HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 6:51 PM
Modulator

More Shade, Art, Bike Racks Budgeted For Downtown Phoenix

An article that has some info that was presented to the Downtown, Aviation, Economy and Innovation Subcommittee on Sept. 6th on proposed Downtown enhancements (not sure how to post the .PDF, so you'll have to go to the article to see the proposed enhancements).

One item I found of particular interest, "create more residential and commercial infill-especially mid rise and high rise". Wonder what else we could have coming for us in the coming year?

Quote:
By Christina Estes
Published: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 8:03am
Updated: Monday, September 11, 2017 - 8:40am

More public art, bike racks and shade are coming to downtown Phoenix and a certain group of property owners are expected to cover the costs.

They are part of the downtown Enhanced Municipal Services District (EMSD). It was created in 1990 to provide extra public services, paid for by assessments on property owners within the district. The area is generally bounded by Fillmore Street, 7th Street, 3rd Avenue and the railroad tracks south of Jackson Street.

Dan Klocke is executive director for Downtown Phoenix, Inc., a community development group, which has a contract with Phoenix to collect assessments and oversee plans. During a recent city subcommittee meeting, he said enhancing the public realm remains a top priority.

“It means just having a great environment in downtown,” Klocke said. “So, it means having experiences and interactions that is with restaurants and retail, making sure that the streets and sidewalks are full of people with events and festivals so that downtown is always vibrant. We want to make sure that when people are walking along, it’s interesting, there’s public art, there’s shade.”

Other priorities include homeless outreach and education, supporting city initiatives and reaching out to businesses. Klocke said his team also contacts new downtown employees to share information about events and businesses.

“So we’re actually taking them on some pub crawls and introducing them all to great things downtown,” he said. “And we do this in order for them to feel welcome in downtown and to get the word out to other companies so that they too come down here.”

The District’s Board of Directors wants a 4.79 percent increase in next year’s budget. According to a city report, the total increase is approximately $175,724 and would be distributed among 768 parcels in the district.

On Oct. 4, the city council will be asked to adopt the assessment diagram, tentatively adopt the budget and provide notice of a public hearing. Affected property owners must be notified and a public hearing held before the council votes on the District’s final 2018 budget.
http://kjzz.org/content/533217/more-...wntown-phoenix

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:07 PM

Finally, Muse, located on 46th St and Thomas has some equipment and movement. Anyone know anything more specific on tenants?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratmanaz View Post
Finally, Muse, located on 46th St and Thomas has some equipment and movement. Anyone know anything more specific on tenants?
I don't know what project that is? Shopping center? Another apartment complex? Same as the Muse at Central?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
That's awesome news. Seeing Luhrs with more streetfront retail is huge! Phoenix, you're starting to act like a big city.....
Let's hope the Security Building can catch some of that action! Otherwise, great stuff!

In additional news, has anyone noticed the construction on 1st street between Roosevelt and I'd say Pierce? It's pretty intensive with the asphalt ripped up and both lanes pushed to the shoulder. I wonder if it's for the street improvement that's adding on-street parking, bike lanes, and wider sidewalks?

EDIT: Seems my question has been answered via KJZZ http://kjzz.org/content/534210/more-...ments-underway

Last edited by Phxguy; Sep 11, 2017 at 7:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Let's hope the Security Building can catch some of that action! Otherwise, great stuff!

In additional news, has anyone noticed the construction on 1st street between Roosevelt and I'd say Pierce? It's pretty intensive with the asphalt ripped up and both lanes pushed to the shoulder. I wonder if it's for the street improvement that's adding on-street parking, bike lanes, and wider sidewalks?
I was under the impression the security building wouldn't get any action until the Madison Street Jail was done and the County Prosecutor office moves in?

Even then I really wish the Security building, westward HO and the old post office were open to public commercial occupation, those are great buildings that the county and city are just sitting on, horribly underutilized.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I was under the impression the security building wouldn't get any action until the Madison Street Jail was done and the County Prosecutor office moves in?

Even then I really wish the Security building, westward HO and the old post office were open to public commercial occupation, those are great buildings that the county and city are just sitting on, horribly underutilized.
The Madison Street Jail improvement isn't expected to be completed until 2019. I hope it won't be that long until retail is seen in the Security Building. Like you said, it's a waste of a great building. But I can't imagine why the upstairs tenants would be affecting the retail component.

And we all know the Westward Ho should be returned to hotel status. Move the seniors into their own, "specially-made for seniors" tower. Tempe doesn't seem to be having an issue with this.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 7:49 PM

More news out of the pipeline, new tenant announced for One Renaissance Tower.

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/20...issance-tower/

As far as updates go, today is on fire!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 8:53 PM

That's actually a pretty big deal, shows faith in the continued growth of Phoenix's tech and startup sector.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
San Carlos: Centrico (sounds like this is the Mexican restaurant we were all trying to guess)
Yes. Taco shop, much lower price point than Chico Malo. This is the owner of Bar Smith's new project.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:46 PM

New owner for large portions of Park Central Mall:

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...tral-mall.html

Only plan to rennovate--no plans for increased height/density:

Quote:
Harper said the renovations will likely not add additional height or density to the existing Park Central development but will instead renovate and modernize existing structures.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 10:54 PM
Skyriser

I'm actually glad they're not proposing height and density--the market isn't asking for more office at this time, residential with everything under construction seems risky.

Renovating the place and letting it again become its own nexus over time seems far the better idea. Plaza is a decent enough development firm as well.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:

EDIT: Seems my question has been answered via KJZZ http://kjzz.org/content/534210/more-...ments-underway
From the article:

"what we’ll do is we’ll remove traffic lanes from First Street, it’ll become a two way street"

Does he know First Street is currently a two-way street? And it currently only has one lane in each direction?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 11:23 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It's on the agenda for the 9/11 Encanto VPC meeting. Requesting a change from 14.5 dwelling units per acre to 97 dwelling units per acre. Staff recommends approval. About a month ago the nice lady that takes my order told me that they had no immediate plans but that there was some technical reason why it would be easier to get the change now than it would be in the future. Not sure I believe that.
The change was unanimously approved by the Encanto committee Monday night. This was not a zoning change but a text amendment to the Downtown Code. It takes a different route than a zoning case but ends up at City Council in mid-December. Larry Lazarus, representing the applicant, spoke as if the car wash was going away fairly quickly.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 1:51 AM

Just noticed the Chase Building's ugly twin on walk back to our apt. Manhattan, 56th and 3rd... ha!

PJ Clarkes on the right

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 4:12 PM

The parking garage for those apartments north of Hance Park is going up. Also the development closer to Central by the library has gone vertical.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 8:28 PM
BANNED

I literally had to do a double take! I though, look how much traffic and density there is...oh, duh. That building looks remarkably like Chase Tower.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
The parking garage for those apartments north of Hance Park is going up. Also the development closer to Central by the library has gone vertical.
Macayo's, The library apt block, and the North of Hance apt and office, the Stewart, Central Park East, Block 23 and Arizona Center are all under construction with dirt moving.

Now if we could get Derby, The rest of Proxy block (not much hope IMO), Barrister, The Filmore going soon that would be good.

Some other projects that seem to have dropped off the face of the earth: Lot next to the Spaghetti Factory? Phoenix Biomed campus? 4th ave jail remodel? Capitol Lofts? Central and Camelback station Tower? former BMO tower? Apartment building just south of that corner on both sides of the street?

And what about the Central Station RFP? Why haven't they issued a new one since the last attempt died?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:47 AM

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ari...oenix-property

No need to speculate what will happen here. The Space 55 building next door has been bought as well by an "unknown" party. The same tune is played time and again. Wonder how soon it will be flattened for another concrete fortress of wonder!

This city pisses me off. 😡

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
This city pisses me off.
Really gonna miss that crack haven situated on one of the most visible lots Downtown

UofA's other two buildings fronting 7th St. are some of the best architecture in PHX.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:23 PM

How much can the biomed campus grow before it isolates 7th street from downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest