HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 10:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So much nostalgia in those Montreal pictures from that era - I want more!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 10:57 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It would've happened anyway, but probably not so quickly.

Water Street, summer after Confederation.

Before:

After:

And one other:

And a few of the Hotel:

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 11:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'm having way too much fun at this for a Saturday night.

So, that book that explained Canada's political parties to Newfoundlanders in preparation for us joining... there are more, explaining the whole country to Newfoundlanders. It's cool.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 11:26 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Sep 26, 2015, 11:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Sep 26, 2015 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 2:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Via T.'s grandfather. He thinks it's 1959.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

This might be the funniest thing I've ever read.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mine was the bitchy description of Regina.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Mine was the description of Edmonton as Alberta's oil centre!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 6:34 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's an interesting photo of the northern end of downtown Halifax, probably taken in the 1940's. The foreground buildings are mostly still there but the ones higher up the hill were considered slums and were redeveloped:

One mildly annoying detail is that there used to be clear sight lines up Duke Street, the one on the left, to the ramparts of the Citadel. This view was blocked by a pedway.

Hard to make out but this one is an aerial of the Halifax peninsula from about 1920. The ocean terminals and under construction. Most of the peninsula itself is developed but there wasn't much development on the mainland.

Source

This one showed up in a "then and now" series. A little 6-storey office block that disappeared in the 1960's:

Source

Another building with small floorplates that bit the dust, this time around 1990. They are interesting but not very popular with tenants. I think this one might have been built for CN, and dated to around 1900-1910.

Source

Last edited by someone123; Sep 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 7:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The North End has a Montreal vibe in that aerial.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2015, 8:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is very much the analogue to the eastern parts of Montreal, including inner areas like the Plateau and Ste-Catherine Est. About 2/3 of the interesting inner-city parts of Halifax are in that end of town, but it suffered a lot from urban renewal in the 1950's and 60's because it was cut off from downtown. Gottingen Street used to be an extension of Barrington but there is now a big dead zone in between. I could imagine visitors thinking the inner city more or less peters out on the fringes of downtown, but that's not the case at all.

A lot of construction has been happening and businesses are moving in. It's already a pretty decent neighbourhood, but if 5,000-10,000 more people move in and the interchange is torn down it'll be great.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 8:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's too bad that portions were lost... but at least it's improving. Hopefully it'll fill in again and become like Spring Garden Road. Not my favourite buildings, but there's life there - and if it works, fuck it. Doesn't have to be old brick or tall buildings.

One funny aside - that book, in describing Ontario, says it has 29 cities, 5 of which have more than 30,000 people, and two - TWO - of which are larger than St. John's. Could that be accurate, even back then?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Mine was the description of Edmonton as Alberta's oil centre!
Apparently this is actually still Edmonton's only official slogan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ames_in_Canada

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 2:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My mother found our family in a book about the history of the Basilica. Plus an old interior shot.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:39 PM

Some images of Vancouver from the mid-1880's, not all too common:

http://www.vancouversun.com/rare+188...753/story.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 9:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That Montreal set....badassed. Wicked collection.

And on the balance, Drapeau was a disaster.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:49 AM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
That Montreal set....badassed. Wicked collection.

And on the balance, Drapeau was a disaster.
I don't want to go off-topic but how exactly was he a disaster?

During his tenure as a mayor, he made Montreal (metropolitan) grow from 2M to 2.9M.

He is the person that made Montreal a world class metropolis. He had vision which is something that Canada as whole currently lacks. For Drapeau, it was out of question to go the cheap route. So what he left a big debt? Are we going to ignore the million positive things he did? Even nowadays, in 2015, the city benefits tremendously economically from his projects. Think of the F1 GP for example, who puts the city on the World map every single year ($100M+ in 1 weekend). We wouldn't have it if it wasn't for Drapeau.

Jean Drapeau's legacy
Quote:
There aren't many mayors in Canada who make national news very often. Right now I suppose most well-informed Canadians could name the mayor of Toronto. But that's probably for all the wrong reasons. My guess is that once you get about a hundred kilometres outside any other city, the name of the mayor is a trivia answer for all but the wonkiest of wonks.

This week marks the birthday of the most famous mayor in Canadian history. Jean Drapeau was born on February 18, 1916. He was the mayor of Montreal from 1954 to 1957, and then from 1960 until his retirement in 1986. And he ran the city with a dynamism and a vision that has rarely been matched, and never surpassed, by any politician at any level of government in our history.

Drapeau was a hands-on operator. Always looking to put his city on the world map. Always looking for the next dazzling project. Montreal changed not just while he was the mayor, but because he was the mayor.

Drapeau built Place des Arts, the city's premier stage and concert hall. He started building the metro system, and made its stations more beautiful than some art museums. He brought Expo '67 to Montreal, the greatest of all centennial celebrations. He persuaded Major League Baseball to cross the border for the first time and put a franchise in Montreal. And he won the first Olympic Games for Canada, the summer games of 1976.

The Olympics eventually sullied his reputation. From the beginning, critics warned that Drapeau's budget was impossibly optimistic and the games would cost far more than he projected. Drapeau's riposte became legendary. "The Olympics," he said, "could no more lose money than a man could have a baby." The games lost a billion dollars. And Drapeau was rightly blamed.

But Drapeau had boundless energy. And he had more ideas than Don Cherry has suits. In 1968, lotteries were illegal in Canada. So Drapeau started what he called a "voluntary tax". (How's that for honesty in labeling?). A "donation" was $2 and the grand prize was $100,000 in silver. The mayor said people all over the world would enjoy, "participating financially in the expansion and progress of the Canadian metropolis." And he was right. Montreal made a good deal of money from this "tax". But the courts eventually decided that no matter what it was called, it was an illegal lottery. Almost as soon as Drapeau was shut down, the federal government made lotteries legal, and every province in the land jumped in. Today you can play Lotto 6/49, Atlantic Keno, Quebec 49, Lottario, Western 6/49, BC 49, and at least a dozen more all because of Jean Drapeau. And no one has the nerve to call any lottery a voluntary tax.

The idea of putting Expo '67 in the middle of the St. Lawrence River, partly on a man-made island, was Drapeau's. The Prime Minister at the time, Lester Pearson, marveled that in a country with so much land, we had to build more.

The mayor would never accept defeat. When Expo was forced to open with the modular apartments of Habitat unfinished, Drapeau spread the word that the exhibit had been left incomplete by design, so that visitors could see its construction process more clearly.

Drapeau won 92.5% of the vote in 1970. And his party won every seat on city council. But that was during the October Crisis and Drapeau had unfairly smeared the opposition as a front for terrorists. Council meetings became a forum for approving every Drapeau proposal, no questions asked. In fact, even a CBC reporter, chasing the mayor down a City Hall corridor with the camera rolling, was told by Drapeau, "You need my permission to ask questions." Let that be a lesson in the perils of absolute power.

But there was never a hint that Drapeau was corrupt. He lived in the same middle-class house all the years he was mayor. He drove himself to work every day before dawn.

Jean Drapeau died in 1999. His city renamed the Expo islands, "Parc Jean-Drapeau," and the metro station there carries his name as well. Canadians everywhere should remember him. Imperfect? Of course. But a man who sometimes made dreams come true.
http://www.cbc.ca/newsblogs/peterman...us-legacy.html

Last edited by Nicko999; Sep 30, 2015 at 6:59 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:25 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

And a few of the Hotel:

Hah! The Hotel Saskatchewan in Regina basically looks like they took the old Hotel Newfoundland and stretched it out a bit. Granted it is a fairly basic design layout, and that era's hotels often had a lot of similarities, but these two especially really stand out to me.

Hotel Saskatchewan in 1930:

Wikipedia

Legislative dome popping out to the left of the Hotel (currently undergoing a massive restoration project... basically a complete dismantling and reassembly).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 8:34 AM
ARTchitecture

Love the Hotel Saskatchewan!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada