HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
I LOVED seeing all the cranes along the lake today as I drove by for the first time in a few weeks. Would be nice to see that in downtown Phoenix as well.

How many stories is the tallest Marina Heights building supposed to be?
250' (16 stories), the one that is currently the tallest is going to be 160' (10 stories).

221’-8” 16-stories (furthest west building)
253’ 16-stories (currently at 1 floor above ground)
111’-4” 6-stories (middle complex)
168’ 10-stories (tallest so far, currently at 7 floors above ground)
250’ 16-stories furthest east building)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)
70’-6” 8-stories (parking garage)

HFL 3 (which now has a dozer, 2 back hoes, & scraper on site is proposed to be 10 stories & I think around 150', while the tallest currently on site is 180'. West sixth tower 1 is at 255'. Just to compare

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
250' (16 stories), the one that is currently the tallest is going to be 160' (10 stories).

221’-8” 16-stories (furthest west building)
253’ 16-stories (currently at 1 floor above ground)
111’-4” 6-stories (middle complex)
168’ 10-stories (tallest so far, currently at 7 floors above ground)
250’ 16-stories furthest east building)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)
20’ 1-story (retail)

HFL 3 (which now has a dozer, 2 back hoes, & scraper on site is proposed to be 10 stories & I think around 150', while the tallest currently on site is 180'. West sixth tower 1 is at 255'. Just to compare
Thanks for this information....so if the tallest MH building is 253 feet tall, then it will only be 2 feet shorter than the West Sixth tower at 255 feet? Is that correct?

The other day on the news they were stating that the demolition of the upper deck of Sun Devil stadium will allow for great lake views....but if the MH buildings are that tall won't those block the view of the lake? lol

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
Thanks for this information....so if the tallest MH building is 253 feet tall, then it will only be 2 feet shorter than the West Sixth tower at 255 feet? Is that correct?

The other day on the news they were stating that the demolition of the upper deck of Sun Devil stadium will allow for great lake views....but if the MH buildings are that tall won't those block the view of the lake? lol
The renderings showed pretty decent view corridors preserved for both the Butte and SDS. Hopefully, the finished product follows through in that regard.

Seeing that list makes me wish this were somehow built downtown. The view from the 202 will be great, but from anywhere else, W6 will continue to stand alone (with the gray box that Hub looks like from the distance). Really hope the 21-story Ash building is the real deal. And, if USA Place is still on, I"ll always wish they went higher and included at least 1 more tower. But, hey, I'll take a luxury midrise there over Chilis any day.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
The renderings showed pretty decent view corridors preserved for both the Butte and SDS. Hopefully, the finished product follows through in that regard.

Seeing that list makes me wish this were somehow built downtown. The view from the 202 will be great, but from anywhere else, W6 will continue to stand alone (with the gray box that Hub looks like from the distance). Really hope the 21-story Ash building is the real deal. And, if USA Place is still on, I"ll always wish they went higher and included at least 1 more tower. But, hey, I'll take a luxury midrise there over Chilis any day.
Agreed, while downtown is starting to look much better, there is still a gap. I still believe there will be towers at Monti's and NE corner of 5th & Ash that will be at least as tall as Gateway center...which will provide a connection for the lake and downtown Tempe. There are still many sites in the core which have yet to be developed.

Also, I believe we will see a tower in the area of 5th & Mill, eventually. That area is prime land and there are a couple buildings in the area that can be knocked down for the accommodation of a mid or high rise.

By the way, the crane they are using on site at Hanover is massive. It is about 250 feet high.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Agreed, while downtown is starting to look much better, there is still a gap. I still believe there will be towers at Monti's and NE corner of 5th & Ash that will be at least as tall as Gateway center...which will provide a connection for the lake and downtown Tempe. There are still many sites in the core which have yet to be developed.

Also, I believe we will see a tower in the area of 5th & Mill, eventually. That area is prime land and there are a couple buildings in the area that can be knocked down for the accommodation of a mid or high rise.

By the way, the crane they are using on site at Hanover is massive. It is about 250 feet high.
I don't know. I don't see any buildings being demolished anytime soon, as the street presence is pretty much perfect. The best bet for towers were on the lake, and to the east and west of downtown. Unfortunately, ASU pretty much took over College Ave, which could've ultimately become an eastern anchor with the transportation center at its terminus. The Block 12 plan is at least something activating, but it sets the tone for mostly 4-6 story buildings filling out the surrounding streets beyond Mill.

Monti's should, in theory, be developed, but I agree that these will be more Gateway/HFL sized.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:56 AM

Today’s progress on North upper deck demolition. h/t ASU Business-Finance

h/t Bill Kennedy

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 4:55 PM

delete message

Last edited by turpentyne; Apr 22, 2014 at 5:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:35 PM

Las Vegas-based restaurant chain Hot N Juicy Crawfish opened last Friday at the Centerpoint on Mill complex.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:44 PM

While driving by Southbank yesterday, there was a boom lift and backhoe next to the Villas at Southbank site..could be nothing. Could be something.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
While driving by Southbank yesterday, there was a boom lift and backhoe next to the Villas at Southbank site..could be nothing. Could be something.
Gross. I can't believe 4-story apartments are going to be built on that site.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. Those apartments are proposed to go a couple lots down.

Latest DRC meeting has Villas still in proposal. Not sure if this is related...
http://www.tempe.gov/Modules/ShowDoc...cumentid=24348

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Villas at Southbank was the 15+ story senior living facility...

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 6:56 PM

Thanks. They haven't moved on that project in years, so I assumed it was dead. Not that a senior hi rise is going to do much for the lakefront either way.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 12:05 AM
BANNED

I drove down the street next to Gammage with the solar canopy running down the median. It's very impressive and would be awesome if they landscaped underneath it. Not necessary to plant grass again, but shrubs, benches, etc. would really add something. Hopefully in the next phase....

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 5:39 AM

after 2 years at West 6 I am out. i didnt renew my lease (they need 5 months notice-excessive right?) and Aug 1st im done. it has been fun but time to move in. this place is a cash cow and no need for them to over convert these things to condos plus the building a failing apart mess.

1. most of the views are just "ok"
2. pay the premium for a larger unit with a great view or not worth it
3. the parking lot is a mess
4. you will see broken glass and deal with elevator issues weekly
5. rent is over priced per SQ for luxury rentals
6. one of the best locations in all the valley
7. I will miss the mill ave fun (I like mill but i never go out to Mill in the evening) just food and drinks but never nightlife there
8. great place for someone just moving into town
9. 2 bedroom floor plans are tiny
10. worth checking out for a year but explore other options too since the price isnt that great.

hang out at the pool and you will meet a lot of great fun ppl from all walks of life -

im going to slum it for 6-9 months then try Optima village when the units are facing north are complete

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 7:09 AM

^ me & my two room mates (married couple) are debating the same thing. We've been here 2 years & have the "best view in phoenix" apartment (NE corner tower 2). We're all in our mid 20s and enjoy it here, but some things have bug us:

PROS:
•Nice Units
•Great Location (Mill/Lake/Centralized/ASU/etc)
•Great quality of life (Parks,Location,Location)
•Some great people live here...some are annoying spoiled college brats, others are of multiple ages, backgrounds, etc...
•Great neighbors

CONS:
•Front office management is awful. I have fought with the unqualified property manager all the time. Apparently customer is not right here
•Elevators break on average once every 2 weeks, which can become a nuisance. Sick of the excuses, want solutions.
•Windows are cleaned once every 6 months. Should be once every 3-4.
•Rent is a little high
•Security team is awful. They patrol the halls like we are children. If they hear noise coming from your apartment, you receive an automatic complaint. The funniest part is your neighbor's don't hear the noise, but the sound easily travels into the hallway through the front door because it echoes. I've been fighting this issue for a while. I'm not a child & when I have 10 people in my apartment to entertain and I'm not disturbing the others around me, security's judgment on me being too loud is irrelevant. Talk about a joke.

If West Sixth had a direct competitor (Ash/Univ), they would be in the shit real quick. Problem is you don't have a multi-cultural 10+ story high rise anywhere else downtown tempe. The time will come though.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 3:24 PM

Just curious -
How much is rent going for these days for a 2 bedroom (range) at West 6th? And how much extra is parking?

Last edited by ciweiss; Apr 29, 2014 at 3:42 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 9:59 PM

I'm also curious about W6's monthly rates if you guys don't mind.

Also, the 3rd crane showed up at Marina Heights today and it is TALL!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Also, the 3rd crane showed up at Marina Heights today and it is TALL!
They've had three up for awhile now...did they add a fourth?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:31 PM

No problem. A 2 bedroom starts around $1600 & goes upward to $2500. Cheapest 3 bed 2 bath is $2500 & my unit (3 bed/3 bath 1,466 SF & 2 balconies <not included in sq ft but around 250 additional SF>) is $2850. They had the 3 Penthouses rated at $4000 $4300 $4600, but decreased them to $3600 $3800 $4000, because they were obviously high to think anyone would rent PHs for those rates. I would be much happier if they transformed these into condos. Don't get me wrong, best place I ever lived and SUPER nice, but I hate certain things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest