HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbs1 View Post
Some of the projects around Bell Centre in Montréal:

very cool pic. Now where does the new Expos baseball stadium go??!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcanada View Post
very cool pic. Now where does the new Expos baseball stadium go??!

http://www.flickr.com/people/32140739@N02/
by etiennecoutu, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:34 AM

Montreal's skyline if the Quad Windsor project proceeds as anticipated. Burj Khalifa architects, baby!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post

If only such a stadium were necessary. It would need a roof, of course.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
If only such a stadium were necessary. It would need a roof, of course.
If Minnesota can get away without having one, I would think Montreal could too. I'm sure they would just have more road games at the start of the season.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:00 PM
Intergalactic Barfly

I've updated my Future Toronto Render. This one has added to it: 156 Front, Union Centre, 80 Bloor W, YC Condos, Wellesley on the Park, 1 Yorkville, 22/21 Yonge and 501 Yonge S.

[IMG][/IMG]

Original photo, credit to Jason Cook on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookedphotos/9449622323/
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by koops65; Mar 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:02 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Office towers are so much fatter than condos.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 4:16 PM

What I would give to have the towers in Moscow International Business Center in any of Canada's cities. That's how you properly glaze buildings!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:01 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
What I would give to have the towers in Moscow International Business Center in any of Canada's cities. That's how you properly glaze buildings!
Agreed! The MIBC is amazing. I would love to see Evolution built somewhere in Canada, or City of Capitals. House on Mosfilmovskaya would work pretty well in Calgary I think.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:

No thank you - please put it in Laval.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Fantastic!! I'd love to see that with Mirvish-Ghery, One Yonge, and Oxford Place! Toronto's future is bright!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 11:48 PM

Looks great! a couple things though. Union Centre has a surprisingly complex shape, with a sort of double peak at both sides of the building, recessing backwards in decreasing height and proportion of the buildings width. Your model shows it with a single peak while in reality there will be a double peak. Its also a little too tall I think, it should appear roughly the same if not slightly shorter than ICE from that view. 501 Yonge also looks too tall, it is significantly shorter than YC condos.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 12:29 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

I'm currently working on expanding the pic west, so I can include the 1 Yonge complex. And I don't mind the constructive criticism, but there are a few things to take into consideration. Because of the angle the pic was taken from, the base of each tower starts higher up the farther away from the lake you get. Of course with increasing distance away from the camera's POV all of the buildings get shorter. I estimated the height of the towers I added by comparing them to already built towers nearby with known heights. This isn't always easy to do, since so many of them have their base cut off by closer towers. In many cases I have to make a best guess. I'll work on the shape of Union Centre, but I believe the height is quite accurate. On my render, Ice II is 118 pixels high (for a tower 234 metres tall) and Union Centre is 120 pixels high (for a tower 238 metres tall) but it is slightly farther away from the camera POV. Also, only 1 block away is the Delta Hotel, 82 pixels high. (for a tower 160 metres tall) Either way, it's close, the math works out, whichever way you look at it. Maybe Ice should be slightly taller by a few pixels? The same thing applies to 501 Yonge. The actual building is shorter (not significantly though, it is 174m compared to YC's 198m), but its base is higher up than YC, so from this POV it would appear close to being equal height. I'll lower 501 Yonge slightly in my next render though. I'd like to make any render as accurate as I possibly can.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If Minnesota can get away without having one, I would think Montreal could too. I'm sure they would just have more road games at the start of the season.
They could do it, sure. In fact, they did do it for years but really, not even the hardiest of baseball fans wants to sit outside in April. Not in Montreal, not in Toronto, not in Boston and not in Minneapolis.

If baseball ever came back to Montreal, they'd have to splash out on a retractable roof stadium. Neither or those things is likely to happen, however.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
They could do it, sure. In fact, they did do it for years but really, not even the hardiest of baseball fans wants to sit outside in April. Not in Montreal, not in Toronto, not in Boston and not in Minneapolis.

If baseball ever came back to Montreal, they'd have to splash out on a retractable roof stadium. Neither or those things is likely to happen, however.
Football is played outside. in -10c and the stadium is full. grey cup, NFL, soccer in Europe..... etc.. just 1 month of so so temps is not that bad.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 3:33 AM

Stellar work on your update, koops! I do dislike 156 Front and Union Centre (not your fault). Big, fat, monotonous blobs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Football is played outside. in -10c and the stadium is full. grey cup, NFL, soccer in Europe..... etc.. just 1 month of so so temps is not that bad.
I would suggest the difference is, there are far less football games then there are baseball. Don't know how many games a soccer team plays in a season, but I doubt it is anywhere close to the 160ish games in a baseball season.(I realize only half are home games)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
Stellar work on your update, koops! I do dislike 156 Front and Union Centre (not your fault). Big, fat, monotonous blobs.
Totally agree. just more bland blue glass McTowers.

This is why I have never been a big fan of Toronto's skyline. Toronto is getting a lot of buildings but they all look the same and creating more of a solid glass wall than a skyline. So many of Calgary's new buildings have character and are bold and vivid and yet Toronto City Hall seems to be only concerned with them not falling down and mediocrity rules the day.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Totally agree. just more bland blue glass McTowers.

This is why I have never been a big fan of Toronto's skyline. Toronto is getting a lot of buildings but they all look the same and creating more of a solid glass wall than a skyline. So many of Calgary's new buildings have character and are bold and vivid and yet Toronto City Hall seems to be only concerned with them not falling down and mediocrity rules the day.
It's a fair criticism that we're getting too much blue glass (though are 156 Front and Union Centre are hardly "McTowers") I'm confused about why you bring Calgary up as a point of contrast. Aside from The Bow, most big projects they've built or are building are also blue glass.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 5:58 AM
ARTchitecture

Blue glass can still be bold and vivid, such as Eighth Avenue Place. Although it's more of a colour adaptive blue/silver. Telus Sky certainly promises something new, I can't even imagine what its glass is gonna be like in person.

I mostly agree with you though Ramako, but he probably only mentioned Calgary as a contrast because it's the only other city in the country building towers near that height, size, and quality.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada