HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 12:31 AM

Where did all the NS projects go haha? Your map should have a highway to Sydney, highway 113, twinning through to Bridgewater and Kentville if not Greenwood or even Digby (might as well twin to the base in case you need it?) controlled access both ways to Yarmouth, I also am usure of the need to build a seperate highway to Fredericton? I understand I northern bypass of Saint John, because that was actually an option instead of the thruway. On PEI the whole Charlottetown bypass should be twinned and extending around Cornwall on the right of way purchased by the Binns government.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 2:36 AM

I suspect those 2 routes south of Fredericton are just either/or's. Some have suggested twinning the existing route, others have suggested rerouting around the base( I think). Neither are particularly probable but it's been suggested.

Looking at that second route, if, in a hundred years, growth and traffic warrants it, the Bypass route would be an easy extension to Route 1 and the Maine highway at/around the border.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Show's how Freddy centric I am. I hear 3rd Bridge and I figure it's for Freddy. I never thought that Saint John needs a 3rd bridge too.
That's Halifax, not SJ. SJ DEFINITELY doesn't need a third bridge, bot for quite a while.

I did forget about the 113, I even thought about it and just forgot to draw it.

I suppose I should do a list. I will update this list as per everyone's suggestions.

NB
Proposed
  • Route 1 Riverview South Bypass
  • Route 7 twinning OR New Fredericton-Welsford Highway
  • Route 8 Miramichi North Bypass
  • Route 8 Super Two Miramichi-Bathurst.
  • Route 11 controlled access or twinning to Miramichi
  • Route 11 Caraquet Bypass
  • Route 15 Twinned to Cap-Pelé or Botsford
  • Welsford-Quispamsis Freeway
  • Third Bridge in Fredericton
  • Route 105 Fredericton Ring Rd. Extension to Marysville Bypass

Confirmed/Under Construction
  • Route 11 Twinned to Richibucto
  • Route 11 Chatham Bypass

NS
Proposed
  • 101 Twinning to Digby (Not sure if proposed or confirmed)
  • 102 Extension to Mackay Bridge
  • 102 Six Lanes from 118 to Bayers Rd.
  • 104 Twinning to Canso Causeway
  • 105 Controlled-Access to Sydney
  • 107 Extension to 102
  • 107 Cherry Brook Bypass
  • 111 Extension (Third Harbor Bridge, Northwest Arm Drive to 102)
  • Burnside-Sackville Expressway

Confirmed/Under Construction
  • 111 Third Halifax Bridge
  • Highway 113

PEI
Confirmed
  • Extension of Charlottetown Bypass beyond Cornwall

Last edited by Franco401; Oct 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
That's Halifax, not SJ. SJ DEFINITELY doesn't need a third bridge, bot for quite a while.
My double bad. I should be better at reading a map than that. I guess I was thinking it was just NB highway projects and knew it wasn't Freddy so figured it would be SJ.

Freddy 3rd bridge is going to be needed probably in 20 years. We'll have to look seriously at it in 5-10 to start work/planning on it (just when Mactaquac comes due. *sigh*). Hopefully by then we can get some economic turnaround so it won't be as much of a budget buster.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
My double bad. I should be better at reading a map than that. I guess I was thinking it was just NB highway projects and knew it wasn't Freddy so figured it would be SJ.

Freddy 3rd bridge is going to be needed probably in 20 years. We'll have to look seriously at it in 5-10 to start work/planning on it (just when Mactaquac comes due. *sigh*). Hopefully by then we can get some economic turnaround so it won't be as much of a budget buster.
The 2010 Traffic Study said it would be needed in 20 years but the growth of the city has slowed since then. I'm still shooting for 2030.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 3:33 PM
ハルウララ

The only issues I see with the SJ/Freddy either/or Route 7 Highways on that map is that all of that land is CFB Gagetown and I believe land agreements between the Feds (bases) and the Province (highway) is a bit sticky. Gagetown is the largest base in Canada based on sq.km and I believe Route 7 is the only (if not one of a few) where a provincial highway runs through its length for such distance.

I hadn't seen anyone discussing a Welsford-Fredericton Bypass of Route 7 to Quispamsis prior to this thread. Not entirely sure how well it would be received and/or its usefulness between Quispamsis and Welsford.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 6:37 PM
Spem Reduxit

That route would cost a lot of $$$$
Lots of water to cross

Old Posted Oct 5, 2014, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The only issues I see with the SJ/Freddy either/or Route 7 Highways on that map is that all of that land is CFB Gagetown and I believe land agreements between the Feds (bases) and the Province (highway) is a bit sticky. Gagetown is the largest base in Canada based on sq.km and I believe Route 7 is the only (if not one of a few) where a provincial highway runs through its length for such distance.

I hadn't seen anyone discussing a Welsford-Fredericton Bypass of Route 7 to Quispamsis prior to this thread. Not entirely sure how well it would be received and/or its usefulness between Quispamsis and Welsford.
The Fredericton-Welsford section would run directly into Route 7 where the Welsford Bypass ends now. The part to Quispamsis is a separate route which would receive its own number. Both were proposed here (scroll down for Quispam route as well as other nonsense). I don't agree with the Quispam route, as it would encourage sprawl on the peninsula and take a lot of highway traffic away from Saint John. I'm not a huge fan of the other part either, as it would begin in Lincoln, taking traffic away from Oromocto and costing a lot more. Regular twinning is the best option, but right-of-way issues (as well as NB's really wide medians on all our divided highways would get in the way.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
as well as NB's really wide medians on all our divided highways
I would hope for them to make an exception in the event of a Route 7 twinning. A concrete median like what's already in place on the Welsford bypass would be just dandy.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I would hope for them to make an exception in the event of a Route 7 twinning. A concrete median like what's already in place on the Welsford bypass would be just dandy.
My thoughts exactly. They were used in Welsford because they didn't want to blast too much rock, but right-of-way issues, as well as the animal fencing installed a few years back, means a divider is the best option. Problem is, there are several points where Base roads intersect with Route 7, and we sure aren't building overpasses for them. Here's a solution:

The base roads would have right-in/right-out ramps, and new dirt roads would be built on either side OUTSIDE the animal fencing to facilitate access to left turns. To make a turn, you would follow the dirt road (or turn right onto the highway) and follow to either Welsford, Petersville Hill, a new interchange at Geary or a new interchange halfway between Geary and Petersville.

(In hindsight, it would be better to have RI/RO ramps OR a new road, but I made both. Oops.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:30 PM

"Welsford-Quispamsis Freeway"

What the hell is this crap?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
"Welsford-Quispamsis Freeway"

What the hell is this crap?
It's a really bad idea, that's what it is. It was proposed here and I only included it to be all-inclusive. The only benefit would be taking traffic away from the Mackay between Rothesay and SJ, which would completely crush the 6-lane proposal from 2010. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be so good for the Saint John economy.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:15 AM

Also, I noticed something. The Welsford Bypass was built as a 4-lane, but the 4-Lane section ends here and it reverts to a 2-Lane. This might indicate that the DOT isn't sure about new route vs. twinning. KIND OF LIKE THIS THREAD.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Also, I noticed something. The Welsford Bypass was built as a 4-lane, but the 4-Lane section ends here and it reverts to a 2-Lane. This might indicate that the DOT isn't sure about new route vs. twinning. KIND OF LIKE THIS THREAD.
It would have been a horrid expense (well, the whole thing is a horrid waste) to twin the bridge over 101. Since the bypass goes over a mountaintop, there would have been at the very least passing lanes on both uphill sections. It looks to me more like they twinned so that traffic could safely pass going uphill and get back to speed downhill and stopping before 101 was just prudent to not spend too much money, rather than hedging bets. Just an opinion.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
It would have been a horrid expense (well, the whole thing is a horrid waste) to twin the bridge over 101. Since the bypass goes over a mountaintop, there would have been at the very least passing lanes on both uphill sections. It looks to me more like they twinned so that traffic could safely pass going uphill and get back to speed downhill and stopping before 101 was just prudent to not spend too much money, rather than hedging bets. Just an opinion.
Agreed.

I really can't see them building a new route between Fredericton and Saint John. It doesn't make much sense.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Yeah, good point. The other thing is that with the blasting they had to do, twinning it later would require more blasting, shutting down the road. They probably just built the four-lane section now to save later, and made the two-lane section because it actually reflects the traffic.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:59 PM

OK, so with the twinning of Route 11 NBDOT will be eliminating the cloverleaves at 11/15 and 11/134. I propose eliminating all of them in the province, including 2/15 and 2/16. 16 should be easy, a basic trumpet or even diamond should do. Here is my proposition fro 2/15:

It's a modified design, directly inspired by the 107/118 interchange in Dartmouth (HRM residents, I would appreciate feedback on whether that junction works well). Route 2 runs under instead of over, and new overpasses would be built on Route 15, each carrying 2 lanes of through traffic and 1 lane of the ramps toward Moncton or Shediac. The red lines indicate dividers.

The primary benefit is to eliminate any weaving, which would become a huge issue if Greater Moncton continues to grow or picks up any speed. If Moncton were to receive the same growth 2011-16 as it did 2006-11 (unlikely, but bear with me), the CMA population would then be over 150k, and that's a lot of people who want to go to Parlee Beach, Bouctouche and PEI. This could be a very important improvement when the time comes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:40 PM

This configuration in Quebec City might work well for the 2/15 interchange. It would also eliminate weaving and require the construction of 2 new overpasses (assumed similar cost). In addition, the existing overpasses could be maintained and there would be a direct path for through traffic on both highways (no deviations for route 15).

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Outer Ring Road No More Dangerous than Others: RNC

The RNC says despite the public perception, there's nothing to suggest the Outer Ring Road is any more dangerous than any other road in the province. A 20-year-old woman died Sunday after the vehicle she was driving flipped and landed on its roof in heavy rain and fog. Police say the woman wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was driving too fast for the weather conditions.

RNC Sgt. Paul Didham says while the Outer Ring is one of the busiest stretches of highway, the accidents occurring are primarily due to driver error.

Didham says if there is poor lighting, or heavy rain or snow, then people need to slow down. He says the weekend tragedy is a clear example of what can happen when motorists do not drive according to the conditions. Didham says safe driving habits will lower the risk of accident.

Didham says drivers need to remember that the posted speed limits are set with optimal conditions in mind. He says as the weather changes, motorists need to adjust their driving habits.

He says depending on the conditions, extreme speeds could be 100 km/hr. Didham says with clear roads the RNC has caught drivers on the ORR travelling 150-175 km/hr, but regardless of the conditions he says that is too fast.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...50510&latest=1

This article brings up an interesting thought: if drivers aren't going to take care of themselves when driving, what are some possible things that can be done on our highways to try and prevent fatal accidents?

I've always been a big advocate for lighting on the entire ORR just based on how dark it is up there, along with the number of moose which litter the highway. The only part of the highway system in St. John's that is lit is about 4-5 km of Pitts Memorial right outside of downtown, on a section of highway where the grating of the nearby cliffs would make it near impossible for any moose to enter the highway.

Ruts forming in the roads also seems to be a huge issue on the ORR highway as well. These can be repaired, but it seems as if it needs to be done annually. Do you guys think that studded tires could be at fault for this? This is a theory that always gets thrown about, and one I can't speak on as I have no real knowledge about road engineering. Anyone else have any ideas? Do we even need studded tires in this part of the country?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
This configuration in Quebec City might work well for the 2/15 interchange. It would also eliminate weaving and require the construction of 2 new overpasses (assumed similar cost). In addition, the existing overpasses could be maintained and there would be a direct path for through traffic on both highways (no deviations for route 15).
I like that one, too. Better, even, since it doesn't disrupt normal traffic during and could be cheaper since it uses 1-lane overpasses instead of 3-Lane and Route 2 wouldn't have to be graded under Route 15.

*Ninja Mockup*

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces