HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 6, 2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I agree, Little Louis' is right up there is the rarified stratosphere of world class culinary experiences. Intimate, very attentive, with an exotic menu and outstanding wine selection. It just has such an odd location though, on the second floor of a non descript building in an industrial park with only a private elevator as an access. Very strange. This restaurant clearly needs a more prominent location.

The only other restaurant in Moncton that compares to Little Louis's is the Windjammer at the Delta Beausejour. Again, consistently world class and attentive service with outstanding menu choices. The Windjammer is consistently a Five Diamond award winner from the CAA.

Moncton is indeed fortunate to have both these restaurants.......
I haven't tried the Windjammer yet. The tasting menu at Little Louis' is hard to beat. I've tried tasting menus at much higher ranked (ie Michelin star) restaurants in the US and I'd put the tasting at Little Louis' right up there among them.

I think the odd location has something to do with the owner of the restaurant also owning that industrial building. In any event, I'd love to see them move to a redeveloped Downing street. Maybe 2-3 floors up overlooking the new plaza.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 2:19 PM

Homestead

A favourite of my family is the Homestead restaurant in Riverview. Consistently good home style food and good service. The only issue is how crowded it gets during the busy times. Lines out the door seem to happen frequently when we go there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 5:48 PM

I've been blessed to have eaten at Little Louis' a couple or three times.
Holy smokes the food there is good. Expensive but really quite fabulous.
I haven't been to the Windjammer in many years so I can't compare, but Little Louis' has to be the top, or at the worst among the top two, restaurants around.
I've had steak there, lamb and last time I had their lobster pasta which was truly to die for - and it was the least expensive thing on the menu!
Bring money though.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 12:14 AM

If you swing by the north during the summer, you have to either have a pulled pork burger or a Jobie's burger from Jobie's mobile kitchen, its the red food truck parked on the causeway in Bathurst. It is consistent and always good!! Pulled pork poutine is to die for also!!

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:10 PM

The second annual Freddy Beach Ribfest starts today and goes through Sunday.

If you go today (thursday), you might want to print off this coupon for 3$ off a half rack rib dinner.

Last year it was really good, and I believe they bought up every last rib in the city to meet the demand, so I'm looking forward to this year. Hopefully the rain holds off for today.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:11 AM

Seen on Facebook:

Quote:
After 35 years Heino is retiring and has sold The John Gyles with the last day for this Where To Eat In Canada Restaurant being Oct 11.

After that the Motel will be home to a 20 Unit Special Needs Home.
John Gyles is a hotel with a fantastic German Restaurant on the old Trans Canada up near Woodstock. They're booking up reservations fast so book soon if you want it one last time.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Seen on Facebook:

John Gyles is a hotel with a fantastic German Restaurant on the old Trans Canada up near Woodstock. They're booking up reservations fast so book soon if you want it one last time.
Interesting. It's a bit nostalgic for me because in 1991 my family was moving from Antigonish to California for a year. Our van's transmission died just down the road from John Gyles and we ended up staying there for a few nights while it was getting fixed. I haven't eaten there in many, many years but I should take a trip up for one last plate of shnitzel.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 1:03 PM

I finally had an opportunity to eat at Catch 22 Lobster Bar in downtown Moncton.
Two thumbs up!
A bit pricey as one might expect, but the quality and service were definitely there.
Strangely, they were out of clams but that didn't matter to us as they loaded us up with steamed mussels instead.
Portions were not over-sized by any stretch but we tried just about everything and it was all very good.
Oysters Rockefeller were the best I've ever tasted as was the white-fleshed fish that came with the Fishermen's Platter (sorry I can't recall if it was halibut, flounder or whatever.) It literally melted in your mouth.
The lobsters were done to perfection and the presentation was good.
There is a real art to properly preparing fish. Most places over-cook it. These guys, however, have it down perfectly.
I had the cheesecake for desert, which was nothing to get excited about. Others had creme brule and thought it was heavenly. One ordered bananas flambe and we all had a taste. THAT was the go-to item for dessert. Scrumptious and made right at your table with dramatic flames shooting high during the prep.
A nice night all around.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 1:55 PM

It took awhile, but I finally made it to the Tide & Bore Gastropub.
You know how everyone raves about their wild boar poutine?
They are correct to do so. Do not deny yourself this gastronomic pleasure.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 3:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
It took awhile, but I finally made it to the Tide & Bore Gastropub.
You know how everyone raves about their wild boar poutine?
They are correct to do so. Do not deny yourself this gastronomic pleasure.
I'm sure it's good, but I view poutine to be an abomination and I value my cardiovascular health with such sufficient regard that I would never allow poutine to touch my lips.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sure it's good, but I view poutine to be an abomination and I value my cardiovascular health with such sufficient regard that I would never allow poutine to touch my lips.
LOL. You don't know what you're missing...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 5:37 PM

I'm good. I have no heart.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:52 PM

Just a heads up. Skipper Jacks is finally reopened (yesterday at supper) with a whole new look, new stuff on the menu (lobster grilled cheese sammich looks intriguing) and their old favourites.
I'm not at all sure what the delay was, but anyway, they're back.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 11:52 AM

Not sure the best spot to put this, but since NB has both St Hubert and Swiss Chalet restaurants, I'll stick it here.

Swiss Chalet owners Cara buying St-Hubert for $537M

Quote:
The Quebec-based St-Hubert restaurant business has agreed to be acquired by the owner of the Swiss Chalet chain for $537 million, creating a rotisserie-chicken titan among Canadian restaurants.

In addition to 120 outlets, almost all of them in Quebec, Cara Operations Ltd. will acquire two food manufacturing plants, two distribution centres and a real estate portfolio.
I wonder if they'll keep the two brands active. St Hubert in NB at least has been pushing the Express format that's probably different enough from the Swiss Chalet style for both chains to be distinct.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Not sure the best spot to put this, but since NB has both St Hubert and Swiss Chalet restaurants, I'll stick it here.

Swiss Chalet owners Cara buying St-Hubert for $537M

I wonder if they'll keep the two brands active. St Hubert in NB at least has been pushing the Express format that's probably different enough from the Swiss Chalet style for both chains to be distinct.
I'm sure they will. There's tremendous brand recognition and loyalty for St Hubert in Quebec. As for here, all three plucking palaces in Moncton (2 Swiss Chalets and 1 St Hubert) are all disgustingly busy. I can't imagine any upside to rebranding the Moncton St Huberts location. I think it'll be a status quo sort of thing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 6:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I'm sure they will. There's tremendous brand recognition and loyalty for St Hubert in Quebec. As for here, all three plucking palaces in Moncton (2 Swiss Chalets and 1 St Hubert) are all disgustingly busy. I can't imagine any upside to rebranding the Moncton St Huberts location. I think it'll be a status quo sort of thing.
If they want to be 100% certain to kill the chain in Quebec they'll change it to Swiss Chalet (or Chalet Suisse...).

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 1:51 PM

New food truck coming to downtown Fredericton

Quote:
A Mexican/Spanish food truck is opening up on King Street at the end of the month, featuring tacos and burritos, along with vegetarian and gluten-free options.

Chunky's Food Truck is the brainchild of a couple from Guatemala and Japan who moved to Fredericton to fulfill their dream of owning their own business.

The food truck will be located beside Relish across from the Tannery.
Sounds interesting; I'll probably try to swing by and try it if its open when I'm around.

I notice the parking lot next to Relish (in front of the garage, next to Richard Simonds) has been snow-fenced off for a while now. I wonder if that's where it will be going?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 10:59 PM
Spem Reduxit

HEY ALL SJ'ers...if you are craving awesome fish&chips, or my absolute favorite, fish cakes and baked beans. Then head on over to Roy's Seafood and Grill here on the west side (beside Olsen's). You will not be disappointed!

No longer are Bob's or Comeau's kings of the hot oil / grill for artery filling seafood grease. There's a new sheriff in town.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Se...04985762929803

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk then Run View Post
HEY ALL SJ'ers...if you are craving awesome fish&chips, or my absolute favorite, fish cakes and baked beans. Then head on over to Roy's Seafood and Grill here on the west side (beside Olsen's). You will not be disappointed!

No longer are Bob's or Comeau's kings of the hot oil / grill for artery filling seafood grease. There's a new sheriff in town.

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Roys-Se...04985762929803
Aye--go there! Was just about to post about Roy's myself haha! Quality seafood and Roy's a great fella too. Fish cakes are a stand out

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 12:37 PM

Saw this on one of the FB groups:

MTY looks beyond the food court with $248-million deal for Imvescor

Quote:
Stanley Ma's MTY Food Group Inc. is making a friendly bid to acquire Imvescor Restaurant Group Inc. for $248-million in cash and stock, a transaction aimed at diversifying the business by boosting the number of casual sit-down restaurants in its stable.

Those chains include well-known Quebec and Maritimes banners, such as Baton Rouge, Score's Chicken & Ribs and Pizza Delight. Imvescor had spent the past three years streamlining and modernizing its operations, having made its own sizable acquisition earlier this year, buying breakfast chain Ben & Florentine.

Mr. Ma, whose company's numerous food-court and counter-service brands include Jugo Juice, Taco Time, Mucho Burrito and Thai Express, said the deal will increase revenue from casual dining restaurants under the company's umbrella to 22 per cent from 10 per cent of the total.
So Pizza Delight's owners are moving even further from its roots. It'll be interesting to see how the brands develop going forward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces