Tract 140 (Glencairn-Mona Drive area) $340,309
Tract 86 (North Rosedale) $339,456
Tract 125 (Moore Park) $303,488
Tract 138 (Lawrence Park) $288,768
Tract 266 (Hogg's Hollow) $273,408
Tract 130 (Forest Hill) $266,640
Tract 265 (Bayview-Lawrence area) $264,363

How about some other cities?

Note that average or per capita incomes will not be released until October 25.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 12:58 PM

Median income of 340k.. jeez. That's nuts.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Median income of 340k.. jeez. That's nuts.
It can't be that unbelievable. Two working professionals, in their peak earning years... Why not?

I think it probably speaks more to the areas with a less-diverse housing stock. Don't imagine there are too many studio apartments or basement suites in any of those areas.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:44 PM

Would love to see West Vancouver's.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 6:25 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
It can't be that unbelievable. Two working professionals, in their peak earning years... Why not?

I think it probably speaks more to the areas with a less-diverse housing stock. Don't imagine there are too many studio apartments or basement suites in any of those areas.
That doesn't take into account most household incomes only have two incomes when it's needed. You definitely don't need two at 350K.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
LOL, West Vancouver, Chinese money laundering central? The median is a paltry $89,808, less than North Van's $104k, but then I guess the residents of North Van actually pay taxes.

http://www.nsnews.com/news/census-re...mes-1.22718062

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
That doesn't take into account most household incomes only have two incomes when it's needed. You definitely don't need two at 350K.
Sure, if one person in the household is making $350k, both spouses don't necessarily need to work, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't. In my experience, it seems that more often than not, the ambitious, career driven people attract one another, so it's even more likely for two professionals to be contributing to the household income, than not. Anecdotal, I know, but it does perhaps explain why some of these census tracts are so out-of-skew compared to the Canadian average.

My point was that if you do have, say, two late-forties professionals that are well into their careers, it's not unreasonable to think that their combined earnings would be at that median level.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:18 PM

I feel like it would be impossible to live in Vancouver on a dual income of only $90K.

I feel like that would be hard in Calgary. Let alone Van.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
I feel like it would be impossible to live in Vancouver on a dual income of only $90K.

Why? Everyone assumes that you absolutely HAVE to purchase a home when you can in fact rent, like most of the rest of the planet does. It also assumes that you HAVE to have children when many people may decide not to. $90K will allow you to live a pretty good life if your ambitions are not a detached house and two children.

It really is such a North American mentality to feel a god given right to be able to purchase a detached house.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACT7 View Post
Why? Everyone assumes that you absolutely HAVE to purchase a home when you can in fact rent, like most of the rest of the planet does. It also assumes that you HAVE to have children when many people may decide not to. $90K will allow you to live a pretty good life if your ambitions are not a detached house and two children.

It really is such a North American mentality to feel a god given right to be able to purchase a detached house.
$90 K dual income (i.e. sheltering, feeding, clothing, entertaining, transporting two people) is roughly $2800 take home bi weekly? How much is say an 700 sq ft apartment in Vancouver?

If you're making $90 K and live alone then that is a different story.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:

Very true, though to be fair BC has had horrible protection for renters during 16 years of BC Liberal rule. If you want people to feel comfortable renting there need to be stronger regulations.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:11 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, West Vancouver, Chinese money laundering central? The median is a paltry $89,808, less than North Van's $104k, but then I guess the residents of North Van actually pay taxes.

West Van has a lot of old money and people who are property rich.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 9:26 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:

Actually, it's the other way around:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ownership_rate

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 10:59 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

I assume we're posting before-tax numbers? Those Toronto figures are incredible considering that's only the median.

Anyway, here are the 5 CTs in the Saint John CMA with the highest before-tax median family income:

110.01 - $139,492 (Old Rothesay - primarily old money; highest-income CT in New Brunswick)
120.03 - $126,976 (Quispamsis - new money)
120.04 - $122,510 (also Quispamsis)
27.01 - $104,667 (Cedar Point, Millidgeville - highest income CT within city limits)
25.02 - $101,632 (Upper West Side)

And just because it is illustrative of just how unequal the SJ region is, here are the 5 lowest-income CTs, all of which are distressed inner-city neighbourhoods:

6 - $29,530 (public housing in the Waterloo Village neighbourhood)
19 - $34,048 (area known as The Valley - cut off from the Uptown by rail and highway)
7 - $34,816 (the rest of Waterloo Village - lost 20% of its population from 2011-2016)
10 - $35,767 (Lower South End - lost 14% of its population from 2011-2016)
23 - $38,528 (Old North End - lost 15% of its population from 2011-2016)

And here's a quick and dirty map - greens are higher income, purples are lower income. I've highlighted the single highest- and lowest-income CTs in yellow - I'll let you decipher which is which.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 12:48 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post

Quite doable in Calgary but our mortgage payments were never over $1,000 a month, we never had a car payment over $250 a month and we never had our kids in daycare or before/after school care. My wife stayed home and had some on the side businesses while I worked full time, we also only ran one vehicle for over a decade - really, it's all about priorities and because we didn't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses, it kept our expenses down. Our kids were also able to walk to all three levels of public schooling which also kept expenses down.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

No that would be Richmond. West Vancouver is mostly Canadian and British Caucasians with some wealthy Persians.

And are BC cities divided into tracts like in the op?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:14 AM
HVAC guru

^ It's been a while but I remember when I lived in Vancouver, multi million dollar estates being bought and abandoned, creating a pseudo- ghetto in some upscale neighbourhoods.

I don't think that's happening too much anymore. The condo market is now where it's at for absentee ownership

I think in almost any city you see tracts. In Vancouver metro I'd say they're quite identifiable.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
West Vancouver is a suburb of 40,000 people, not a single census tract. It also has a rather aged population and more mixed housing stock, which "penalizes" income figures somewhat.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 2:26 AM

Median family income in the municipality of West Van is $120,893. A very high 28% of the population is 65+. 55% of dwellings are detached houses and 39% are apartments.

(I've been using family because that excludes 1-person households which have lower incomes on the whole).

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Median family income in the municipality of West Van is $120,893. A very high 28% of the population is 65+. 55% of dwellings are detached houses and 39% are apartments.

(I've been using family because that excludes 1-person households which have lower incomes on the whole).
Was just gonna say there must be some very high incomes in some West Vancouver tracts, but with most wealthy people there being retired is income considered zero then? And most houses are gonna be an empty nest couple not family per se.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada