HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:19 AM

I was initially more excited for what this can do for an underutilized area and how it will activate green space and bring Chicagoans together…. but the more I look at the stadium itself, the more I like it. It reminds me a lot of the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium. Except with touches that give it an identity all its own. And because of where it is located/with its views, this could end up arguably being the best stadium in the entire country.

I have heard some already saying it will be the crown jewel of our city. I am not willing to go that far just yet but it would definitely be a “must see” attraction for our city. Especially when you combine it with the area that would be surrounding it.

I finally get to say — well done Bears…. well done.

Now let’s find a way to get it built.

Last edited by Halsted & Villagio; Apr 25, 2024 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:21 AM

Friends of the Park speaking out:

https://x.com/BlairKamin/status/1783285221464424771

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:27 AM

I have a question I’ve read somewhere this is going to be the biggest stadium in the NFL so how many seats are in his bad boy and plus Chicago is known for architecture. They should’ve did a better design of the dome stadium. It looks too much of Vegas. I just feel like this is a once in a lifetime project, make this Chicago’s jewel

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Friends of the Park speaking out:

https://x.com/BlairKamin/status/1783285221464424771
We all knew this was coming. But for this group that loves preserving parking lots, I believe this was a surprisingly mild salvo. They can be much more strident and obstinate that this, so I will take this as a net positive for now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:47 AM

Really hope that if this ends up happening it could help spur some interesting development across the South Loop (looking at you, former NEMA II site)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:48 AM

Also - I'm just noticing that bridge to Northerly Island we heard about in previous reporting is absent in the renderings

Also, When Brandon Johnson says no tax increases..... Then where the fuck is this $2.3 billion coming from? Maybe I missed that small detail somewhere today.......

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:54 AM

And...... Something else I just caught in the renderings - If you look at the rendering of the stadium from the air from the Southeast - It would appear the neon lights encircle the top of the dome that is the shape of the Bears logo - That's fucking cool.

They should have highlighted that in the video......

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:58 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Just a little perspective....

The Bears are asking to demolish the city and install five ball fields as part of the multi-billion infrastructure project. Meanwhile, in New Lenon, 70 million is getting a wee bit more value for playing fields. That is a heck of a value proposition if you compare the two projects.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/...ds-fieldhouse/
"In New Lenox officials broke ground Monday for the village’s $70 million Crossroads Sports Complex that 29 youth baseball or softball fields or 12 soccer or multiuse fields on about 100 acres. The development will include a welcome center, three full-service concession stands, a beer garden, playground and 15 batting cages, said Matt Grusecki, president of Northern Builders"

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:07 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Also - I'm just noticing that bridge to Northerly Island we heard about in previous reporting is absent in the renderings

Also, When Brandon Johnson says no tax increases..... Then where the fuck is this $2.3 billion coming from? Maybe I missed that small detail somewhere today.......
Yeah, there was a lot of talk about rerouting DLSD away from McFetridge Dr. and the costs involved. It looks about the same as it does now in all the renders as far as I can tell.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Just a little perspective....

The Bears are asking to demolish the city and install five ball fields as part of the multi-billion infrastructure project. Meanwhile, in New Lenon, 70 million is getting a wee bit more value for playing fields. That is a heck of a value proposition if you compare the two projects.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/2024/...ds-fieldhouse/
"In New Lenox officials broke ground Monday for the village’s $70 million Crossroads Sports Complex that 29 youth baseball or softball fields or 12 soccer or multiuse fields on about 100 acres. The development will include a welcome center, three full-service concession stands, a beer garden, playground and 15 batting cages, said Matt Grusecki, president of Northern Builders"
From what I'm guessing, the ballfields sit atop what might be a parking structure several levels deep filling the original bowl of the stadium. Notice how the ground level is about the same as the base of the colonnade.

Another thing is I'm guessing a non-embellished parkland area to be used and abused for rec sports and major events...maybe like Lollapalooza to take the wear and tear off of Grant Park. Frame it that way and it might be a reasonable pitch. I've been hearing people complain about how lazy the Soldier Field replacement looks until you consider 1. Where Parking could be relocated and 2. A public park that's not overly restrictive and too pretty to be useful. They'd probably use this for tailgating also.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 5:58 AM

interesting thread proposing redirecting Red Line Extension funds to build a $6B Ohio-Columbus rail tunnel connecting northside Metra tracks w/ lakefront Metra Electric and supporting infrastructure

They propose going more the Lightfoot proposal and retrofitting Soldier Field with a dome, but could maybe swing a scaled down version of the Bears' proposal with the tunnel (assuming we could actually put the $4B RLE funding towards this)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:46 AM

Yea between the cost and the inevitable lawsuit they could very likely lose I’m intensely skeptical Sox plan seems way more realistic in comparison.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:26 PM

As a non-Chicagoan (I'm in Green Bay) who visits a couple of times a year because I love visiting Chicago, I don't think this plan gives me any additional reason to go to that area. I don't ever go to the ball fields in Grant Park, and these are just less accessible ball fields. If a reduced Soldier Field became a home for the Fire and Red Stars, I might go. Lets say they built it into a Heyward Field scale track and field facility that could host national meets, but then was publicly accessible to use most of the year, as someone who likes to run, I'd go out of my way to use it. I could go on, there are many things Soldier Field could become, and almost all of them would make me more likely to go there than 3 soccer fields and two ball diamonds.

Broadly, I dislike public funding of major league sports venues. But lets say that the Bears agreed to play in the new stadium for 50 years and improve and maintain it over that time. Maybe... maybe this plan or something like it would make sense. The problem is the last renovation isn't paid off when the team comes calling for another handout, and you can bet that in 20 years they are going to come back again saying they need X-billions more to stay in Chicago even though there are 20 years remining on paying for this plan. I just don't see it being a good deal in the long run.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
If a reduced Soldier Field became a home for the Fire and Red Stars, I might go. Lets say they built it into a Heyward Field scale track and field facility that could host national meets, but then was publicly accessible to use most of the year, as someone who likes to run, I'd go out of my way to use it. I could go on, there are many things Soldier Field could become, and almost all of them would make me more likely to go there than 3 soccer fields and two ball diamonds.
This is exactly what I was thinking to reuse of Soldier Field. And it still could be used to host outdoor concerts and festivals.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danillo View Post
As a non-Chicagoan (I'm in Green Bay) who visits a couple of times a year because I love visiting Chicago, I don't think this plan gives me any additional reason to go to that area. I don't ever go to the ball fields in Grant Park, and these are just less accessible ball fields. If a reduced Soldier Field became a home for the Fire and Red Stars, I might go. Lets say they built it into a Heyward Field scale track and field facility that could host national meets, but then was publicly accessible to use most of the year, as someone who likes to run, I'd go out of my way to use it. I could go on, there are many things Soldier Field could become, and almost all of them would make me more likely to go there than 3 soccer fields and two ball diamonds.

Broadly, I dislike public funding of major league sports venues. But lets say that the Bears agreed to play in the new stadium for 50 years and improve and maintain it over that time. Maybe... maybe this plan or something like it would make sense. The problem is the last renovation isn't paid off when the team comes calling for another handout, and you can bet that in 20 years they are going to come back again saying they need X-billions more to stay in Chicago even though there are 20 years remining on paying for this plan. I just don't see it being a good deal in the long run.
It all depends upon execution... what will added to area beyond the ball fields? I love that there are buildings adjacent and surrounding the ball fields if you look closely... why are they for? What will they house? Will there be restaurants over there? Shopping? Events on or around the ball fields? Also, because this is so close to the water, will there be anything tying it into the water as far as events or even boats moored so that patrons can wine and dine on them? There is so much that can be done with what they are creating that its far too early to say that anyone would not be attracted to it because they think it will resemble "ball fields in Grant Park".

The possibilities could be almost endless.

That said, getting it funded is the tricky part. This, without a doubt, should pay for itself a few years down the road... unlike the current hybrid monstrosity that the Bears call home. Because of its year round use, monies spent should be recouped in relative short order. That said, what we see right now/people throwing down markers and drawing sand lines - politicians have to seem like they are towing the line on this - their constituents demand it. But in the end, if reasonable compromise can be made so that this thing is funded in such a way that the backs of taxpayers do not feel it, it should be done - because this city definitely could use it, and dare I say, needs it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 2:25 PM

The city needs like 200 things before it needs a new lakefront football stadium. They're still $600M in debt from the renovation!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:14 PM

move the Bears to Arlington Downsheightswhatever nobody will miss them and then we won't get Toiletbowlgate Part Douche.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post

That said, getting it funded is the tricky part. This, without a doubt, should pay for itself a few years down the road... unlike the current hybrid monstrosity that the Bears call home. Because of its year round use, monies spent should be recouped in relative short order. That said, what we see right now/people throwing down markers and drawing sand lines - politicians have to seem like they are towing the line on this - their constituents demand it. But in the end, if reasonable compromise can be made so that this thing is funded in such a way that the backs of taxpayers do not feel it, it should be done - because this city definitely could use it, and dare I say, needs it.
When has a sports stadium ever paid for itself?

It’ll be the exact same events that already come to Chicago, and $3 billion extra in debt.

If these stadiums pay for themselves and are so profitable, why are they asking the city for billions?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
When has a sports stadium ever paid for itself?

It’ll be the exact same events that already come to Chicago, and $3 billion extra in debt.

If these stadiums pay for themselves and are so profitable, why are they asking the city for billions?

But if we give the bears billions of public dollars to build this dome, maybe Taylor Swift will take up a 5 year residency inside it!

What's it called again when you keep doing the same thing over and over, but expect different results?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 4:00 PM

This is falling into groups:

1. The group that wants the Bears to stay in Chicago at all costs,

2. The group that wants the Bears to stay in Chicago only if the taxpayers do not feel the burden of this -- my group,

3. The covert Friends of the Park/Parking Lot group who have weighed in here,

4. Those that pan this plan because they secretly (and not so secretly) are still hoping the Bears move to the suburbs... Arlington Heights in particular,

5. Those that pan this plan because they do not like anything good happening to Chicago -- a small group but they are out there and I submit a few may have already weighed in here on this forum/on this topic,

6. Those that pan this plan because they are scared of Chicago/tend to be xenophobic/believe everything they hear on Fox News, etc. and would prefer the stadium be built in a relative corn field, any corn field, miles outside of Chicago,

7. Those that do not like Brandon Johnson and would like to see anything he touches, crash and burn. I get it. He is polarizing. I would just hope that we could put the best interests of the Chicago ahead of personal dislike and/or animus for any one person.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development