HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I don't think the street smell of weed has changed THAT much since legalization. It was unenforced for years before that.
It's like São Paulo. Unfortunately you smell weed everywhere, everyday, despite not being legalized.

That's why I found not promising this news about Chicago getting smellier due cannabis industry getting stronger.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I don't think the street smell of weed has changed THAT much since legalization. It was unenforced for years before that.
I noticed smelling it more in public after NY decriminalized possession. But it's still nowhere near as prevalent as cigarette smoke, or any other common odor of the city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke. It took decades to make tobacco smoker to realize that, and I hope it won't take that long with marijuana.

Now, it's a more subjective taken, I really find that US/Canada fascination childish. It's only a drug and it's not like people in the US won't take tons of other drugs anyway. And it's not only me. Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.
Do you think people are just lighting up blunts in restaurants now that bud is legal here? Lol. Just like it would be uncouth (not to mention illegal, but that doesn't stop some people of course) to crack a beer on the sidewalk, the same has been true for smoking, in my experience so far. The occasional smell of smoke wafting from an apartment or a car existed before prohibition ending.

It's folded pretty seamlessly into the landscape here, in Chicago at least. There was understandably some initial novelty for a couple of months because ending prohibition is a pretty big deal, but all the weed talk quickly faded into the background. Whatever image in your head of zombified potheads filling the public space with smoke and Dorito crumbs, just know that's not what's actually happened here.

Also this should all be framed by the fact that the smell of marijuana is incredibly inoffensive, ESPECIALLY in comparison to all the other smells that can assault you on an average day in a major city.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Do you think people are just lighting up blunts in restaurants now that bud is legal here? Lol. Just like it would be uncouth (not to mention illegal, but that doesn't stop some people of course) to crack a beer on the sidewalk, the same has been true for smoking, in my experience so far. The occasional smell of smoke wafting from an apartment or a car existed before prohibition ending.

It's folded pretty seamlessly into the landscape here, in Chicago at least. There was understandably some initial novelty for a couple of months because ending prohibition is a pretty big deal, but all the weed talk quickly faded into the background. Whatever image in your head of zombified potheads filling the public space with smoke and Dorito crumbs, just know that's not what's actually happened here.

Also this should all be framed by the fact that the smell of marijuana is incredibly inoffensive, ESPECIALLY in comparison to all the other smells that can assault you on an average day in a major city.
The OP suggested precisely that, that you could actually smell Chicago's new industry, like the slaughterhouses back in the days.

I hope on the ground people behave and comply with the smoking etiquette that we finally achieved. Or people drop the smoking and just eat it. And now it's a matter of opinion, but I believe the synthetic ones are much less socially intrusive. I'd rather have them widely used than marijuana.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:33 AM

When weed becomes legalized at the federal level and banking restrictions get lifted, cannabis will instantly become one of the highest value commodities available on futures markets. This is Chicago's bread and butter! Makes perfect sense. And we recently had a long thread about which open verticals Chicago can try to lead. Isn't downstate Illinois' climate pretty good for large-scale hemp/cannabis cultivation? This seems like a no-brainer for the whole state to aggressively get after.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 6:20 AM
Rust Belt Motherland

https://www.clccrul.org/blog/2021/6/...quity-licenses
Quote:
Two years after Illinois legalized recreational cannabis, there’s not a single Black majority-owned cannabis store in Illinois. HB 1443 gives real social equity applicants a fair chance to win an Illinois cannabis business license by vastly expanding the number of recreational dispensary licenses available to current social equity applicants, among other measures. After an initial 1A and 1B lottery, it also eliminates a current loophole that allows for those who hire social equity workers to qualify as social equity owners.

“This is not just an opportunity to sell cannabis,” said Jermell Chavis, a US Marine Corps veteran and social equity applicant whose application was rejected by 1 point in the first round.

“I’m looking to revitalize my community and revitalize my neighborhood. I want to rebuild what the War on Drugs tore down.”

Advocates recognized that this bill’s passage is only one step towards achieving accountability, equity and inclusion in Illinois’ cannabis industry.

“What we’re trying to do here is dismantle ninety years of drug policy that created a situation where we were locked out and locked up for decades,” said Gov. Pritzker’s Senior Advisor Toi Hutchingson.

“Undoing that will take a lot, and it will not end now. This is a continuing fight.”
I am not aware of other states that are prioritizing “social equity applicants” who were directly effected by the war on drugs and have an ownership stake in the business. Seems like a great step to me that can easily be replicated.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:11 PM
Plenary pleasures.

You would think that by now some weed cultivator in the world would have created some sort of strain that doesn't smell like skunk when burned..hell, I'd even go for a mesquite smell rather than what you actually get. I'm someone who regularly used to smoke, but now rely primarily on edibles.

I developed horrible insomnia and anxiety after grad school (thanks, architecture school!!), so THC has been a literal lifesaver for me because it allows me to comfortably get 7-8 hrs of sleep a night, so that I can be a functioning human the next day with no side effects.

I'm glad that Chicago (and Illinois at large) are at the epicenter of something like this..I also wonder what the state's tax revenue has been for 2021 compared to last-year-that-shall-not-be-uttered, when recreational became legal (and was still a successful blowout in terms of new tax revenue for the state).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
When weed becomes legalized at the federal level and banking restrictions get lifted, cannabis will instantly become one of the highest value commodities available on futures markets. This is Chicago's bread and butter! Makes perfect sense. And we recently had a long thread about which open verticals Chicago can try to lead. Isn't downstate Illinois' climate pretty good for large-scale hemp/cannabis cultivation? This seems like a no-brainer for the whole state to aggressively get after.
My Grandfather - along the Illinois/Indiana border grew hemp during WWII - it grows very very well in this area, like a weed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ I was just at a family reunion weekend hosted by my cousin over in SW Michigan (he's got about 100 acres of wooded land with ~1,000' of frontage on a small lake), and he was proudly showing off his personal-use cannabis plants (legal in MI) growing in his vegetable garden, which appeared to be thriving.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klippenstein View Post
https://www.clccrul.org/blog/2021/6/...quity-licenses

I am not aware of other states that are prioritizing “social equity applicants” who were directly effected by the war on drugs and have an ownership stake in the business. Seems like a great step to me that can easily be replicated.
California and Los Angeles have the same program from what I know

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 1:11 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
There's nothing wrong with this concept. However, we shouldn't make other people smell your smoke. It took decades to make tobacco smoker to realize that, and I hope it won't take that long with marijuana.

Now, it's a more subjective taken, I really find that US/Canada fascination childish. It's only a drug and it's not like people in the US won't take tons of other drugs anyway. And it's not only me. Netherlands started restricting marijuana in part due annoying and noisy American youngsters disturbing their streets.
The reason why the whole "fascination" seems childish to you is because you're imagining something that doesn't exist. As someone who has lived in NA his entire life I can tell you that it's just a normal, commonplace part of daily life. Even long before it was legalized here, it was totally normal to smell it when walking down the sidewalk. It's simply an activity that became popular because people enjoy it.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ You don’t think that Downstaters are joining the party?

On the business side of things, obviously Chicago is the place. But on the consumption end....well...weed can grow anywhere..
Yeah, people in St Louis day buy some right off the first exit into Illinois. The only problem with marijuana in Illinois is the price.

In regards to the smell, I was in LA on day one of the legalization, and I smelt it everywhere, ON DAY ONE! Lol. People couldn’t wait!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Yeah, people in St Louis day buy some right off the first exit into Illinois. The only problem with marijuana in Illinois is the price.

In regards to the smell, I was in LA on day one of the legalization, and I smelt it everywhere, ON DAY ONE! Lol. People couldn’t wait!
Lol it smelled like weed all over LA well before legalization

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i havent seen much in downstate dispensaries from downstate. its all chicago companies...
Well it is expected that Missouri will legalize recreational marijuana next month. I've heard that it will bring in big money to the state. I remember reading years ago that Missouri's climate and topography will produce some very potent marijuana, although I'm sure 95% of it will be grown indoors. With Monsanto and other ag-science companies being a St. Louis based company, I'd imagine some super strains will come out of the St. Louis area for sure.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Well it is expected that Missouri will legalize recreational marijuana next month.
Pennsylvania's state legislator is idiotic and refuses to pass recreational marijuana.

But weed is legal in NJ now so I just order online and go pick it up. There's a bunch of stores right off the bridges on the other side. I bought weed this summer with my Pennsylvania ID in Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Quebec, but can't buy it at the store in my neighborhood

I think what really annoys me is that anxiety was added to the medical list which basically means, anyone just need to have a doctor's visit for 10 minutes (which there are a lot of 'marijuana doctors' now) and pay for a medical card. It should just be legal.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Lol it smelled like weed all over LA well before legalization
There was room for even more apparently, LOL!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Pennsylvania's state legislator is idiotic and refuses to pass recreational marijuana.

But weed is legal in NJ now so I just order online and go pick it up. There's a bunch of stores right off the bridges on the other side. I bought weed this summer with my Pennsylvania ID in Massachusetts, New Jersey, and Quebec, but can't buy it at the store in my neighborhood

I think what really annoys me is that anxiety was added to the medical list which basically means, anyone just need to have a doctor's visit for 10 minutes (which there are a lot of 'marijuana doctors' now) and pay for a medical card. It should just be legal.
Missouri is a very strange state, when progressive referendums are put up to a vote (Medicaid expansion and medical marijuana recently) it is actually not near as right wing as people would believe. It's just heavily gerrymandered and largely rural state legislator pass these wacked out bills. I'd say Missouri is a pretty moderate state if you actually talk to everyday people. What's unfortunate is that the national Democrats have largely succeeded the state to Republicans. I remember when I was young, voters were against concealed carry, then the legislator overturned the voters and passed some of the most insane gun laws in the country. Recreational marijuana is expected to pass with ease and the Evangelicals are so upset that they want to basically ban voter approved constitutional amendments now.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Missouri is a very strange state, when progressive referendums are put up to a vote (Medicaid expansion and medical marijuana recently) it is actually not near as right wing as people would believe. It's just heavily gerrymandered and largely rural state legislator pass these wacked out bills. I'd say Missouri is a pretty moderate state if you actually talk to everyday people. What's unfortunate is that the national Democrats have largely succeeded the state to Republicans. I remember when I was young, voters were against concealed carry, then the legislator overturned the voters and passed some of the most insane gun laws in the country. Recreational marijuana is expected to pass with ease and the Evangelicals are so upset that they want to basically ban voter approved constitutional amendments now.
It use to be a swing state. The growth of places like Springfield and St Charles County, along with losses in the two big cities, pushed it to the right, it seems.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 3:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
It use to be a swing state. The growth of places like Springfield and St Charles County, along with losses in the two big cities, pushed it to the right, it seems.
two big differentiators for missouri:

1. MO's rural counties somehow manage to be even more deeply red than those of most other big states in the midwest.

2. the exurban counties of MO's big cities are also pretty damn red compared to many peer counties of other midwest cities.

for example, in 2020:

- st. charles county: +17.2

- lake county (chicagoland): +24.1
- oakland county (metro detroit): +14.1
- dakota county (twin cities): +13.9

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions