HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:27 PM

Fortis was like the gandpapy of the highrises, then Atlantic place was like the trainwreck son Atlantic place Jr. next to the rooms is like the Illegitimate son Atlantic place doesnt even know it has but was unfortunatly in part taking after Atlantic Place Sr... at least the great grandchildren are learning from their mistakes

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Fortis was our very first. And they built it with a blank side presumably because city council expected to make the whole of downtown look like St. John's was founded in 1957.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
you mean you don't love the fact that they are three different designs within the one building as well as the tower potion isnt even centred on the podium hahahaha oh and got to love the different materials and the spread the F%$k out style in the middle of the heritage district on the waterfront at the bottom of the hill hahahaha

It is like they litterally layed a building ontop of an ugly ass building connected to a disgusting parking garage
I mean really guys? they need their heads checked
It wouldn't have been as bad if it was just 20 stories of the hotel portion, but having two buildings, both ugly and both different from each other stacked on top of one another was a horrible idea right from the start and I'm very glad that phase 2 was never approved!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Fortis was our very first. And they built it with a blank side presumably because city council expected to make the whole of downtown look like St. John's was founded in 1957.
You're right, it was probably never ment to stand alone like it has .. in the name of "progress" lol

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:35 PM

I never thought of it that way before, but that would be a good explanation for the mysterious blank side. What's the point of paying for windows when there will probably be a building just as tall, 5 feet from it in the future.

If that was their reasoning, it didn't quite pan out the way they had planned it to after all

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 6:59 PM

The AP Parking garage was designed for an allowance for additional floors and it is being considered, but like you said, given all the regulations I'd doubt it will go ahead

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A325 View Post
The AP Parking garage was designed for an allowance for additional floors and it is being considered, but like you said, given all the regulations I'd doubt it will go ahead
So they are looking at building something on top of the garage? renovating/retrofitting the garage and putting something on top of it would look much better than on top of atlantic place itself, but I cannot say I would support it! I like you said, it is doubtful it would be approved due to all the regulations. I wouldn't mind seeing a modern day proposal just to see what could be done with it.. I just don't think I would want it approved!

How do you know that it is being considered? Jw who your source is, or how you heard about it if you don't mind!

I always wondered, since atlantic place was build to support more floors, if anyone would ever consider building on top of it. I almost expected it to be brought up sometime in the future, just not this early

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We should put a nice row of jellybean houses on the roof.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 8:58 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:06 PM

TD place looking good! The glass is now further up and the back is finished. I am going to sneak down in the night and remove that red brick if they don't do it soon! I Don't know why there are two random panes of glass missing on the front.. Speaking of glass..

351 has a window!! Guess they want to get it sealed in before the snow comes. Progress on Fortis seems to have slowed in the past few weeks. I doubt fortis will be maxed out until next spring/summer.

Lol at the lone guy working on the Metropark

Thanks again for the awesome pics! Noticeable difference on TD every day and hopefully the curtain for 351 will move along at a steady pace!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:10 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I actually like TD Place now - even looking at it from Duckworth, which looks exactly as we expected to all along, I like it.

If that corner corner on the left when viewing from Duckworth is going to be all glass as well... wow... it's going to look fantastic for a re-clad on a stout, bulky building - even more interesting than just a solid glass fascade.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I actually like TD Place now - even looking at it from Duckworth, which looks exactly as we expected to all along, I like it.

If that corner corner on the left when viewing from Duckworth is going to be all glass as well... wow... it's going to look fantastic for a re-clad on a stout, bulky building - even more interesting than just a solid glass fascade.
I agree. We worried about this one for a long time but it has definitely exceeded all our expectations! Like you, I also like the ductwork side even though it is mostly just panels. The glass on the corners is a very nice touch!

I imagine the panels on the Prescott side will start soon. I've been trying to figure out the paper on the side of the building, like what sheet the panels get put on over. There's white and blue paper in differ sections. What I think I've figured out is that the glass goes on over the blue paper and the panels go on over the white. That's definitely not concrete info but just my speculation!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 10:03 PM

Great set of pics as always, Signal! I don't know about you guys but I think we're due for a new major proposal sometime soon. I really like to see the updated Hilton proposal, hopefully that'll be coming down the pipe real soon.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 10:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I'd like to see ANYTHING that's going up in the downtown west end. The density is becoming impressive for a city our size AND a few more modern buildings (like Fortis Place, especially) will really elevate the appearance of the whole city.

Just look at Calgary. It has lots of buildings as ugly as our Atlantic Place, etc... but when you have the percentage of drop-dead gorgeous buildings that Calgary has, it makes the skyline look great regardless.

St. John's is nearing that point, I think. Once the old Fortis Building is reclad... we're golden.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Oct 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:14 PM

I would love to see a SignalHillHiker photoshoot ten years from now! Fortis Place, 351 Water Street, Deacon (my 2nd favorite proposal behind fortis place now), Hilton and hopefully at least one 80-90m iconic building and a high rise condo building similar to the one Cody posted a picture of!

Exciting times in St. John's! Can't wait to see the updated proposal for the Hilton!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2012, 11:58 PM

Atlantic Place

Gentlemen: I'm the one who moderated your Newburbia chat a couple of weeks ago. I told you I was a fan. You were wondering about Atlantic Place? It was to have an eight-storey hotel on the top of it originally. A couple of years ago, I took a snap of this painting. It's in the security guard's office on the first floor.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:09 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

So, basically they were going to put 351 Water Street on top of there? Ha...

That's not so bad looking. Horribly out of place still... but not as awful as that other render.

Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:22 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofcochranest View Post
Gentlemen: I'm the one who moderated your Newburbia chat a couple of weeks ago. I told you I was a fan. You were wondering about Atlantic Place? It was to have an eight-storey hotel on the top of it originally. A couple of years ago, I took a snap of this painting. It's in the security guard's office on the first floor.

Thanks for that. I knew that the plan was changed from the original triangular concept to a rectangular one when it was built (you can probably tell that fron just looking at the roof), but had never actually seen a rendering. In reality they would still need to do a lot more to the lower sections to make it look better.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:33 AM

I remember a while back that someone mentioned something about Germain Hotels or something like that were looking for space in St. John's? I wonder if they are still looking?
I really like their hotel in Calgary! It's very unique and interesting!

Link to photo:http://www.macmarketingsolutions.com...ary/le-germain

Old Posted Oct 19, 2012, 12:42 AM

^Welcome to the boards! And I must say, that's a pretty good picture to bring with you Very interesting, I've never seen this rendering before. It's a definite improvement, but the two styles of building don't go well together. Creativity must have been at a low during that time period.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's