HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 23, 2015, 2:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Image from the great JR Ewing.

Credit: http://www.yimbyforums.com/t/new-yor...-floors/262/22

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:53 AM

Love this building. Glad it's finally - slowly but surely - underway.
Verre is also one of NewYorkGuy's very favorites . . But he hasn't posted in 2 months . .
That's one long vacation . . anybody know where he went ? . .
Chris - thanks for the JR pictures . . where do you find them ? . .

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 12:59 AM

whoops my bad . . his moniker is NYGuy - not NewYorkGuy . .
and he's written almost 40000 posts . . He seems to be Mr Mellow . .
and has a calming effect throughout the NYC threads . . .
It's a bit disconcerting to think that he's disappeared . .
I just haven't seen any posts . . and I know he hasn't been "banned".

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
whoops my bad . . his moniker is NYGuy - not NewYorkGuy . .
and he's written almost 40000 posts . . He seems to be Mr Mellow . .
and has a calming effect throughout the NYC threads . . .
It's a bit disconcerting to think that he's disappeared . .
I just haven't seen any posts . . and I know he hasn't been "banned".
He got tired off all the nonsense so he left.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 7:06 AM

That surprises me . . NYGuy seemed so imperturbable . . I hope he comes back.
He's a tremendous asset to these threads.
Sometimes I didn't agree with him . . But who cares about that.
He was always a solid reassuring presence.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
That's a shame. If you ever talk to him mention that there are many of us who enjoyed his input on this forum.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 9:10 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
Whaaaat? Man, NYguy, JR, VG,... all gone. This forum sure knows how to piss off its most valuable members. Who's next? Chris, INLY, Eidolon, Hypothalamus, sparkling,...? Then we can close the New York threads for good.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 11:35 PM

^And dont forget yourself Hunser! Truth be told I do miss some of the other Powerhouses on these forums. That list of revered users is decreasing...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 12:55 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Just my take on it but...

Couple of things are driving members a way or forcing some to take a vow of silence (examples being ones that have been here for while but rarely response). And I know of some who have pm'd me in the past.

1) Political correctness

2) Not giving new people a chance

3) Homerism

With the PC, there should be less of it, and allow for some sort of spirited expression. Way to many sensitive people, and its this chain-and-shackle culture of you can't say this or you can't joke that's toxic. You can have intellectual discussions, and also some humor mixed in. Its what gets people to keep coming back because they can learn, yet have fun at the same time.

I've noticed new members are in the sniper scope. Say one thing wrong, even if he or she has means well, but gets the facts wrong, and they are attacked or ridiculed. I can prove this too. Go say something wrong about a Chicago project or an opinion that deviates from the popular one, and watch the responses.

With Homerism, its evident. There are people who only stick to one city instead of having spirited discussions about other projects.

Often people wonder why the city discussion and current events section lacks participation, and that's because of certain overzealous mods and certain members who have to much homerism. (we know who they are).

With getting back certain members, I can guarantee that the NY threads would see more "contributions" if certain people where back. If JR comes back in any form, you will see VG and a slew of members join because there's a whole group that stick together. This is true of SSC, and if you've noticed, since londoniumlex left, the ny section is almost dead there.

But anyways, back to Verre.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artspook View Post
That surprises me . . NYGuy seemed so imperturbable . . I hope he comes back.
He's a tremendous asset to these threads.
Sometimes I didn't agree with him . . But who cares about that.
He was always a solid reassuring presence.

NYGuy got married and have permanent ban on spending time on Skyscraper forums...... not really, don't know what happen to him but he was like the captain of a ship, I would expect him to be the last person to leave this forum. If he is gone, there must been very good reason for it.

Don't worry hunser, there is still some of us left and we are still bringing good, quality information making this forum interesting for all the readers. Some users will leave and new will come. As long as we are professional and like chris mentioned avoid certain type of behaviors, our forum will last and thrive. Speaking of JR, he was a valuable member contributing great photos and information but he got many warnings from mods that certain posts coming from him will not be tolerated. He did not want to change so he got banned.

Anyway, going back on topic, I got some new photos and will post them soon. Have fun and respect the others.

Last edited by ILNY; Sep 27, 2015 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 7:44 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Just my take on it but...

Couple of things are driving members a way or forcing some to take a vow of silence (examples being ones that have been here for while but rarely response). And I know of some who have pm'd me in the past.

1) Political correctness

2) Not giving new people a chance

3) Homerism

With the PC, there should be less of it, and allow for some sort of spirited expression. Way to many sensitive people, and its this chain-and-shackle culture of you can't say this or you can't joke that's toxic. You can have intellectual discussions, and also some humor mixed in. Its what gets people to keep coming back because they can learn, yet have fun at the same time.

I've noticed new members are in the sniper scope. Say one thing wrong, even if he or she has means well, but gets the facts wrong, and they are attacked or ridiculed. I can prove this too. Go say something wrong about a Chicago project or an opinion that deviates from the popular one, and watch the responses.

With Homerism, its evident. There are people who only stick to one city instead of having spirited discussions about other projects.

Often people wonder why the city discussion and current events section lacks participation, and that's because of certain overzealous mods and certain members who have to much homerism. (we know who they are).

With getting back certain members, I can guarantee that the NY threads would see more "contributions" if certain people where back. If JR comes back in any form, you will see VG and a slew of members join because there's a whole group that stick together. This is true of SSC, and if you've noticed, since londoniumlex left, the ny section is almost dead there.

But anyways, back to Verre.
Well the Main Forum sections are very active , but you're right about the NY section. However the NA Section is slowly being overhauled...so I think within a year the NY section should be very active. But other parts of SSC are rapidly growing , even in the US threads... Which is started to show here on SSP as members jump ship for SSC... SSC is even eating away at other sites like WNY... And reforms on Photo spam and like spam are in the works...so i'm sure the site with grow even further... Even the Admins on SSP acknowledge this.... Would like to see the 2 sites merge together....with a Major overhaul...

But I'm going off topic...

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:00 PM

From yesterday.

Looking north.

Looking south.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 2:13 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 3:08 AM

I love that beautiful evil look it has to it.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Boston View Post
I love that beautiful evil look it has to it.
It's essentially One57's evil (but more attractive) twin.

Also it looks like the Park Lane tower is roughly 1000ft in that model display. Not complaining though, not every billionaire tower needs to be roughly the same height and you gotta have a few shorter towers to balance the peaks.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:59 AM

no doubt about the prized perfection of this one . .
it looks kinda lost though (without the extra 200 ft.) in the middle picture just above . .
but looking up at that sharp wedge crown slicing into the sky in the other two pics . .
is emphatically exciting.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 1:38 PM
Ex Houstonian

I really wish this building could have been it's original height of 1250 feet or whatever it was. This is for sure going to be one of the most incredible towers in America, I just worry you won't hardly be able to see it in the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:33 PM
Metal Up Your !

Yeah I agree. Wasted potential. It will barely make a dent, just as the Chrysler is but a mere spec in the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
With the PC, there should be less of it, and allow for some sort of spirited expression.
It wasn't really an issue of people being overly PC, spewing personal attacks and sophomoric insults should not be acceptable in this forum, period.

JR did nothing for this community but create utter chaos and spam the NY threads, anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional.

Anyway this tower is utterly gorgeous and long overdue, I wish it was closer to the park or the river so it could be more visible in the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2015, 5:53 PM

JR was one of the best forumers on SSP and is very much missed. His contributions, especially photos and inside info, were extremely informative.

This tower is also quite good, but is unfortunately diminished by the NIMBYs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive