB, then twinned 100m before the border (the new interchange is built on both sides, so Quebec built an interchange spanning two provinces!) and twinned all the way to Dégelis. These are the sections twinned so far:

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 4:42 PM

When I drove through in July, the section crossing the border had not yet opened. But it was getting fairly close, and I know it was supposed to open this fall. So if it has, then more's the better!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 5:33 PM

The Feds should have made the Autoroute 85 project in line with the NB route 2 projects from the border to Woodstock. Then everthing would have been done already!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:46 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Bear in mind that Route 2 is the most important highway in New Brunswick. Autoroute 185/85 is basically in the hinterland to Quebec. One of those 'all things are relative' situations.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 6:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Bear in mind that Route 2 is the most important highway in New Brunswick. Autoroute 185/85 is basically in the hinterland to Quebec. One of those 'all things are relative' situations.
Driving route 2 from Salisbury to Woodstock feels like the hinterland to me.....

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 12:51 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

True true.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2014, 6:48 PM
ハルウララ

The improvements to 185/85 are good, if not very overdue. I'd still rather fly than make that long drive home, but at least it's 4-lanes throughout.

Any of you know how much the divided sections save on time vs. the old 2lanes?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The improvements to 185/85 are good, if not very overdue. I'd still rather fly than make that long drive home, but at least it's 4-lanes throughout.

Any of you know how much the divided sections save on time vs. the old 2lanes?
The 2-lane (before all this construction began, from RDL to NB, was 88,72 km. When this project is complete, the four-lane will be 88.04 km.

2-Lane

88.72km
90km/h
=0.9857=59 minutes, 14 seconds

4-Lane

88.04km
110km/h
=0.8=48 minutes.

Saves about 12 minutes, pretty good considering the Marysville Bypass saves no time at all.

Now maybe the Atlantic Highways Thread should get back to the Atlantic Provinces. I think it sums up this region pretty well that we end up talking about a highway in Quebec.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Saves about 12 minutes, pretty good considering the Marysville Bypass saves no time at all.
Where is this coming from? The Marysville Bypass is 3 km shorter and has a higher speed limit. It definitely saves time. Google Maps is not always accurate for travel time, but it says the bypass saves 7 minutes.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 3:52 AM

They started shaving back the trees near the Veterans Highway (15) and Highway 11 interchange near Shediac. Late in the year to start work there, but you never know. I suppose they might just be doing site prep for next spring, now that the growing season is generally over.

Last edited by Nashe; Sep 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 6:51 PM

The municipal leaders and joint councils in southwest Newfoundland and Central are really starting to up their push for an interior road link across the island. The route would basically link Stephenville to Grand Falls-Windsor via Buchans and bypass the TCH which requires an out of the way trip up the west coast through Corner Brook, Deer Lake, Baie Verte, Springdale, Green Bay, etc...

Unfortunately, opposition is also starting to express itself, especially Deer Lake and Corner Brook, which is where the opposition to it is coming from. They have succeeded in stalling the project until an "archaeological study" is done.

Trans Island Link resolution stalled
Quote:
A driving force behind a possible road link between Central Newfoundland and the South West Coast believes municipal politics will prevent the concept from gaining the traction it needs to become reality.

The South West Coast Joint Council planned to introduce a resolution at the October Municipalities Newfoundland and Labrador (MNL) Convention in Corner Brook in hopes of moving the possible road development onto the provincial agenda.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...tion-stalled/1

It would significantly reduce cross-island travel time, turn Buchans into a highway rest-stop and service area instead of the most forgotten town on the island, and put both Stephenville and Grand Falls at major crossroads across the island (always a good thing to be at a crossroads). Route 370 would be connected to Route 480 for anybody looking to google map this.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 7:03 PM

Quote:
4-Lane

88.04km
110km/h
=0.8=48 minutes.
Who drives 110 on a 4 lane???

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces