HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 9:06 PM

Question

A second phase of Baumhaus is finally coming. Something that I long expected given the site next door has been cleared/empty for some time.

Seems the initial plan is for 200 units in the new building. As you can see, it involves a skybridge. A design review document can be found here (google drive, but public). They are planning on taking out one of the two remaining small-scale buildings on the block - which doesn't surprise me since I knew they owned it and had previously been using it as a construction office. It's a shame they weren't able to buy the other one as well.

The residents of nearby Villa Court on Centre Avenue have raised objections. Basically their garages front on Dapper Way, and they're concerned that they may temporarily lose access, given during the first phase there was a road cave-in which resulted in one of the two intersections being closed for a year.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 10:30 PM

I really love that design. Even more so than the first Baumhaus. I know street-level retail is in the dumper right now, but I think both buildings are so long combined that they really need at least ONE chunky retail component. Coffee/cafe/corner store. With none, it's going to be a pretty desolate long walk past these buildings.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:17 AM

Very cool. I love a skybridge, and that design has a very Eurochic aesthetic (again!).

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I really love that design. Even more so than the first Baumhaus. I know street-level retail is in the dumper right now, but I think both buildings are so long combined that they really need at least ONE chunky retail component. Coffee/cafe/corner store. With none, it's going to be a pretty desolate long walk past these buildings.
There's a Crazy Mocha and an Aldi right across the street, so its not like there are no commercial amenities around there.

Come to think of it, that makes me wonder whatever happened to the plans to expand that building and build a parking garage on this site.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 4:41 PM

New Planning Commission presentation up for next week. Three new items, relatively small.

1. An amendment to the city zoning code which requires that all city-owned facilities be constructed to "sustainable" - meaning net-zero in terms of energy performance. I have no strong feelings on this either way. I mean, sustainability is a good thing, and it will undoubtedly save the city money when it comes to operating costs over the longer run. But in general I think tightening zoning code somewhere should be paired with loosening it elsewhere, otherwise we're just raising costs and making development harder. That said, it only applies to new construction on city property, so we're talking about relatively few instances over the next few decades.

2. The renovation of the still-existing roundhouse at Hazelwood Green. This looks like a nice adaptive reuse of a historic industrial structure, but it's relatively small potatoes even compared to what has been done with Mill 19.

3. Plans to add another 13 apartment units in the former Alcoa building by converting the 10th floor to residential use. It's a pretty straightforward floor plan with nine one bedrooms, three two bedrooms, and one three bedroom.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There's a Crazy Mocha and an Aldi right across the street, so its not like there are no commercial amenities around there.

Come to think of it, that makes me wonder whatever happened to the plans to expand that building and build a parking garage on this site.
I am not sure I would call Crazy Mocha an amenity.

I just walk that block almost every day, and it's always so silent. 1-2 more things in that area would give it a lot more life.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:28 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

That building looks great! The rents on those apartments kind of blow my mind; Almost coastal pricing in Pittsburgh but if that's what it takes to get some nice architecture I can almost stomach it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
I believe they added the roof park because there's an "open space bonus" available with Downtown zoning.

In addition, the weird orientation of the front stairway really seems to suggest it's being built so they can just cut through the concrete walls and directly attach a building to the front of it whenever the Cultural Trust gets its shit together. Hence it's really going to serve as an amenity to the building in the front (and maybe the rear as well).
Ah, got it. Yeah, makes a lot more sense to me as outdoor space primarily serving tenants of connected future residential.

Quote:
I like the current Baumhaus design overall, but I guess it's the interaction with the street/lack of it that kinda kills it for me.

And maybe it's just due to the fact that Baum is such an awful, high-speed thoroughfare. The building's ground floor is so close to traffic... making it a very uninviting place. Simply walking on the sidewalk along Baum totally sucks... so I can understand why I never see anyone sitting on those benches they have outside the lobby -- you would literally be sitting about 2-3 feet from 40 mph traffic. Hoping that this new development can somehow bring enough activity to that stretch to calm it down a bit.

Quote:
I am not sure I would call Crazy Mocha an amenity.
It's rather amazing how Crazy Mocha can make coffee taste so badly.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
That building looks great! The rents on those apartments kind of blow my mind; Almost coastal pricing in Pittsburgh but if that's what it takes to get some nice architecture I can almost stomach it.
IIRC the original building is basically a high-priced dorm for rich kids. Not only are most units fully furnished, but they come with maid service which changes your linen/towels and refills your shampoo/conditioner/bodywash dispensers.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
And maybe it's just due to the fact that Baum is such an awful, high-speed thoroughfare. The building's ground floor is so close to traffic... making it a very uninviting place. Simply walking on the sidewalk along Baum totally sucks... so I can understand why I never see anyone sitting on those benches they have outside the lobby -- you would literally be sitting about 2-3 feet from 40 mph traffic. Hoping that this new development can somehow bring enough activity to that stretch to calm it down a bit.
Personally I would convert a lane of Baum each way to bus only and then reroute all the Centre Avenue buses there. The great thing about Baum and Centre running parallel is the redundancy it builds into the system after all. You might as well go whole-hog with that and admit that Baum will be the vehicle sewer and concentrate on improving Centre for pedestrians.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
They're pricey, but also fully furnished with hotel-like services (housekeeping, laundry service, cable, wi-fi, gym, concierge service and social get-togethers) included. Basically, nice apartments for tech kids who are too busy in their important jobs and exciting creative social lives to take on adult responsibilities.

I'm sure the apartments are nice, but there is nothing too appealing about the location for me. I think the Baum-Centre corridor is one of my least favorite places in Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the apartments are nice, but there is nothing too appealing about the location for me. I think the Baum-Centre corridor is one of my least favorite places in Pittsburgh.
I think I've said before, but to me the Baum-Centre corridor feels a lot what other cities which aren't as lucky as us pass off as their urban core. It's a bunch of higher-density buildings interspersed with crappy autocentric buildings strung along high-speed roads. No consistent street wall, and no real pedestrian amenities beyond sidewalks.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
I think I've said before, but to me the Baum-Centre corridor feels a lot what other cities which aren't as lucky as us pass off as their urban core. It's a bunch of higher-density buildings interspersed with crappy autocentric buildings strung along high-speed roads. No consistent street wall, and no real pedestrian amenities beyond sidewalks.
Yeah, that's a good point.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Personally I would convert a lane of Baum each way to bus only and then reroute all the Centre Avenue buses there. The great thing about Baum and Centre running parallel is the redundancy it builds into the system after all. You might as well go whole-hog with that and admit that Baum will be the vehicle sewer and concentrate on improving Centre for pedestrians.
I love this idea.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It's rather amazing how Crazy Mocha can make coffee taste so badly.
Not surprising as the founder never drinks coffee!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 12:11 PM

I'd also sacrifice Baum to rescue Centre. It is hard for me to imagine fixing it as a pedestrian-friendly street.

Although I agree the immediate surroundings aren't great, the location is still right in the middle of the East End, with Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Shadyside, and East Liberty all nearby. And there is a Busway station nearby. So not a bad location overall.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:21 PM

If I remember my history correctly, Baum Blvd. used to end around Millvale Avenue, and then the bridge was built over the tracks to connect it with North Craig and Bigelow to make it an auto-only street with direct access to downtown. It was noteworthy that when it opened, it was the only major thoroughfare that was free of streetcar tracks, which made the trip in a car much faster. I'll have to go back to the old maps to see when that bridge appears. I think I have an old write-up about that revolutionary concept somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:38 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
That's a good point. Baum-Centre is a great area but could really be more appealing with a few tweaks.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

Although I agree the immediate surroundings aren't great, the location is still right in the middle of the East End, with Lawrenceville, Bloomfield, Shadyside, and East Liberty all nearby. And there is a Busway station nearby. So not a bad location overall.
Yeah, definitely... the proximity to Oakland, Shadyside, E Liberty is the selling point. And there are certainly all the amenities ones requires within walking distance. The immediate area is such a damn ugly mix of auto-oriented blandness in a rather dense location. It’s kind of a weird twilight zone area in between urban and suburban form.

Quote:
That's a good point. Baum-Centre is a great area but could really be more appealing with a few tweaks.
What’s great about the area? Aside from proximity.

I’m asking seriously... I very well might be missing the appeal. It just seems to me like a location that offers all the negatives of urban living with few of the positives (i.e., poor walkabilty, few local shops/restaurants)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:03 PM

I live just inside the Friendship area of Baum / Center near the Negley intersections. The appeal is that I can walk or bike pretty much anywhere in the East End "bluff" area in 20 minutes or less. East Liberty is 5-10 minutes, Bloomfield is 10 minutes, Shadyside is 10 minutes. There is a bus going in any direction almost every 5-10 minutes. Many times I just walk out the door and get on whatever bus is pulling up. You almost don't have to think about it, they come so frequently. Using bike share is a dream in this zone. You have your choice of any type of grocery store, gym, doctor, etc that you want within walking distance. And rents are reasonable. Baum/Center ain't cute, but it is jammed with amenities.

I stopped using my car so much that I ended up just getting rid of it. That was 5 years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations