HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:54 PM
BANNED

Yep they definitely fooled me. Filming for Chi Fi was my first guess, but I looked closer and even saw soot around the busted-out windows. Hope you guys are watching the show. They do a fantastic job of featuring the city and seem to really embrace Chicago.

The "Fire"

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Don't worry that was fake. See below. The building is actually in the process of being landmarked right now.

Actually there was no fire there. I thought the same thing when I first saw that, but it turns out that was actually just an elaborate scene being filmed for Chicago Fire. They must be doing their jobs if they fooled so many people into thinking it was real. They had smoke machines and fire engines spraying the building and everything.
Oh, that makes so much more sense. Last week I biked by and saw broken windows and soot but I ALSO noticed two security guards there and I couldn't figure out what why.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
And on Sedgwick and Locust, there's a proposal for a 7 story, 40 unit development which would require the demolition of St. Dominic's.
That's too bad - my partner was just photographing that this past weekend as part of a project he's putting together documenting the enormous economic chasms that exist roughly along the Chicago Avenue corridor between the River and Michigan Avenue - i.e. you have Groupon's headquarters, the multi-million-dollar mansions just south of Chicago Ave, the Cabrini rowhouses, drug dealers, hipsters, students from Moody and Loyola, homeless, business people, artists, various social agencies, including at least one methadone clinic and the YMCA Lawson House, and exotic car dealers within a couple blocks including a Bently/Lambo dealer and a McLaren dealer. It's an incredible idea to document a lot of this before it all becomes homogenized and I'm pretty excited to see him take it on as really his first large-scale photo-journalism project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Seriously, do people not want to live in remodeled older buildings anymore??
I want to and I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Speaking of bad news for old churches; last week, I noticed the red "X" posted at St Boniface Church nearby. (Nobel and Chestnut)

An article about failed efforts to save it
That sucks. My partner grew up bit further west, in the Ukrainian Village, and always liked that church, too.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:25 PM
Content provider

the X is just a sign for fire crews and emergency personnel that the structure has been deemed unsafe, not imminent demo

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Finally found a decent rendering of that project on Halsted and Lake:

Yeah
That glinting disco-ball effect, what!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:59 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
Do you know for sure whether the [Ninth Street] underpass had a sidewalk component?
Yes, when it's built there will be a sidewalk. Why would you think otherwise?

The through lanes of Clark under Roosevelt is the only street I can think of in the entire city that lacks a sidewalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
the X is just a sign for fire crews and emergency personnel that the structure has been deemed unsafe
I've seen different descriptions, but I think technically all it means is that the structure is unoccupied.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 8:44 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
I actually believe that you have a decidedly more affluent demographic on average that would be walking to RC (or at least part of time walking to RC) than those who only arrive by auto....

The city should (should have) mandated that this was the case if the developer/current owner seemed disinclined to ensure this on their own (actually it should have been mandated, period - sometimes it is actually nothing that nudges one in the desired direction than a good 'ole mandate)....
Maybe you're right, but the city has totally dropped the ball when it comes to infrastructure in the South Loop. Considering the huge size of the Near South TIF, this is inexcusable. The biggest investment in the last decade was the auto sewer they built at Roosevelt/Clark.

Congress and the Rock Island are both huge barriers in the neighborhood that the city has done nothing about. For god's sake, there are still jersey barriers sitting on the Polk sidewalk in front of Folio Square.

Quote:
And, before someone else mentions it, yes, as reported in Crain's this morning RC has landed Container Store, Banana Republic and Lululemon - and, no, this does not in any way vindicate 'McHackeffery' for its exceptionally awful overall observable performance
Sure it vindicates them. America is massively overbuilt on retail space and large chains are expanding at a very slow pace after getting burned in the recession. McCaffery's deal with the lender likely requires them to sign AAA tenants, but it's not possible to do that quickly in today's environment. They have filled RC with as many local businesses as they could manage (bevello, Bridgeport Coffee, Haberdash, ROC, etc) but those slots for AAA tenants are a bitch to fill.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:31 AM

On a side note, I was surprised at the lower rents at RC....significantly lower than pretty much everything in the downtown area. Location? Current conditions?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:07 AM

^ Part of it is probably a result of the same thing Mr Downtown touched on (below) - the feel may be like it's not really part of the South Loop but in some separated neighborhood area (and inside a shopping center). Also, I made a visit there once and it didn't have the professionally-run feel like most new rental highrises have; there was kind of a dormitory feel to it. Plus, all lowrise units, with most of them having kind of crappy views (like the motor court).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
I think the current owners don't even see access from the north as an issue. In their world everyone drives in from Roosevelt Road, or if they're really down and out (or employees) they walk up from the Red Line station at Roosevelt & State.

==========

2-story high, half-block long steel frame has been erected at Weed & Fremont (sw corner). Who's going in when it's finished?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 6:49 AM

Interesting. 2437, 2443, 2445, 2451, and 2457 W Irving Park Rd (around Irving Park and Western) all issued demolition permits basically under the ownership of Noah Properties, who's been building a lot of stuff in UK Village, Roscoe Village, etc. I wonder if these will turn into SFH or multi unit building(s). Hopefully mixed use multi unit..

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:32 PM

I performed my civic duty and recommended the idea to cap the Museum Campus / 11th Street - Metra Station at last night's public meeting for the Lucas Arts Cultural Museum.

Today's article on CBS Local mentions some of the recommendations, including this nice tidbit:

"The Grant Park site was touted by Levar Hoard of Interactive Design Architects, who said it would attract families as well as art students from nearby colleges and universities, and would not destroy existing park land. He would build it by covering over the Metra Electric tracks, the same method employed to create the space for Millennium Park."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...useum-meeting/

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Apr 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Interesting. 2437, 2443, 2445, 2451, and 2457 W Irving Park Rd (around Irving Park and Western) all issued demolition permits basically under the ownership of Noah Properties, who's been building a lot of stuff in UK Village, Roscoe Village, etc. I wonder if these will turn into SFH or multi unit building(s). Hopefully mixed use multi unit..
Usually any new development in the 47th Ward is listed on the following website, but I only see an announcement for 2532-2544 W. Irving Park, unless this was presented more than 6 months ago. Noah Properties is developing this address with 3 story flats (6 dwelling units each):
http://chicago47.org/wp-content/uplo...s-07-01-13.pdf

http://chicago47.org/zoningdevelopment-cases/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
That sucks. My partner grew up bit further west, in the Ukrainian Village, and always liked that church, too.
St. Boniface is fine for now, the preservation community is keeping a very close eye on it. They claimed they had a new development team lined up a while ago, but I have yet to see anything materialize. There is no reason not to save this particular church because the economics of the surrounding area can totally support it unlike many churches we are losing on the South Side.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Chicago View Post
Usually any new development in the 47th Ward is listed on the following website, but I only see an announcement for 2532-2544 W. Irving Park, unless this was presented more than 6 months ago. Noah Properties is developing this address with 3 story flats (6 dwelling units each):

Good to know about that ward. 2532 had a demolition permit as well of course. I wonder if they'll put a few more of these in the 2400 block too.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Good to know about that ward. 2532 had a demolition permit as well of course. I wonder if they'll put a few more of these in the 2400 block too.
Alderman Pawar is great. I like that he has this information on his website.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
True, but then you get frustrated when a proposal to tear down an old dilapidated SFH to construct a new 4 story (4 dwelling unit) building is not approved.
http://chicago47.org/wp-content/uplo...s-10-23-13.pdf

Another proposal to replace a SFH with a 6 condo unit was rejected here:
http://chicago47.org/wp-content/uplo...-info-form.pdf

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
It would be great if more wards did this - I don't care whether the information is favorable or not. It's good to know what's going on. I think Daniel Solis for the 25th ward is pretty good about this too.

On another note, I don't know if you guys saw this but the Chicago Loop Alliance has a new plan to make some use of some alleys in the Loop with art, music (dj), food, drink, etc. Looks like there will be 5, the first one on May 1:
http://loopchicago.com/cla/projects-...grams/activate

I think we need more of this - I wish more things were done with alleys

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:38 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
I performed my civic duty and recommended the idea to cap the Museum Campus / 11th Street - Metra Station at last night's public meeting for the Lucas Arts Cultural Museum.

Today's article on CBS Local mentions some of the recommendations, including this nice tidbit:

"The Grant Park site was touted by Levar Hoard of Interactive Design Architects, who said it would attract families as well as art students from nearby colleges and universities, and would not destroy existing park land. He would build it by covering over the Metra Electric tracks, the same method employed to create the space for Millennium Park."

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/04/...useum-meeting/
Awesome. That would definitely be a great site IMO. Though I think the city should basically say "put it where you want it" be it the OPO, Museum Campus, Washington Park (across from an Obama Library), M.Reese Hosp, South Works site etc. All but the lakefront path or Grant Park (north of 11th) should basically be fair game IMO.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:49 PM
BANNED

I defiantly favor Justins plan and do everything we can to advance that idea. Thanks for attending and contributing.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:43 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Maybe you're right, but the city has totally dropped the ball when it comes to infrastructure in the South Loop. Considering the huge size of the Near South TIF, this is inexcusable. The biggest investment in the last decade was the auto sewer they built at Roosevelt/Clark.

Congress and the Rock Island are both huge barriers in the neighborhood that the city has done nothing about. For god's sake, there are still jersey barriers sitting on the Polk sidewalk in front of Folio Square.

Sure it vindicates them. America is massively overbuilt on retail space and large chains are expanding at a very slow pace after getting burned in the recession. McCaffery's deal with the lender likely requires them to sign AAA tenants, but it's not possible to do that quickly in today's environment. They have filled RC with as many local businesses as they could manage (bevello, Bridgeport Coffee, Haberdash, ROC, etc) but those slots for AAA tenants are a bitch to fill.

On, first point - you're certainly not going to find an argument here - the city has really dropped the ball........indefensible really..

Second point, on RC - huh? Is that supposed to be in jest?

Just a couple opening points - Republic of Couture (is this Chicago-based?) has to my knowledge never opened - assuming something is going on there, and obvoiusly wondering if that tenancy is in trouble. At minimum there's there is some kind of bizarrely long delay. Bevello was a Southern import and actually closed 4 or 5 months after they opened. They're long gone.

While true that the US is over-stored (aggregate gross leasable area still towers over other mature markets) - it's tremendously higher than in countries such as Australia and Canada, and Western European countries, etc), this is not by any means necessarily true of urban areas - in fact, national (and to some extent increasingly international) strong credit retailers are recognizing this - and are focusing much of their expansion (admittedly less aggressive overall than pre financial crisis) in under-retailed urban markets (large and dense population, large aggregate discretionary income/spending potential, lower competition levels, and in certain areas (downtown chicago, anyone?, other city cores and neighborhoods around the country), even growing populations and affluence to boot. So RC's remarkably poor performance in leasing the last 1.5-2 years (it's been 3 years now - or nearly 3 years, since 'McHackeffery' purchased it at a low cost basis) is inexcusable - period. That they are now announcing (or leaked to press by them or someone else) 3 quality national/international tenants would certainly not meet any reasonable assessment as to 'vindication'.

Again, from an urbanist's/pedestrian's standpoint, what the developer/current owner of RC have done is completely BS, and should not have been permitted - points Mr Downtown brought up regarding what they're doing 'out the back'. However, from the perspective of most national retailers, they could give two flying f#c%s - trust me, the design, while there are issues, has not been a major contributor to 'McHackeffery's' dismal leasing performance at the center - it is of their own very evident (in the observable results) acute leasing incompetence.

They could definitely still turn it around - I very much hope that they do, by the way. Never mistake analysis and keen assessment for some sort of bias.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development