HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Today, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk89 View Post
Correct. Downtown Houston has a tall mass of buildings right in the middle that is more impressive than any other U.S. City besides NY and Chicago, in my opinion. The height really is incredible. The problem is that the tall mass is surrounded by parking lots. If you guys fill those in with 10-20 story buildings, then I definitely believe that Houston deserves the title of 3rd best skyline in the U.S.
The infill is happening and parking lots are being replaced by structures, fortunately. That's been happening (slowly) for quite some time (as per this thread), but the pace is picking up significantly, at long last. I'd love to see it look more like those pics of Seattle that were posted elsewhere in the forum the other day (aerial photos?).

Seems like mostly good news coming out of Houston on most fronts. Makes me very sad that I haven't been able to make the move back to Houston as soon as I wanted to (I've been gone from there since I was a teenager). For all I know, by the time I move back the boom will have subsided.

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
The infill is happening and parking lots are being replaced by structures, fortunately. That's been happening (slowly) for quite some time (as per this thread), but the pace is picking up significantly, at long last. I'd love to see it look more like those pics of Seattle that were posted elsewhere in the forum the other day (aerial photos?).

Seems like mostly good news coming out of Houston on most fronts. Makes me very sad that I haven't been able to make the move back to Houston as soon as I wanted to (I've been gone from there since I was a teenager). For all I know, by the time I move back the boom will have subsided.
Seattle definitely does have the density. I love our aerial views. I think those are the best shots of the city. However, I like Houston's symmetry. All of the tall buildings are right in the middle, unlike Seattle, where our tallest is on the edge of Downtown. Houston is growing at a unbelievable rate so it has the potential to fill in those lots very quickly.

Old Posted Today, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Height has never been a problem for Houston. If anything, the lack of 10-15 story buildings in spades has been the city's problem. Which is what's being corrected in this boom cycle.

Look at DT SF and DT Houston and around both their DT's in a Google Earth view. DT SF has a big sea of 10-15 story towers to create mass around its DT (or as I simply call it MASS INFILL). When we look at the tallest buildings the convo goes the other way in favor of DT Houston and Houston's inner loop in general.

What you're describing has been done regarding floor height, etc.

http://www.ultrapolisproject.com/Tal...nes_Cities.htm
Great! Thanks, will check that out. Reading this stuff is a fun hobby.

Old Posted Today, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk89 View Post
Correct. Downtown Houston has a tall mass of buildings right in the middle that is more impressive than any other U.S. City besides NY and Chicago, in my opinion. The height really is incredible. The problem is that the tall mass is surrounded by parking lots. If you guys fill those in with 10-20 story buildings, then I definitely believe that Houston deserves the title of 3rd best skyline in the U.S.
I agree, great discussion by all.

It is great that Houston is fixing many of the areas that were eye-sores like the Bayou and the back of downtown behind all those shiny 80's towers.

To me the dream is having all those great buildings and a few more trophy towers serving as the backdrop but all the rest of the small buildings that have great bars, trendy restaurants that come and go, cool parks, rail or cabs to go to a row of bars in three or four different parts of town, and just tons of interesting people everywhere to see. I would like to see some bars and restaurants open on some of the higher up patios on the 6th-10th floors for a cool urban scene to drink by. We have the W Hotel in DC for that where I live.

I always thought Downtown was a beautiful ghost town from the future at night when I visited.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations