HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Chili Bowl restaurant, Herman Schultheis, 1937

One of the six Chili Bowl restaurants, located at 801 N. La Brea Avenue in the Miracle Mile. The neon sign mounted on the roof reads, "Get the Chili Bowl habit!"

LAPL
The West Pico location is currently Mr. Cecil's Rib's. Very good BBQ.

Photo from: http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2010/09/mr-cecils.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 11:37 PM

unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post
Now I'm off to search for hardwood flooring from the second pic...
ProphetM, I found a second photo with the 'hardwood flooring' building. Notice the boxcars floating down the river.

unknown/found on an old cd of mine
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2012 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 12:25 AM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 2:58 PM

Chuckaluck,

I believe that the young lady holding the ostrich plume in your last photo is the fan dancer, Sally Rand. She continued to perform well into her 60's. I had the pleasure of watching one of her last performances at a club on the Sunset Strip in the 1970's.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
Chuckaluck,
I believe that the young lady holding the ostrich plume in your last photo is the fan dancer, Sally Rand. She continued to perform well into her 60's. I had the pleasure of watching one of her last performances at a club on the Sunset Strip in the 1970's.
Cheers,
Jack
Although Sally is most identified with fans, I am informed that the plumage covers one of the last surviving silent film actresses - Mary Carlisle. (Technically she is said to have appeared in silent shorts as a child.) Per Wiki, she was born on Feb 3, 1912. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Carlisle

wiki
Sally (1904-1979):
google

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanlutz View Post
ER, Great shots of the Federal Building. Today I only know it as the United States Courthouse, since there are two other Federal buildings to the east of it now. But it says "And Post Office" so I'm going to have to do a little more research on that. http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/
I never paid much attention to this building and now it seems I've been remiss, for it is clearly a fine example of the period's style for civic buildings. There's a touch of the modern about it, but fine polished stonework, quasi-neoclassical columns, and tricky bronze decorative grillwork have not been done away with altogether.

I wonder if they would let me take pictures inside the lobby?

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Although Sally is most identified with fans, I am informed that the plumage covers one of the last surviving silent film actresses - Mary Carlisle. (Technically she is said to have appeared in silent shorts as a child.) Per Wiki, she was born on Feb 3, 1912. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Carlisle

wiki
Sally (1904-1979):
google
Thanks, Chuckaluck.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 12:12 AM

Hello everyone here in Noirish Los Angeles, I stumbled upon this website a year ago when i was looking for old photos of the 110 tunnels and was amazed by the content of this site. I've been through the whole thread 3 times, all 450 plus pages, and love it each time.

I grew up in Highland Park, and always noticed there were a lot of old buildings and house still around. A lot of the city, on the east side of the river still have many victorian homes, I hope to contribute pictures of these places later in the future.
This site has taught me so much about the history of the city that I love. I dont want to make this too long so I just want to say thanks to everyone here for your amazing pictures and knowledge of my favorite city.

-Steven

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 11:35 AM

Hi Steven, and welcome.

We've talked a bit about Highland Park but as of yet we've not really gone across the river. Funny how that river stills acts as a point of demarcation. Lots of interesting history over there. And, as you point out, lot of surviving Victorian architecture. Look forward to your pics.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 11:47 AM

The raised kiosk traffic officer as late as 1937?

Main at 9th Street, Los Angeles, Herman Schultheis, 1937

This is a view of Main looking north from Ninth to where Spring and Main converge. Interestingly, a raised kiosk with a uniformed police officer is set on top of a pole in the foreground of this corner, perhaps to monitor the complicated intersection. We had seen these kiosks in earlier photos but I don't remember seeing them this late. Signs visible include the Los Angeles City Club (833 South Spring) and the California Bank in the 810 South Spring Building. Pedestrians are waiting in the street for a streetcar.

LAPL

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 12:10 PM

Mayor Frank Shaw hands over the ceremonial scissors, Herman Schultheis, 1937

Mayor Frank Shaw, realising he can't slip them in his pocket, reluctantly hands the ceremonial scissors to actress Sheila Darcy against a backdrop of crowds and businesses at the Highland Avenue street widening dedication in Hollywood. A sliver of the ribbon to be cut is visible on the bottom left. Ms. Darcy, a fine figure of a woman (as the saying goes), would later marry fellow actor Preston Foster.

LAPL

Sheila Darcy cuts the ribbon for dedication, Herman Schultheis, 1937

Mayor Frank Shaw holds up the ribbon just cut by actress Sheila Darcy during the dedication of Highland Avenue. In 1937 Highland Avenue was widened from Cahuenga Boulevard to Melrose Avenue. The dedication ceremony took place on October 13th at Hollywood High School. Edward Brown of the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce was in charge of the program and Mayor Frank Shaw, Sheriff Eugene Biscailuz and actress Sheila Darcy were among the speakers with Ms. Darcy doing the honors of turning one long ribbon into two somewhat shorter ribbons.

LAPL

Talking with Sheila Darcy, Herman Schultheis, 1937

Sheriff Eugene Biscailuz (far left) and another man talk to actress Sheila 'the dragon lady' Darcy on the sidewalk at the Highland Avenue street widening dedication.

LAPL

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 4:43 PM

Highland Park and Garvanza?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6387 and

Garvanza Hotel, 1887 (SW corner of York Blvd and Ave 63.
USC Digital

Before and after, courtesy of frequent contributor GSJansen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33455118@N08/5178424059/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 5:41 PM

Speaking of which, where is gsjansen? I miss his posts. He's a good one. Hope he's okay.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
woo hoo! park at the park in '52

building the underground garage under pershing square 1951

Source: USC Digital Archive http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...CHS-32448?v=hr
More of the same, different perspectives. January 25, 1952
USC Digital

Old Posted Sep 12, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo View Post
It is interesting to see some of the old menu's - but what an interesting address - "1815 1/2 Central Avenue" ?

BTW - any menu's from any of Billy Wilkerson's restaurants or cafes ?

Bilbo
It's not all that unusual stateside, but is more typically found in residential than commercial districts. I'm not sure why this happened, but in many older residential districts there are lots of single family houses that have so-called guesthouses in the back, which are rented out to tenants. In many cases an address ending in "1/2" will be the guesthouse. It's a somewhat curious thing, because the main houses in question are almost always fairly small and ordinary houses themselves, in some cases not much bigger than the guesthouses which their owners rent out. They aren't in any sense stately homes or anything like that.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
MYSTERY photograph.
___

Some of you might think this is down-right silly, but I thought it would be fun to post a mystery photograph.
Can any one of the wonderful geniuses place this rather unique weather vane?

detail/found on one of my old cds.

I will post the answer and complete photograph on Wednesday, Sept. 13th.
Good luck!!
__

As promised....

This amazing weather vane was atop the main dome of the Moorish-style Le Grande Station.
The station, located just south of the First Street viaduct at 2nd Street and Santa Fe Avenue, was the main passenger terminal
of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

detail/ebay

ebay

After the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake the station's monumental dome was removed.
The station continued to serve Santa Fe Railway's passenger terminal (sans dome) until the opening of the Los Angeles Union Station
on May 7, 1939.

below: Here is a view of the once magnificent Santa Fe Station minus the damaged dome on Jan. 26, 1939.

I would love to find a photograph of the interior of the dome. It must have been absolutely 'le grande'.

___

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 1:23 AM

A fascinating cabinet card of a fire brigade in action!

ebay

below: reverse side.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post

Main at 9th Street, Los Angeles, Herman Schultheis, 1937

This is a view of Main looking north from Ninth to where Spring and Main converge. Interestingly, a raised kiosk with a uniformed police officer is set on top of a pole in the foreground of this corner, perhaps to monitor the complicated intersection. We had seen these kiosks in earlier photos but I don't remember seeing them this late. Signs visible include the Los Angeles City Club (833 South Spring) and the California Bank in the 810 South Spring Building. Pedestrians are waiting in the street for a streetcar.

LAPL
Michael,

The kiosk on the corner in your photo of South Main and East Ninth is not a police control box, but rather a Los Angeles Railway/Pacific Electric switchtender's box for controlling the turning of streetcars at that busy 3-way intersection (South Spring Street joins South Main here).

For many years track switches in the street had to be thrown manually, requiring that the motorman exit his car, walk forward and throw the switch and then re-board the car to make the turn onto the desired street. This created unnecessary delays at the City's busier intersections.

Note the very heavy electrical conduit running into the kiosk roof and in both directions on the two streets. This is connected to a control panel used to operate the electric switch motors buried in the street and the signals controlling the movement of the streetcars. Two of those signals can be seen below the street light standard at the extreme right of the photo (They are mounted on a pole hidden by the street light standard) and a third atop the kiosk itself. In addition, note the bell mounted to the underside of the floor of the kiosk. This bell alerted pedestrian traffic to watch for turning streetcars. I am a bit hazy on the relationship of the ACME auto traffic signal to the movement of turning streetcars, but that too may have been controlled by the switchtender when required. Eventually, technology was developed to allow the motorman to throw the switch from his control stand in the streetcar.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Sep 13, 2012 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Highland Park and Garvanza?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=6387 and

Garvanza Hotel, 1887 (SW corner of York Blvd and Ave 63.
USC Digital

Before and after, courtesy of frequent contributor GSJansen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33455118@N08/5178424059/
WOW! great Now and then, simply amazing

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:18 AM

Here's one for Scott...

your cornerstone is on the move...

Courthouse ceremony

A crowd has gathered to remove the cornerstone of the old Los Angeles County Courthouse on May 20, 1936. The first Los Angeles County Courthouse was built in 1891(?) and is also as known as the "Red Sandstone Courthouse." Located at Spring and Temple, this building served as the courthouse until 1933, when it sustained damage in the Long Beach earthquake, and was demolished in 1936.

LAPL

Wig-Wag, Thanks for that infomation concerning the Ninth and Main kiosk. I only remembered the actual motorman controlling the switches from the car.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos