HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 12:46 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Two items of interest:

*Caltrain carried a record average of 53,000 riders per weekday in June

*A new PPIC poll covered in the Chronicle shows 56 percent of Bay Area workers drive alone to work, with 16 percent of the workforce using public transit to get their jobs....14 percent reported commuting by carpool and 5 percent by bike. The number of solo car commuters in the area declined significantly, from 69 percent a decade ago. "The long-term trend is one of decline," said Baldassare. "People are doing less driving."

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
Modesto Bee covered expansion of ACE into Merced possibly by 2022.

It seems to me that there would be greater ridership potential if ACE actually went straight to San Francisco (possibly via the Dumbarton Bridge), but financing and political will withstanding, I don't know how feasible it would be to do that.
Is there a way to get ACE trains to Oakland? It's a short ferry to SF from the Jack London Square station.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 3:52 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg View Post
Is there a way to get ACE trains to Oakland? It's a short ferry to SF from the Jack London Square station.
Why, you have options today?
1) Take the ACE train all the way to San Jose, then take Caltrain all the way to San Francisco.
2) Take the ACE train all the way to Stockton, then take Amtrak's San Joaquin all the way to Oakland where you can take your ferry to San Francisco.

The purpose of the ACE trains was to connect San Jose to Stockton by train, not Oakland to Stockton.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Why, you have options today?
1) Take the ACE train all the way to San Jose, then take Caltrain all the way to San Francisco.
2) Take the ACE train all the way to Stockton, then take Amtrak's San Joaquin all the way to Oakland where you can take your ferry to San Francisco.

The purpose of the ACE trains was to connect San Jose to Stockton by train, not Oakland to Stockton.
I was proposing it as an alternative to traveling to San Francisco, not San Jose. Why must ACE stay connected to San Jose, and not the rest of the Bay?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 12:26 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
*Caltrain carried a record average of 53,000 riders per weekday in June
Impressive! Electrification can't come soon enough! Have they added additional trains beyond the two added on the bookends last year? I imagine the trains must be quite crowded.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2013, 3:51 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I was proposing it as an alternative to traveling to San Francisco, not San Jose. Why must ACE stay connected to San Jose, and not the rest of the Bay?
And both of my alternate solutions you can take today eventually get you to San Francisco.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2013, 6:39 PM

Quote:
I had never considered that, and thought it was an interesting idea. I presume it's possible, but there are probably track limitations to adding another train to the schedule. I'm not sure if the ROW is also shared with freight of it's exclusively AMTRAK, but I'd assume it was shared with something else.

I also was interested in seeing whether it was possible to take an ACE train and quickly transfer to a Capitol Corridor train. I looked up the ACE and the Capitol Corridor schedules and the westbound ACE 3 arrives at Fremont at 7:10am and the eastbound Capitol Corridor 524 leaves at 7:11am. So, assuming the trains keep a reliable schedule, you could transfer from an ACE train to a Capitol Corridor train. It leaves little breathing room, though, for people who have somewhere to be, especially when you consider the next Capitol Corridor train leaves at 9:38am. Similarly, the eastbound Capitol Corridor 542 train arrives in Fremont at 4:51pm and the ACE leaves at 5:05pm. That would give you a little more leeway if trains were running off schedule. So, in theory, there is one round trip connection each day. I don't think it would be reliable enough for someone to commute on every day on time, but anything is possible. Also, instead of transferring at Jack London Square, they could transfer to BART at the Oakland Coliseum.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 3:23 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
I had never considered that, and thought it was an interesting idea. I presume it's possible, but there are probably track limitations to adding another train to the schedule. I'm not sure if the ROW is also shared with freight of it's exclusively AMTRAK, but I'd assume it was shared with something else.

I also was interested in seeing whether it was possible to take an ACE train and quickly transfer to a Capitol Corridor train. I looked up the ACE and the Capitol Corridor schedules and the westbound ACE 3 arrives at Fremont at 7:10am and the eastbound Capitol Corridor 524 leaves at 7:11am. So, assuming the trains keep a reliable schedule, you could transfer from an ACE train to a Capitol Corridor train. It leaves little breathing room, though, for people who have somewhere to be, especially when you consider the next Capitol Corridor train leaves at 9:38am. Similarly, the eastbound Capitol Corridor 542 train arrives in Fremont at 4:51pm and the ACE leaves at 5:05pm. That would give you a little more leeway if trains were running off schedule. So, in theory, there is one round trip connection each day. I don't think it would be reliable enough for someone to commute on every day on time, but anything is possible. Also, instead of transferring at Jack London Square, they could transfer to BART at the Oakland Coliseum.
From hearing daily traffic reports, it seems certain that the ACE trains are unreliable to run on schedule and are very often late.

Last edited by viewguysf; Aug 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:11 AM
Sonoma Strong

And this is the main reason why the Bay Area's system of broken up transit districts is a poor one - a lack of coordination and cooperation.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 7:25 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
And this is the main reason why the Bay Area's system of broken up transit districts is a poor one - a lack of coordination and cooperation.
I'll agree with your assessment. But, as long as there are multiple cities and counties involved, you''re going to have multiple transportation districts.
I suppose the state could form one transportation district, forcing every city and county in the state to join. But is that really doable, considering the vast differences in the economic base statewide?

While NYC may one large transit agency, it breaks itself up into multiple agencies to provide the different independent services its citizens demand.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 6:35 PM
Sonoma Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
I'll agree with your assessment. But, as long as there are multiple cities and counties involved, you''re going to have multiple transportation districts.
I suppose the state could form one transportation district, forcing every city and county in the state to join. But is that really doable, considering the vast differences in the economic base statewide?

While NYC may one large transit agency, it breaks itself up into multiple agencies to provide the different independent services its citizens demand.
Maybe not statewide but region-wide. I would suggest giving more power and authority to the MTC, but considering their reputation, I'm not sure that's a good idea either, especially since they kind of screw the "less populated" North Bay over.

No real perfect solution, but our current system needs improvement.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:08 PM

In case anyone is interested in learning more about the possible ACE expansion, they have set up a website with presentation materials explaining the project.

By 2018, the goal is to expand to Modesto and increase the number of round trip trains from 4 to 6. Somewhere along the way, they'd also like to reduce the trip time from Stockton to San Jose from 2 hours and 12 minutes to an hour and 45 minutes. By 2022, they'd like to expand to Merced (where ACE would meet up with California High Speed Rail) and increase the round trip trains from 6 to 10. They anticipate (probably hope) that the trip from Merced to San Jose will take 2 hours and 35 minutes.

If this is linking up to CHSR, then it might actually have the political will to happen. After living in NY for four years, it's these type of rail expansions that make more sense to me than BART to Livermore.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:03 AM

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

New east span of Bay Bridge to open Sept. 3
John Wildermuth
Updated 5:46 pm, Thursday, August 15, 2013

The new section of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge was lighted on Tuesday, August 11, 2013, as members of the MTA,
Caltrans and the press took a walking tour of the new structure in San Francisco, Calif.
Photo: Carlos Avila Gonzalez, The Chronicle

The new east span of the Bay Bridge will open after Labor Day weekend, an oversight committee decided Thursday morning - a decision that will require the bridge to close for five days beginning Aug. 28.

Officials said the bridge would close 8 p.m. Aug. 28 and reopen at 5 a.m. Sept. 3.

"The old bridge is not safe in case of a major earthquake," said Steve Heminger, executive director of the Metropolitan Transportation Commission. "Our interest is moving traffic onto the new span as quickly as possible."

The move came after federal officials gave their approval for a temporary plan to shore up the snapped high-strength steel rods that hold seismic stability structures together. A trio of independent authorities also found that the fix is more than adequate to allow traffic to move onto the new bridge while the permanent retrofit is completed, which is expected to be done by December.

"We see no reason to delay the opening of the bridge to traffic," said Vincent Mammano of the Federal Highway Administration.

Thursday's decision came after an oversight panel made up of the top executives of the Bay Area Toll Authority, Caltrans and the California Transportation Commission spent the past few months flip-flopping on a fix and an opening date for the $6.4 billion span - first saying a fix would push the opening until December before another panel came up with a quick fix now endorsed by federal officials.

[...]

Read the rest here: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...#photo-5040052

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 12:28 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

BART had its third-highest ridership yesterday:

"BART spokesman Jim Allison said the system handled a little more than 475,000 riders on Thursday, eclipsing the previous No. 3 ridership record by about 30,000 riders."

Source

Old Posted Sep 1, 2013, 1:37 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

According to the KPIX Channel 5 news at 6:35pm today, BART had its fourth busiest day yesterday.

Thursday: 475,015 - 3rd highest ridership ever
Friday: 457,018 - 4th highest ridership ever

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 1:38 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

It's been a great week for Bay Area Rapid Transit. KPIX just reported yesterday was BART's 2nd busiest Saturday ever.

Thursday: 475,015 - 3rd highest ridership ever
Friday: 457,018 - 4th highest ridership ever
Saturday: 278,858 - second highest ridership on a Saturday ever

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 4:30 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Here's what the empty bridge and freeway approaches looked like this evening from my place.

[IMG]
One Rincon Hill's North Tower rising in front of a closed Bay Bridge by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 3, 2013, 10:05 PM

^ Wow, you really do live up to your screen name!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
Skyriser

MUNI is gearing up to replace all 151 of the unreliable Breda LRVs with 260 new ones from either Kawasaki, Siemens, or CAF. The first 24 cars will arrive for the T subway in 2016, the 151 replacement cars will arrive in 2021-2028, and the remaining 85 will arrive through 2040 to handle anticipated growth.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...to-muni-metro/

Old Posted Sep 18, 2013, 2:27 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
MUNI is gearing up to replace all 151 of the unreliable Breda LRVs with 260 new ones from either Kawasaki, Siemens, or CAF. The first 24 cars will arrive for the T subway in 2016, the 151 replacement cars will arrive in 2021-2028, and the remaining 85 will arrive through 2040 to handle anticipated growth.

http://blog.sfgate.com/cityinsider/2...to-muni-metro/
I'd say it's more than a slight overstatement to use the term "gearing up" since it's going to take 8 to 15 years to replace all of the current cars--they aren't even in first gear yet. At least the current Breda cars are way more reliable than the original Boeing Vertol LRVs. The pace of progress is obviously way too slow considering how many more residents the City will gain during this timeframe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation