HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

View Poll Results: When will Salt Lake City ever get it's own signature tower?
By 2020 19 14.73%
By 2030 39 30.23%
By 2040 12 9.30%
By 2050 or later 7 5.43%
Never 52 40.31%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:44 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I agree with bunt_q, whining won't do us any good and is just that, Whining! And thank you for your input blunt_q, all very well said.

His reasons are exactly why my only hope for a new tallest/signature tower lie in the hands of possibly Zions Bank or Goldman Sacs (or a similar financial company). Goldman Sacs currently occupies 7 floor at 222 S Main, and is said to be out growing that space already. 222 is nearing full occupancy, thus Goldman may either need to break their lease and sign a lease in a tower such as the PAC tower for additional square footage, let's say 10-15, based on roughly the same amount of sf per floor as 222. As they see their operations growing even further, there may be a need for them for even more room, once they have filled their leased space at the PAC tower.

Let's say they lease 15 floors of the PAC tower with a projection of a 5-8 year growth to occupy all that space. As the project to be at capacity at the 8 year mark and if they expect continued growth, this is when they could pull the trigger on a building that could be over 500'. Generally builder will need to have 45% of the total square footage pre-leased before being able to get construction financing. So basing it on the same average sq ft per floor, in this scenario they currently have 15 floors leased at PAC tower with projected growth they easily see filling 20-25 in the future. At 25 stories that is 45% of 55 stories.

That is why it will take a regional headquarters or corporate headquarters to get a signature tower. Our wishing, hoping, and positive vibes won't get it done. To quote Bergus Merideth from Grumpy Old Men, "You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, and see which one gets filled first."

Just because you don't see a proposal down the pipe, or haven't heard something being talked about, doesn't mean that something couldn't very easily happen/be announced, in the next seven years. If a new CEO is appointed at a company and he decides to move the company to SLC, that isn't something that projects down the road very far.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 3:59 PM

Makid, I totally agree with you on the tower aspect. What is the latest skuttlebutt on the Hotel? Do you hear anything from your political friends?

I get that this is a Skyscaper forum, and my friend Lee is no more impatient than I am for more towers. I just want some of us to also remind ourselves that Salt Lake and it's metro has been spending billions, even through the recession on a very long list of impressive developments. Salt Lake Metro is by NO means slogging along, but is among the handfull of boomtowns!

Now, how about someone updating us on the latest progress with Downtown's newest signature civic structure, the Public Safety Building. Also, what's going on this week with North America's most significant signature retail development, Downtown's CCC? Anyone been to the world class, signature Rio Tinto lately? A few seem to forget that Salt Lake's CBD is full of signature, monumental buildings, which by the way make most Western city's portfolios pale in comparison. Soon, Downtown Salt Lake City will be adding a signature theatre to it's already long list of magnificant Halls and Performance Auditoriums. Oh, and that brings up, what is happening with Salt Lake's signature A-list Ballet, and the expansion of it's home? Yeah, maybe Salt Lake won't spend 300 million-plus on another tower until it builds the Convention Hotel, but it doesn't seem to have a problem these past few years spending billions on beautiful signature performance halls, auditoriums, high tech campus parks, lavish University schools and museums, five star resort hotels and development, incredibly impressive transportation infrastructure, blah, blah...C'mon.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 4, 2013 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Makid, I totally agree with you on the tower aspect. What is the latest skuttlebutt on the Hotel? Do you hear anything from your political friends?
The last I have heard is that they are still working to get this done and they would love to have it done sooner rather than later. I do know that they would like to be doing either Demo or Construction come next summer but that can only happen if things fall into place somewhat quickly.

When I find out more, I will give what information I can.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:18 PM
They all float down here

I disagree. It's not much a signature tower if it fails to stand out in the skyline. I don't think anyone would consider a stubby, really nice looking 350 foot tower a 'signature'.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:04 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I disagree. It's not much a signature tower if it fails to stand out in the skyline. I don't think anyone would consider a stubby, really nice looking 350 foot tower a 'signature'.
I agree. It can't be a "signature" tower if it can't be seen from every direction.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:52 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
It can't be a "signature" tower if it can't be seen from every direction.
By that measure, I need to start a poll about when (if ever) Denver will finally get a signature tower.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 10:04 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
By that measure, I need to start a poll about when (if ever) Denver will finally get a signature tower.
So by that measure, as long as it's unique with a cool design, it can be 10 stories and that's a signature tower.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 10:17 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

No, a signature tower is something distinctive and recognizable enough that your city decides to plaster its shape all over everything, and your evening newscast makes sure to put it in the background just behind/next to the hot newslady. An imprecise standard, I know, but probably an accurate one. Not so sure size matters, as long as it's reasonably large.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 10:24 PM
of SLC

Good points from everyone...

I think by 2020 we will have something of a signature tower but not in terms of other signature towers that we dream of or see in big cities.

Signature tower-lite is more likely--and we will love it, I'm sure.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:12 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
No, a signature tower is something distinctive and recognizable enough that your city decides to plaster its shape all over everything, and your evening newscast makes sure to put it in the background just behind/next to the hot newslady. An imprecise standard, I know, but probably an accurate one. Not so sure size matters, as long as it's reasonably large.
Exactly. And to add to that point:

It's not even our tallest but it's in everything. Cash Register building = Denver. It's iconic enough where it doesn't have to be a middle finger on the skyline.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 11:23 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

I understand what the OP means by 'signature tower' but Salt Lake's Mormon Temple...that's a pretty distinctive building. It's not as if there's no detail or character to Salt Lake City's skyline it just doesn't have a giant character. London didn't have much of one until a decade or so ago but that meant little to how people viewed the city.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:29 AM
Bring out the cranes...

I didn't mean to come across as "whining", I guess I don't like being told we "can't". Something I didn't think of at first is that so many of us have different views on just what is a signature tower is. For some it's a super tall skyscraper that champions the skyline, for others it more simply a new tallest that in Salt Lake's case could be anything at least 430FT. I guess to be more clear I should of asked...."when will Salt Lake get a new tallest?" Anyways it was a fun question to ask and I didn't mean to open up a can of worms with this.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 6:35 AM
Bring out the cranes...

That's great news FM that Goldmans Sacs has already out grown their space at 222 main. I thought we were about at least two years out before that. So hopefully then as you said this will push the PAC tower to break ground sooner with maybe a move down the street with Goldmans.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2013, 10:51 AM

Hey, let's all figure out an exact time that we could practice telepathy on Goldman. A neeewww talllessst, a neeewww talllessst...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 4:47 PM
Denver

Quote:

Although, I will say, that attitude does display a certain immaturity in your city's collective mindset. It sort of reminds me of Denver 15 years ago. Word to the wise: nobody respects a whiner.
Well, It is certainly a good thing that your attitude doesn't reflect the overall attitude of Denverites because I sure as hell would not want to live in Denver if everyone was as rude as you.

A certain immaturity in your city's collective mindset? Are you serious? How can you even begin to judge a city's collective mindset?

And SLC, stand up for yourself!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2013, 10:50 PM
Engineer

Salt Lake is awesome

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 12:01 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

I believe that we will get a signature tower within he next 3 years. It will be the worlds tallest wood construction apartment high rise.. Developed by Cowboy Properties

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:17 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
I believe that we will get a signature tower within he next 3 years. It will be the worlds tallest wood construction apartment high rise.. Developed by Cowboy Properties
Yeah... It will push the limits... a 7 story wood frame tower...

I think when the Mormon church decides to build their new office tower, it will be a new tallest and a signature tower...

Oh, and it does not have to be on Temple Square. It can be on one of the other many blocks they own. (across from Little and Grand America)...

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 7:36 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Yeah... It will push the limits... a 7 story wood frame tower...

I think when the Mormon church decides to build their new office tower, it will be a new tallest and a signature tower...

Oh, and it does not have to be on Temple Square. It can be on one of the other many blocks they own. (across from Little and Grand America)...
Was that a hint?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 8:18 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Was that a hint?

Hell no... I know nothing of potential developments...
I just figure one day they will build something new once they outgrow the C.O.B. and with all the property they have, why does it have to be on Temple Square? Just more wishful thinking on my part...

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West